Why PayPal?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Why PayPal?

Postby Kobe » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:03 am

The demand for PayPal seems to be insane. I can see what you mean that some people aren't able to pledge due to certain circumstances and people's cards being an issue but really, if PayPal was to be an option, I wouldn't see a much bigger increase of backers and/or pledges being higher since it just doesn't seem that big of an issue that we don't have it.
Kobe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Why PayPal?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:09 am

The biggest issue is KS' regional restrictions. Some countries can only pay via certain methods, and others can't pledge at all. But yes, it is an issue, unfortunately.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby NeoShredder » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:15 am

I know people are willing to just donate after the Kickstarter, but I hope they offer something for Paypal donations....
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:06 am

NeoShredder wrote: I know people are willing to just donate after the Kickstarter

^I think this is the real reason people want a Paypal option. After the KS has finished, we can keep donating toward development costs. I already stated in another thread that I'd be able to part with at least $500 a month if this was an option.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby joka » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:16 am

As i understand it theres pretty much 3 reasons for asking for paypal.

1. Some people don't agree with Kickstarter- not 100% sure why but probably the cut they take (Riku has been vocal here on this so can probably clarify).

2. The more general reason is as mentioned above- existing backers/non backers would like the option of continuing to fund after KS closes. Not going to lie I didn't even know this was possible pre-S3 getting announced but from my understanding this has been hugely successful for other games (star citizen is it?).

3. There's also a few people that don't have debit/credit cards or can't because of the regional issues but would still like to pledge.
Last edited by joka on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

joka has received a thanks from: Dragon St.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Eisuke7 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:22 am

I for one, would be able to pledge an additional 200 dollars on top of the 300 dollars I'm currently pledging if Paypal would be available. So yes, it is a pretty big issue.
Eisuke7
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby zach » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:26 am

I had to buy a debit card for 10 euros and for every 150 euro i charge on it, I have to pay 2 euro's additional costs.
On top of that extra taxes(1,5%?) because I buy something from outside europe.
Ok it is not a lot, but I'd rather give my money directly.
zach
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 4, Cave Story

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:22 am

joka wrote:1. Some people don't agree with Kickstarter- not 100% sure why but probably the cut they take (Riku has been vocal here on this so can probably clarify).

I've seen many Kickstarter's not come to anything and everyone who has pledged hasn't got their money back. Kickstarter have nothing in place to try and get people their money back for a product they paid for. One guy was taking the piss out of everyone and destroying all the stuff that came with their pledges for everyone too see and Kickstarter just turned a blind eye. If people want to donate to it that's fine but they should know the risks. I just think it's kinda shitty and won't put my money towards it if they get a cut and don't care about helping get the product out the door or refunding in any way. It may not work for a product that's 2 years away but Paypal take steps to really look after people who get fucked over and get them their money back in a better way then Kickstarter.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:33 am

This is will probably be the first and only time i ever donate to a kick starter. I have stated my issues before with KS, but paypal is so much more secure and international. Just their security alone makes it a really nice option to me. I'll use the kickstarter for what its good for, getting my signed collectors edition with a bunch of awesome shenmue goodies I would never be able to get other wise. I hope im able to help out a little bit more after the KS ends. I am hoping there will be some kind of paypal option we can donate to, all they need is an email address.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Reprise » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:50 am

I've had my fair share of problems with Kickstarter projects.

My OUYA arrived so late, that it was already available to buy at stores and I, a backer, was still waiting! In addition, I was supposed to get a second controller, but that came separately like 2 months later.

Pier Solar HD - I'm still waiting for the Dreamcast version... I think it was supposed to come out like nearly 2 years ago....

And do I give a shit? No, not really. I doubt many companies go out of their way to screw customers and people who donated over. It just comes with the territory that small independent companies might have some hitches along the way. I trust Yu Suzuki and I'd happily give my left nutsack to pledge money towards Shenmue 3. I've waited 14 years for this moment. I am not going to miss the money I donated. It's just money. It doesn't mean anything in the long term. I might kick myself if I suddenly lose my job, my wife loses her job, our car breaks down, the boiler breaks down and the house gets flooded and our possessions get ruined, but I can't imagine that's all likely to happen at once.

So sure, if in December 2017 there is no sign of Shenmue 3 and we're still waiting in 2020, yep, it'll suck, but I'll regret nothing.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:16 pm

I don't have a problem with Kickstarter. I've never been burned by them or publishers as I've never contributed before Shenmue 3. But I wouldn't put money into ANYTHING that I would lose sleep over if it never panned out. I really don't see PayPal bringing in very much money but I could be wrong. It would be contingent upon people getting the same rewards as Kickstarter backers get.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Reprise » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:43 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote: I don't have a problem with Kickstarter. I've never been burned by them or publishers as I've never contributed before Shenmue 3. But I wouldn't put money into ANYTHING that I would lose sleep over if it never panned out. I really don't see PayPal bringing in very much money but I could be wrong. It would be contingent upon people getting the same rewards as Kickstarter backers get.

Kickstarter get 5% and it's fair enough, they're a business.

Reprise has received a thanks from: elfshadowreaper
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby wataro » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:09 pm

There is NO good reason to NOT accept paypal, bitcoin, cheque, cash in post, voluntary work.

Its like they hate money. But I sincerely hope they get paypal set up before the end crikey!
wataro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:11 pm

Kobe wrote: The demand for PayPal seems to be insane.

And should be, because of region restrictions and being able to still fund post KS.
If all the core Shenmue fans donate $10 a month for the game, by the end of the year we will have another $5M.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Reprise » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:13 pm

wataro wrote: There is NO good reason to NOT accept paypal, bitcoin, cheque, cash in post, voluntary work.

Its like they hate money. But I sincerely hope they get paypal set up before the end crikey!

Yes, but then they wouldn't be able to track the funding level and monitor the stretch goals that are reached. After the campaign is the time for them to offer those (maybe not cheque or cash in the post though - this isn't the 1970s, mate).
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue III