PG Shenmue III Publicity Proposal that Rises from the Ashes

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

PG Shenmue III Publicity Proposal that Rises from the Ashes

Postby BunBunF » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:14 am

You guys locked the last topic right when I had an idea and was editing it, y'know? Although I guess that wouldn't have changed anything. But given the response, I really wish I'd thought of this sooner.

A flash mob of Ryo cosplayers at least 200 strong -- armed with placards and possibly body art reading "SHENMUE YSNET" -- lay siege to a popular American harbor or port, insisting and demanding that they be taken to Hong Kong. The troupe of Ryo-players would do their best in playing the role; rather than raucously screaming and shouting, they'd employ Ryo's temperament and some of his best English language lines in addressing the boating families, amateur yachtsmen, and/or harbor workers, baffling them with the singularly suave stylings of Mr. Corey Marshall.

So basically, it'd be one big, bizarre skit of Ryo-senshi re-enacting well known scenes and dialogue from the games. I feel like it would be best if the chosen locale were a commercial port; the Ryo-senshi would seem even more out of place than they would at a recreational harbor, maximizing strangeness and in turn, news value. Not to mention the mix that is the earnest pleas of the pure, determined Ryo and the especially confused reactions of rugged, masculine dockworkers. And while hopefully there would be people outside the Ryo-senshi who'd decide to take pictures, record video, share it, the Ryo-senshi would have designated videographers recording all the shenanigans as well, or it could be done by plainclothes companions to the group, ensuring we have content ourselves to circulate.

One final touch, either supplementing our incursion into a prominent east coast/west coast port, or even serving as the sole demonstration, if preferred by the fanbase for its even greater simplicity: We find a retail store -- Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Kroger, mom-and-pop place -- that has a capsule toy machine. Any place that has them left! The Ryo-senshi, hundreds strong, line up around the block to get a capsule toy from this machine. And if they run out, we just migrate to another, till no Ryo is left without some manner of cheap plastic/rubber tchotchke to call his own. Again, recorded and disseminated by us, and hopefully many others.

What do you think? Nothing objectionable or "obscene" here — just silly but robust Shenmue roleplaying, totally PG! Not gonna get warned for this, am I? Obviously not the same as my previous proposal. Call me crazy, but I think it's still plenty doable at this point. Remember that we the Shenmue faithful should easily be able to rope in friends and family for the fun if amassing this many fans proves too great a challenge. Plus the cosplay is extremely fudgeable, i.e. settling for a brown windbreaker over a leather jacket or genuine merchandise — we're not out to win any Con competitions, so as long as we're getting it across with blue jeans, brown jackets, and hair worn short and spiky, it'll suffice. Honestly, if the will and passion are there, this could happen.

Although some minor rehearsal may be optimal... Like I said, we don't want a bunch of raving crazies shouting over each other. We should all be doing our best in modulating our voices to achieve likeness to Ryo's, drawing on the same repertoire of lines, or at least maintaining the theme. We could structure things too so that, rather than all of us trying to talk at once, we're playing off one another — we'd only fire off Ryo-isms in turn or in response to Ryo-senshi who let loose before us, filling the lulls of each other's vocalizations. Also, I think it'd be a nice touch -- were we to do the capsule toy and harbor besiegement initiatives in tandem -- if we held our capsule toys in hand, gesturing toward the people while we make the heartfelt plea, "Help me get to Hong Kong!" Almost as if the toys were being offered as fare. ANYTHING to make the situation more subtly weird. The weirder, the better.

And of course, if my hope of a Ryo army uniting for the cause is but a pipe dream, please, please, PLEASE: Anyone out there, reading this... Please consider whether or not there is anything you can do or come up with in this last week that might raise awareness, aside from the typical hashtagging and point-blank supplication for pledges. Even if it's as simple as a tattoo, odd patterned haircut, or shirt/outfit advertising the game and Kickstarter. Just don't wait for the last day, as whatever you do -- big or small -- should have at least 24 hours to sink in and get around, if it indeed gets around. In the end, I only want to give Shenmue III its best chance at fulfilling its promise and vision. I hope you all join me in a sincere brainstorm.
BunBunF
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: BoF

Re: PG Shenmue III Publicity Proposal that Rises from the As

Postby johnvivant » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:31 am

it would be great if mega64 was involved in something like this. they could basically re-enact their famous shenmue skit, but this time as a publicity stunt with hundreds of fans all doing the same thing - approaching people with 'Ryo-isms'. they could also film it and edit it together for their site. would be great for the campaign. is it too late to arrange such an event?

it maybe be problematic 'besieging' a port/harbour though, since it might be dangerous and interfere with the operations there. it would have to something that is just fun and harmless that would raise publicity. we don't want shenmue associated with some negative 'nuisance' event.
Last edited by johnvivant on Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:35 am

Nah, I liked the last idea.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: ElephantStone, Reprise
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby BunBunF » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:04 pm

johnvivant wrote: it would be great if mega64 was involved in something like this. they could basically re-enact their famous shenmue skit, but this time as a publicity stunt with hundreds of fans all doing the same thing - approaching people with 'Ryo-isms'. they could also film it and edit it together for their site. would be great for the campaign. is it too late to arrange such an event?

it maybe be problematic 'besieging' a port/harbour though, since it might be dangerous and interfere with the operations there. it would have to something that is just fun and harmless that would raise publicity. we don't want shenmue associated with some negative 'nuisance' event.

Now there's an idea! Recruiting popular personalities from the online community, like Mega64, to produce material or a really snazzy documentary of the demonstration. I do fear, however, that there wouldn't be enough time at this point to edit such a video or get it to a point where it's entertaining and persuasive enough, before the KS ends. Maybe it could be saved for PayPal, if/when it launches... A Mega64 skit could certainly be a big boon, but I don't know if we'd able to reap the benefit for the Kickstarter.

And you're certainly right that logistical challenges can arise from many people "laying siege" to a commercial port or harbor. It is possible to imagine ways one could get hurt or cause unnecessary trouble in this circumstance... At the same time, I feel that with application of common sense, we'd be able to play it by ear as we went. Say, if a ship's coming into port... Well, we just don't go that far into the port. Certainly not all the way out onto the docks or piers. Steering well clear of cargo containers and any equipment transporting them... That sort of thing. And I also have to point out that there's a good chance there'd be arrests regardless of exactly what we did or where we did it, for reasons pertaining to public protest and demonstration permits issued by municipalities for mass assembly. I don't think we'd be able to procure those, even with ample time. Although personally, I'd be willing to take the arrest for something so minor, and I would hope that in this day and age that -- as long we do use common sense about safety and stuff -- that it would not be perceived as a nuisance so much as it would go viral.

MiTT3NZ wrote:Nah, I liked the last idea.

Let's not go there. I will say Wude-Tang's response alone made it worth it for me, though.
BunBunF
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: BoF

Postby Phong » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Early on in the campaign I floated the idea of a flash mob of people doing the Tai Chi routine that people do in the parks in Hong Kong in Shenmue II. That would have taken a lot of work but wow would it have been cool. :)
Phong
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Snakiest » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:52 pm

Just... Get a job and donate more money, will ya?

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:57 pm

phpBB [video]

Get her to organize it.

*Warning* It's awful.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss