KS Suggetion- 2 player VS Fighting 5.5m- NPC head re. 10,000

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

KS Suggetion- 2 player VS Fighting 5.5m- NPC head re. 10,000

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:34 pm

I thank ash for helping me spring this idea in my head.

People were saying we need something big between 5 an 6 million and I honestly can' think of something much more big than this. Probably a little more work than we think. But it can add so much to the game if implemented right. If they create a decent 2 player fighter mode then we have many options for income, exposure and more fans to play the game.

2 player Versus Mode
-Using many characters from the game
-Charcters from SH 1 2 and 3
Fighting arenas from SH 1 2 and 3
-DLC packs for characters from S1,S2, S3 (Ryo's dad etc)

DLC Packs for upgraded character models from
-Yakuza pack 5 characters
-Virtua Figther Pack 5 characters
-Yakuza Pack 2
-Virtua Fighter Pack 2
- Additional Fighting Arenas
-Clothing packs 10 pieces for $3.99

I know people want a new VF, FV (well, this is probably the best way to have this and do well) imo

Not only do we get a superb mode in sh and with sh characters, we also get Virtua Fighter basically. The fighting model just transfers over to Shenmue for double whammy.

I think the idea is to make it huge, perhaps as it does well. Give a different team a majority of the work and put the funding toward SH 4 and things such as this for SH4.

The next big reward would be

Your head model and clothes for the Fighting arena

$10,000

Maybe the majority of the post launch work could be handled by a different team and imo this is the best way to have mp in Shenmue so it doesn't affect single player. I guess it could be optional to have a fighting tourney in the game and have 2 players go at it.

-

Jackie Fhan has received 2 thanks from: Chaikilla, Esppiral
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Re: KS Suggetion- 2 player VS Fighting 5.5m- NPC head re. 10

Postby Amir » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:47 pm

2 player fighter mode would cost a lot to implement, I'm guessing even the single-player Advanced FREE Battle is costly, hence the gap between $5.1 million to $6 million.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Yu was considering putting out Chinese subtitles at some point. Why not that at $5.4 or something? Much simpler and cost effective.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:54 pm

Sounds good as I'm sure many of us here love fighting games such as myself, but this proposal also sounds really expensive and would probably require its own tier.

A basic version of Ai battling should feature for 5.5mill, have the exact same setup as shenmue 1 does for the 70 man battle.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:55 pm

Amir wrote: 2 player fighter mode would cost a lot to implement, I'm guessing even the single-player Advanced FREE Battle is costly, hence the gap between $5.1 million to $6 million.

Depending on how you look at it
Is it worth it for promotion.

I remember a man name todd McFarlane paid something like 2.3 million for mark m. baseball

People said he was crazy, Todd later said it helped him get into sports and merchandise talks with MLB, NBA, NFL etc

He said it made him so much more money and that it was a business choice , as well as a way to poke fun at his sports loving bros

I don't think it would cost that much to implement since they are already adding fighting (already have styles and modes for it with VF)

I believe it's a smart business choice

More money for DLC
EVO promotion
Fighting Fans will like it that won't play all of SH

This is how business works , you spend some to get some.

Not to mention this would also have to be the biggest 10,000 tier easily. We can assume a lot, I know but

if it didn't have at least 20 backers by the end of the KS I'd be surprised.
I'm also sure they could work a deal for outside funding for such a project.

I'd agree with you guys it could be too late to enter this into the KS, but it still needs to be in the game somehow.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yama » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:01 pm

Waste of resources. Pop in VF.

Yama has received 2 thanks from: Phong, wataro
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:05 pm

yama, do you think SH4 will happen without some sort of effective DLC? Post launch buys and other such endeavors?

I don't even know if another KS would be less or more effective for it as well. I'd rather have things that bring I revenue and a solid title. I'm just considering the future of the franchise.

I don't believe SH3 will sell millions and I don't think companies will jump at the chance to support it. YS can support themselves with such packages and sell the game to a bigger audience.

I also disagree because they already have the resources. Seems like good use of their rescources since many characters are barely used in the game.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Axm » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:15 pm

Sounds like a completely separate game after Shenmue 4 comes out and the story is finished. A milk the fanbase one more time kind of thing if Shenmue turns into some kind of massive success.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Axm wrote: Sounds like a completely separate game after Shenmue 4 comes out and the story is finished. A milk the fanbase one more time kind of thing if Shenmue turns into some kind of massive success.

