KS Suggetion- 2 player VS Fighting 5.5m- NPC head re. 10,000

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: KS Suggetion- 2 player VS Fighting 5.5m- NPC head re. 10

Postby Jackie Fhan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:41 am

Curios peter, do you like fighting games?

While they are something I don'tplay much with recently in the last 10 years, I feel it's more col to see ryo in that fighting game select menu and fighting levels. Seems so cool to me if your a Shenmue fan. I mean, it is a core component of the game and why it came about anyways.

Of course Shenmue should be made first for what it is, but I think it's possible and would help the franchise move on from 3.

I don't feel the shenmue fanbase would hate buying parts of the game myself, maybe I'm wrong? but seeing some of you spend and sell tings, can't see where it would hurt to get actual good content for a game we really like.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby johnvivant » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:32 am

it would be a nice if sega allowed them to copy and past virtua fighter 5 fighting mechanics, animations, maybe even the whole engine into shenmue 3, which could save a lot of work - but i'm not an expert so it might add a whole lot of work too.

something like this would make more sense after the 6 million 'advanced battle system' goal, not really before. i really like the idea though, and would love to have this feature in the game.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:04 am

I do enjoy fighting games when that's what their MO is. I don't enjoy fighting spin off, or characters appearing put of canon, like Smash Brothers brawl, or characters from franchises appearing in Stand alone fighting games.

If I fight as Ryo, or any other Shenmue character, I am fighting for the story I have invested in up until that encounter. It then becomes not just a stand alone fight, but part of the story. I enjoy fighting games when I know going into it that it's just that. A quick thrill to determine a winner. If I had Shenmue characters in a fighting game then I wouldn't have half an interest in them as I do with the world of Shenmue. It's no different to Ryo being in SASASR. Great exposure for Ryo, but I had a short attention span for the game itself. But with that, it was another developer and another person's money.

All money from this goes to Shenmue 3. Anything else is a waste imo. Even if it's for a quick buck.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Three Blades » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:11 am

Would it be as hard as people are making it out to be?
The NPC characters will already exist within the game, with their own move sets and animations already created. Is it really that hard to map each move to a button combination, just like Ryo's moves, and give you control of them?
The arenas would also be pulled straight out of the game, therefore, they already exist as well, and could be used in the VS. mode with little to no adjustments.

When I first played the fighting mode (or whatever it was called) in Shenmue 2 way back in 2001, I remember thinking, "It would be really cool if we could control those other characters and go head to head". Sure, I'm mostly in it for the main game, but it would be just one more thing to do after I've beaten it.

...if it's really that hard to program, then by all means, forget about it, it's not that important. But I can't see how a VS. mode would be that difficult to create, considering that all the characters, the arenas, and the whole fighting mechanics already exist within the main game itself. Literally, all they'd have to do would be to map all the NPC's moves to the correct input on the controller, and that's it.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:59 am

You don't like Fighters Megamix, peter? That's one of my favorite Saturn games. When questioned about it in the 1UP Interview, Yu Suzuki disavowed participation in the title and blamed it on another producer. Still, I love it.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Wude-Tang Clan
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby iyapol » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:13 am

I'm all for new ideas, but Shenmue is Shenmue and Virtua Fighter is Virtua Fighter and that's how things should remain.
Last edited by iyapol on Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

iyapol has received a thanks from: Wude-Tang Clan
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:13 am

I wouldn't mind that being there, but I*d probably not play that mode. Shenmue as a 2 player VS game? No... Just no, thanks.

Wouldn't mind a boss battle mode, which unlocks after you beat the game though. If you want something in the game to make extra money, do something like with the character profiles in the Passport for S1. Photo Album, character profile album, downloadable jackets for Ryo... Something like that. Something diehard fangirls and boys can take pride in and pay good money for.

But if the VS mode was cheap to make and would generate a lot of extra sales, why not? i don't have to play it if I don't like it, do I? I'd probably just stick to the Main Mode and leave the VS Mode alone and let people who like it have fun with it.

That being said, I think something like this should rank very, very low on Ys Net's priority list, if it was to be done. We all need to put all our efforts into making the core game superb.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amir » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:28 am

A Vs mode wouldn't be cheap, there's more than just mapping moves to buttons. One big thing is balancing; in the single-player game you're basically stronger than all your opponents (apart from maybe Master Baihu ;) ). Having online multiplayer means a lot of work on network code, even dedicated fighting games like Mortal Kombat X still have shitty netcode months after release.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:37 am

Very good point. As much as I love VF 3 I'm not anywhere near being a good player at it and I can easily wipe the floor with most opponents in both games. I only found a couple of fights difficult. One is Chai at the Arcade, because of the lack of space (I can easily kick Chai's ass at the harbour), the others are Eileen Edelweiss and Izumi Tokano (mostly because of the QTE). Other than that Ryo is basically way stronger than all the opponents.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yama » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:44 am

I've played fighters on a national level, I'm fully aware of what goes into making one, especially the insane amounts of bug testing and balancing. Again, VF is that way. It's not if I want it, what I want is the best Shenmue III possible and every minute should go into making Shenmue itself, not something else.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Jackie Fhan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:51 am

Yama wrote: I've played fighters on a national level, I'm fully aware of what goes into making one, especially the insane amounts of bug testing and balancing. Again, VF is that way. It's not if I want it, what I want is the best Shenmue III possible and every minute should go into making Shenmue itself, not something else.

Would it not make the fighting better if they added the 2v2 option? I would assume the fighting isn't that great for multiple styles and actual 2 player gameplay.

So, I see it as working in tandom. Having more elaborate styles and a better fighting style for the main game would go hand in and with putting it into a versus fighter.

So, he money does technically go into Shenmue 3 and the fighting would be much better for that reason. I can't see how this is a negative or how it's taking money away from SH#, unless you don't want he fighting to be better.

But I did agree that there was a chance they aren't making the fighting as good and maybe they don't have the budget for that, so these details and questions would have to go to the team.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yama » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:32 am

Because you're talking about an engine we know nothing about as is, so to assume we need to sink more into it is silly at this point. You can only go off of the last game and the engine was just fine. An unbalanced, throw together, just for fun vs mode based on whatever engine we have still would take resources, resources that again would be better fit for the actual game. Developing the fighting engine further if need be is fine, adding in a versus mode are resources burned. Nobody waited 14 years to play a fighter, we've had multiple good VF installments during that time.

We need DLC? Okay, then let's see Chapter 2.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Jackie Fhan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:14 pm

Yama wrote: Because you're talking about an engine we know nothing about as is, so to assume we need to sink more into it is silly at this point. You can only go off of the last game and the engine was just fine. An unbalanced, throw together, just for fun vs mode based on whatever engine we have still would take resources, resources that again would be better fit for the actual game. Developing the fighting engine further if need be is fine, adding in a versus mode are resources burned. Nobody waited 14 years to play a fighter, we've had multiple good VF installments during that time.

We need DLC? Okay, then let's see Chapter 2.

I know you want to see the story done right and the game created to the best of it's ability and that is a fair thing to care for.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yama » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks for understanding. I respect your opinion, I'm just strongly stating mine as I want to see the best for the game. At the end of the day we all do, surely.

Yama has received a thanks from: sand4fish
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:00 pm

I can't get behind this idea as well. Games like Tomb Raider (reboot) and The Last Of Us have multiplayer components outside the core game, and though they are a welcome diversion, no one really remembers them. It simply doesn't enhance the core experience, and so it's deemed to be a waste of resources. It's something Shenmue 3 specially can't spare.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Wude-Tang Clan
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III