What do you like most about Shenmue ?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

What do you like most about Shenmue ?

Postby Johnmiceter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:51 pm

What got you hooked on this game and what are the parts of Shenmue you enjoyed the most ?

For me, I love martial Arts, so i like the fact it revolves around fighting and learning new moves. I love how if you were at a place at a certain time you would run into strangers that could be either a grandmaster that would teach you a new move, someone that needs your help, maybe a gang and get into a fight( these were cool as i would experience different things to my friend). I also liked how you could play all these mini games and just knock on random peoples doors.

It was my favourite game i ever played and I had to be honest I thought i would never have the chance to continue the story. I hope Shenmue 3 can live up to the first 2 games and give us some new cool things as well.
Johnmiceter
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: What do you like most about Shenmue ?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:58 pm

The tedious day-to-day life aspect. I got caught up on the forklift route loop (unbeknownst to myself) during my first playthrough. Sure, I was frustrated at my inability to figure out how to progress with the story, but I loved just working all day long on it. Went on for about a fortnight n'all.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Anonymous81 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:53 pm

The slow, meticulous, day to day life aspect. Many games say "live another life." Only Shenmue ever really felt like that. Much less like a game and almost more like a sim, honestly.

But then it turns that on its head by also giving you great combat mechanics, fun side games (including complete ports of real arcade and console games,) and a fantastically heightened, mythology-based narrative. All wrapped up in a beautiful martial arts inspired package with a kung fu movie vibe.

Just... totally novel. There's nothing else like it. Playing it was almost a spiritual experience, to be honest.

Anonymous81 has received 2 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, Himuro
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:56 pm

I love the little game mechanics webbed to the core adventure, specially the combat. The whole martial arts philosophy aspect and troupes get to me every time I play the game.

While modern game storytelling takes on gritty and immoral characters in a corrupt world, Shenmue relies in its sincerity to tell you a tale about friendship, revenge and redemption, without a hint of cynicism. And it doesn't take itself too seriously, as seen by the humor present throughout the series.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:40 pm

Interaction

- Arcade games
-collecting toys
-lucky hit etc

Sadly, I don't like the actual mission design in SH but I like the world and style. I really hope they can change the mission design a lot. I noticed how bad it felt when Ryo went from person to person to find another person. My friend also felt super bored watching it. I hope they can expand on the talking like Mass Effect, but give mission design that is more meaningful and in depth.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Erevador » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:42 pm

The true sense that I am living another live. The realism. The verisimilitude. The attention to tiny details.
Erevador
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Drakul » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:17 am

Erevador wrote: The true sense that I am living another live. The realism. The verisimilitude. The attention to tiny details.

couldn't have said better so... QFT.
Drakul
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby joka » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:40 am

It's a lot of things combined but most of all would actually be the characters and the story.

That's why I was over the moon that it got to $2m as it meant the story would continue finally.
Last edited by joka on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:40 am

The simplest way to describe it is the overall attention to detail and purpose. It makes everything feel closer to you as a player, physically and emotionally. The game is bigger than the sum of it's parts, so that's how I would describe what's great about the game as concise as possible.

Other open world games have huge environments, but many times the world just feels like backdrop - like its purpose is level design instead of believability and immersion.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby ShenSun » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:50 am

Everything /Thread

ShenSun has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Coxy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:01 am

unexpected encounters
I'm not talking about random battles or shocking story revelations
just walking down to the park and seeing Nozomi, or running into Joy or Fangmei about town

that and those cool tucked away little scenes you might never find
Coxy
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:29 am

I like the story, the day to day life, the freedom to open any cabinet in Ryo's house, pick up random stuff and look at it, knock on any door.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:42 am

It's hard to explain, but for me it's the fact that you never know what you will do next, a bit like real life where anything can happen.

Most activities were limited in Gameplay because of the technology, but i really appreciated the variety.

Few examples? Were you expecting in Shenmue to drive a bike? Or in Shenmue 2 to catch leaves, spar in the darkness, or end up walking through a Forest?
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenRy092 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:56 am

I like that Shenmue takes gamer to another level like it's not just a video game anymore.
For example this Shenmue fan is awesome.

phpBB [video]
ShenRy092
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:15 am

ShenSun wrote: Everything /Thread
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue III