"Indie" or "AAA" game?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

"Indie" or "AAA" game?

Postby Kobe » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:16 am

Quotes from Yoshida:

"This is not a Sega project, they are doing this as an indie studio and Yu has a small team"

"It's Indie Development which is why he chose kickstarter to seek funding"

I am actually holding on, hoping for Shenmue 3 to be a big-ass AAA title and re-living the legend of 1&2... this is just a little disappointing in all fairness but we will surely just have to paitiently wait and see what they show next E3 right? They did say they would give them a lot of support when the kickstarter is successful (which it is) but I'm cautiously optimistic at this time. I have a feeling it's going to be low budget and seem extremely dated unless Yu has a golden backup plan. I fully understand the concept behind "how much we give counts" but seriously, is an indie game what we even want, what do you guys think?
Kobe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: "Indie" or "AAA" game?

Postby Himuro » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:30 am

am actually holding on, hoping for Shenmue 3 to be a big-ass AAA title and re-living the legend of 1&2

Ahahahaha, Shenmue III? AAA?! Are you joking?! :rotflmao:

The game is indie.
Last edited by Himuro on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Reprise
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby PILMAN » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:30 am

We are getting to see what happens after Shenmue 2, isn't that good enough? Why does it have to be a AAA title?

PILMAN has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Reprise
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:32 am

Why would a Shenmue fan expect Shenmue III, after the colossal budget of the first two games, to be AAA (really, really big bucks)? Why in the world would you expect this?

Himuro has received a thanks from: Reprise
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:40 am

Shenmue 4 is the AAA.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Mr357 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:47 am

Himuro wrote: Why would a Shenmue fan expect Shenmue III, after the colossal budget of the first two games, to be AAA (really, really big bucks)? Why in the world would you expect this?

Well, on a similar note, it was ludacris for anyone to expect Shenmue 3's announcement.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Gavan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:55 am

We have had a thread about this before. I think it will be somewhere in between a AAA and an indie game. I would love a AAA Shenmue too, but we have to be realisitic. I am sure it will still be a great game though.
Gavan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby raunchy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:10 pm

the game doesnt need to be AAA in this day and age. all of the mechanics and game systems that costed $$$ back then are easy and simple now.

raunchy has received a thanks from: Reprise
raunchy
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Waiting for Fall games

Postby Himuro » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:12 pm

Mr357 wrote:
Himuro wrote: Why would a Shenmue fan expect Shenmue III, after the colossal budget of the first two games, to be AAA (really, really big bucks)? Why in the world would you expect this?

Well, on a similar note, it was ludacris for anyone to expect Shenmue 3's announcement.

Expecting Shenmue III is one thing. Expecting it to be AAA (hundreds of millions spent by an invested party on development and marketing) is another. If Shenmue was going to return it was never going to be AAA, and the fact that the only tiers that exist now in gamers minds is AAA or indie is fucking sad given the history of this business. We used to have all kinda of types of games and budgets, from indie, to d, c, b, all the way down to a, aa, and aaa but now only two of those exists now apparently?

Looking at the 10m figure, Shenmue III looks like it could very well be a B game.

Some B games:

Not all games are AAA, people. Jeez.

Let me spell out what AAA means. GTAV cost 300 million dollars to make and advertise. Destiny cost 500 million. THAT is AAA. And you are expecting Shenmue III to be AAA? :rotflmao:

Himuro has received a thanks from: Fei Fong Wong
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby kanso » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:17 pm

Independent Development ≠ low quality, poor, and bad. There are a number of indie games that are superb, and there are a number of AAA games that are bad. Just because a game is being developed by an independent studio does not mean the game will lack the quality a game like Shenmue should probably have.

So to ask this is a bit irrelevant considering Shenmue III is actually happening and members of the core team have managed to gather together and get the community, fans, Kickstarter backers, Sony, and Shibuya Productions to support them.

The game is being developed independently, which mean Yu Suzuki and co. can pursue their ideas within reason with less pressure from executives that may have little interest in the development process and the game itself. Yu Suzuki has seemingly managed to negotiate logical publishing deals with Sony Third Party Production & Developer Relations and Shibuya productions. This saves on costs. So if anything, a game like Shenmue has the opportunity to thrive as a game/series continued by indie developers who have experience and respect in the industry.

This is a good thing.

kanso has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, JaySw34
kanso

Currently playing: Destiny

Postby Kobe » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:38 pm

But do you really think indie is the way to go about this? Using the UE4 engine and creating the game using funds from the KS is good but what this means is that the game probably won't be as good as the originals in terms of how much depth and detail they delivered. Yes, we DO want the game, and for it to be similar to 1&2 or even the exact, complete copy of it but granted that it is to be indie just makes it look a little pathetic since we're talking about Shenmue here, a groundbreaking game just with the lack of mass sales.

This being said, we must get something that isin't shitter than the golden Shenmue 1 and 2. I highly speculate that this isin't going to to be the case IMO.
Kobe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Reprise » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:53 pm

I personally think I'll wait until development starts and we actually have, like, any details. We have no idea what they can and cannot do with the budget, nor what hits the game will take and whether it will be detrimental to the experience or not. We also don't know what new ideas Yu has (other than the few he has mentioned in the stretch goals) and how these could enhance (or not enhance) the experience.

In other words, let's wait and see.

Reprise has received a thanks from: Kobe
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ash55 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:59 pm

Himuro wrote:Destiny cost 500 million. THAT is AAA. And you are expecting Shenmue III to be AAA? :rotflmao:

This isn't accurate. That 500 million figure for Destiny is across the next 10 years of the franchise.

Still a ton of money (per game) compared to what Shenmue III will be getting, so I'm not disputing your point.

On the topic: The good thing is that since the gaming industry has moved on, there's never been a better time to be an indie developer. I imagine a lot of Shenmue's features can be easily set up in UE4.
ash55

PSN: TFMash55
XBL: ash55
Steam: ash55
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:35 pm

I wouldn't class Siren: Blood Curse as a B game or even in the same stratosphere as Deadly Premonition (which was a low budget game). Siren: Blood Curse was expensive and one of the best looking games on the PS3 (from the same guy who later delivered one of the best looking games on the Vita in Gravity Rush), especially from a Japanese developer.

On topic, there's this other tier called "mid-tier" I've heard the best games are made in this area. Not everything needs to be AAA or indie, ya know.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:39 pm

Why can't it be something in the middle?

Nor AAA and neither indie?
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III