Cedric bomb updates ???

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Cedric bomb updates ???

Postby Jibby » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:13 pm

I don't think it will be I and II HD.
Actually, I think that making HD remakes would be more expensive and difficult than making Shenmue III. With a remake, they'd have to do loads of extra checks to ensure that everything is the same (even the smallest little events) and with games as large and expansive as Shenmue I and II it will be a very tricky task. I'd also imagine that they'd want to re-dub things as I doubt it would even pass for 'so-bad-it's-good' by today's standards.
With Shenmue III, there is a clean slate to work with.

HD ports on the other hand are viable, but we need to ask ourselves if we really want that and if it will make a good impression of the franchise.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:15 pm

Jibby wrote: I don't think it will be I and II HD.
Actually, I think that making HD remakes would be more expensive than making Shenmue III. With a remake, they'd have to do loads of extra checks to ensure that everything is the same (even the smallest little events) and with games as large and expansive as Shenmue I and II it will be a very tricky task. I'd also imagine that they'd want to re-dub things as I doubt it would even pass for 'so-bad-it's-good' by today's standards.

HD ports on the other hand are viable, but we need to ask ourselves if we really want that and if it will make a good impression of the franchise.

I think remake is just a misuse. We all think about a HD port indeed.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Gavan
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:15 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote:
Shenhua-Nani? wrote:
shredingskin wrote:
Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Shenmue HD remakes can't happen now

Why not ?

Because we are too far from release, if the remakes happen they will be out closer to Shenmue 3 release imo, not now.

Do you not understand what an announcement is?

Yes, but they have been dead silent so far, i'm not expecting anything from sega.

Hope im wrong though.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:16 pm

shredingskin wrote:
BlueMue wrote: In any way, Cedric sure knows how to get us hyped.

To be honest awesome japan is clueless, got "good" with the ps4 and riding the 3rd, then again drifting to nowhere.

It's not hard to hype guys that have been waiting for anything 14 years lol

Cedric seems to understand.

Agreed.
AJ is relying almost exclusively on the existing fanbase.
Curious to see what Cedric has up his sleeve.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Jibby » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:21 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Jibby wrote: I don't think it will be I and II HD.
Actually, I think that making HD remakes would be more expensive than making Shenmue III. With a remake, they'd have to do loads of extra checks to ensure that everything is the same (even the smallest little events) and with games as large and expansive as Shenmue I and II it will be a very tricky task. I'd also imagine that they'd want to re-dub things as I doubt it would even pass for 'so-bad-it's-good' by today's standards.

I think remake is just a misuse. We all think about a HD port indeed.

I'm worried about ports though. Shenmue's engine is a bit clunky and far from perfect. I also remember a rumor that SEGA didn't even develop Shenmue's engine and that it was bought/licensed from some company who are now out of business. I don't know if that's true, but if it it, wouldn't that mean that they couldn't tweak the engine and add things such as new lighting effects and stuff?
I'm just scared that awful ports are going to put people off Shenmue III.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:22 pm

They can just do a well optimized emulator wrap, like nintendo virtual console.

That is HD, they can add aa, filters, etc. (that most emulators have).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Maybe Sega accepts HD remake or Microsoft to invest if the kickstarter reaches a precise amount of money like Sony did for the physical disc ?

as much as I would like to see the game on all platforms I just can't see why Sony would agree to help with funding if it comes to xbox one, it makes no sense for them as a business... they have to get something out of this...

I think the only possible bomb they could drop (which would make a difference to KS funding) would be a confirmed HD release coming 2016 and while I don't think it would take us as high as the PS4 physical I think it would be enough to push us passed 5 million comfortably, which right now is looking somewhat dicey...

if they want to be particularily evil they could say you must pledge on kickstarter if you want to carry your save from Shenmue 2 HD into Shenmue 3 :) sure.. they wouldn't do that..that would be pure evil.. but that would be a rather satisfying kick in the nadgers of the stingy f*ckers who won't pledge.
Last edited by RiGoRmOrTiS on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:29 pm

Jibby wrote:
I'm worried about ports though. Shenmue's engine is a bit clunky and far from perfect. I also remember a rumor that SEGA didn't even develop Shenmue's engine and that it was bought/licensed from some company who are now out of business. I don't know if that's true, but if it it, wouldn't that mean that they couldn't tweak the engine and add things such as new lighting effects and stuff?
I'm just scared that awful ports are going to put people off Shenmue III.

When you look at the Shenmue credits, you can see a lot of obscure logo companies so it's a valuable theory. Not an excuse however, they had 14 years to negotiate the right properties. But Sega is Sega...

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:32 pm

My friend who is a Shenmue fan has an Xbox One and says he isn't going to buy a ps4 for just Shenmue III and Last Guardian. He says he'll pledge if they include a One version.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:33 pm

Himuro wrote: My friend who is a Shenmue fan has an Xbox One and says he isn't going to buy a ps4 for just Shenmue III and Last Guardian. He says he'll pledge if they include a One version.

I'd argue he isn't that much of a Shenmue fan then... given there are plenty of exclusives on both systems to warrant a purchase and the game is over 2 years away... just my opinion though.

Yokosuka wrote:
When you look at the Shenmue credits, you can see a lot of obscure logo companies so it's a valuable theory. Not an excuse however, they had 14 years to negotiate the right properties. But Sega is Sega...

yeah I think the issue is they created the engine from scratch but used many different technologies in its development, all of which have licensing attached to them so it would have been a lot of hassle and if they thought there wasn't a market for it they wouldn't bother..

.. however now with the success on kick starter they may re-evaluate that and actually think its worth the hassle to get the HD ports out there. (I hope).. don't think it'll boost KS like PS4 tier, but it'll help us get past 5 million.
Last edited by RiGoRmOrTiS on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:35 pm

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:
Himuro wrote: My friend who is a Shenmue fan has an Xbox One and says he isn't going to buy a ps4 for just Shenmue III and Last Guardian. He says he'll pledge if they include a One version.

I'd argue he isn't that much of a Shenmue fan then... given there are plenty of exclusives on both systems to warrant a purchase and the game is over 2 years away... just my opinion though.

Eh, you can argue that but I'm not sure it matters. We need people like him to pledge!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:36 pm

if think an xbox announcement would take us past 6 million very quickly, maybe even 7. this combined with the final general push could even see us hitting 8.

i don't think hd ports would have nearly as great an impact (but i do really really want them and they would have some impact for sure) - all guesses mind you.
Last edited by johnvivant on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:39 pm

Himuro wrote:
Eh, you can argue that but I'm not sure it matters. We need people like him to pledge!

here's the thing though, advertising is very very expensive, far more than we would ever make on the kick starter, Sony are funding that, funding production is also expensive, add that on top.. you say we need Xbox One customers to pledge, I'd argue we would be worse off if that was an option because it would never match the money Sony is putting down...

sure if Sony said "go ahead, we will still provide help" then those extra people would be super helpful, but Sony would be insane to do that.. its just throwing money away.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:44 pm

Some games just get better coverage just by being exclusive, and some fanboys will buy it just for being on X console.

Today PS4 is ahead in the race, and I think it will mantain the breach.

But to be honest, if you REALLY want to play the game, you can just play it on pc (by 2017/18 a cellphone will be as potent as a ps4/xbox one). Not being on X electrodomestic it's just an excuse.
Last edited by shredingskin on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:44 pm

shredingskin wrote: Not being on X electrodomestic it's just an excuse.

yup, pretty much.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III