I see it as a way for to fund Shenmue and get something actually worth while.
I don't even care about being an npc in the game or my face or photo. Posters and things are cool but what I like with a game is actual in game content. That should always be first and that is what I'd put my money into.

This is the biggest take away. You don't take it out of the franchise, you incorporate the franchise into something bigger. A potential hub or sega things.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Axm » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:01 am

These things arent free. They cant just spend a day poping out a multiplayer mode or promiss anything like this for the future when the main priority is getting the main game(s) finished first. A majority of the fans dont want resources spent on filler content when it could be spent on making the actual single player game we all know and love better.

Save it for when we have Suzuki rolling in options for what to do next. Right now we just need a good bare bones basic Shenmue game and thats hard enough to get as it is.
Your heart is in the right place man but ya, no..its just not realistic atm.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Himuro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:38 am

I'd love this so much.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jackie Fhan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:10 am

I don't think the costs are a high as some of you are thinking. I also don't have any idea of the costs and I guess it would depend on the base fighting engine. I would imagine it's harder to create a decent AI fighting system than having the two inputs work for two players. Unless he base fighting isn't very good and it's just there for show. I do feel the fighting engine in Shenmue was a bit simple and wasn't really like VF in feel or depth for me. If that is what they are shooting for then no it wouldn't work. BUT

If are making the fighting good I the game regardless I don't think the costs are high like your saying.
They already have the levels for the fighting arena, how much does it really cost to put two charcter models in front o a location from the game? You may not even need to change much at all and man how damn awesome would it be to see some of the better, nicer, beautiful or interesting locations in a fighting stage plane. And honestly, how much work does it take to

take ryo, land di out of the game and put them in front of shenhua's home along with various other locations? I mean, I am sure there are some technical things, some visual assets but the main costs and work are already finished. I don't think they need to change much of the fighting locations at all If they choose a good location spot. Now, if there fighting engine isn't fit for 2 players versus and their hit detection and combo system , reversals aren't made for it. Then, I can understand the issues with time and cost.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:33 am

I would love this feature if we were getting a fully funded Shenmue III (or at the very least, something much more simplified/small scale). I think you're underestimating how much work has to be done to do this, though. First off, Ryo is really the only character in the game with a fully realized move-set. You'd have to multiply that by how many other characters will appear in the game, plus make the move-sets and fighting style unique. Then you're talking about a lot of modeling and animation work, and the fact they have to make an entirely new fighting system anyways. It's pretty much asking to make an entire fighting game, in addition to Shenmue III. Additionally, the fighting game genre is competitive and there's no margin for error, so that means that you'd need to invest in a lot of money into this feature.

I did like the ability to replay boss fights from Shenmue II with additional challenges, so I hope something like that can return and maybe be more fleshed out.

Tomato Convenience Store has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby ash55 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:39 am

It'd certainly be cool to see, but we live in reality. And this is a bad thing to prioritise IMO. Something like that would make sense for like a 13m stretch goal maybe once Suzuki has done everything he wants to achieve with the base game.

I absolutely love multiplayer games, I base my game purchases on factors like "does it have co-op or not?". But Shenmue's strength isn't multiplayer. It's the world. If there was an online feature that enhanced the single player experience then yes, it might be cool as a low priority (like in Dark Souls it uses a lot of online features to make the world feel more alive). I would rather they made the single player the best it can be before moving on to multiplayer features though.

If your idea is a feature that generates money... I was trying to think of something they could do. Everyone hates microtransactions, so I was thinking about how they could generate revenue, without feeling like the game is trying to extract cash from you. What if in Passport, you could buy random packs which filled a virtual passport or photo album with bonus things like concept art, music tracks, video interviews, etc.

They'd be interesting bits of fluff completely separate from the actual game (no holding of in-game items to ransom). But that collector's attitude may appeal to mega fans (of which Shenmue has many) who are happy to support the game if they can afford it. Effectively, it's like adding a Paypal option into the game itself. And if you can't afford it or don't want to... it's just fluff, and you could probably find it on the internet too. The main appeal would be the mega-fan's ability to take pride in their collection, and what that collection represents in terms of monetary support for the project.

All in all, offers a bit of extra revenue, doesn't impact the game at all outside of a in-game companion app. If this all sounds really dumb... nevermind me.
ash55
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: TFMash55
XBL: ash55
Steam: ash55

Postby Peter » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:59 am

I would have zero interest in that and prefer the money went into the actual game.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: wataro, Yama
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Next

Return to Shenmue III