$10 mill was never going to happen

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: $10 mill was never going to happen

Postby SMDzero » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:47 pm

Himuro wrote: I think we will still be number 1 KS game and I think we will also have something really to be proud of at the end of this thing.

Completely agree. We need to trust Yu when he said that he would make a proper and worthy sequel to Shenmue III at 2 million dollars.

Just imagine what he'll do with 5 million.... :D God I hope we don't end at 4.9 million... we need that character perspective system!! I also hope we beat Bloodstained imagine the publicity!!!

SMDzero has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, Reprise, Shenmuehua
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:50 pm

I'm hoping for 6.5 million.

Himuro has received a thanks from: elfshadowreaper
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby joka » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:52 pm

Firstly 11m is the ultimate target- think 10m was mentioned by Yu once on Reddit and people just ran with it.
Not sure what he's said in the latest interview though.

People shouldnt take the goals as gospel anyway so I wouldn't get hung up on it- the game is getting made that's the main thing!

And there may be post campaign funding opportunities anyway... Might become clearer in 5 days time :)
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:00 pm

It'll end somewhere between $6-7 million. This is Shenmue. People will dig deep and fight hard.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby johnvivant » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:05 pm

6 million at least [-o<
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Dragon St. wrote:
Kenny wrote: I think people here forget how niche Shenmue really is.

Please explain. Because that's like the number 1 argument that people have been using against us for not having another Shenmue. I'm not convinced. One of every ten DC owners bought this game. So it sure wasn't niche on it's only available platform. So why wouldn't Shenmue sell on a mainstream platform?

Shenmue is not mainstream. It doesn't matter how many people bought the game on a stillborn system 15 years ago. More people bought a PS2 around that time because the PS1 was a more popular system. So the number of DC users is relatively negligible in that regard, let alone counting that 1 out of 10 bought this game (where ever that figure comes from).

Talk to the average person about Mario, Sonic, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Halo, Street Fighter, Call of Cuty, ect and most likely people know what you're talking about.

Talk to the average person about Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, ICO, Grim Fandango, ect and they'll likely tilt their heads and look at you funny. Those games I just mentioned have their huge fanbases for sure...but not on the level of the former titles. Be it as it may, the Shenmue fanbase has proven before the Kickstarter that they are ADAMANT and this proves that. The fact it's currently the second most crowdfunded videogame ever is very impressive among other records it broke.

But to expect it to be on the level of Oculus Rift and Pebble Watch in terms of financing is a bit too unrealistic. That's what the $10 million goal is with crowdfunding alone, we might see up to $6 million at most (and that's stretching it).

And my argument is NOT that it WON'T sell on a mainstream platform, it's that it's NO big deal that it's currently hovering around the $5 million mark. People don't realize that PayPal and outside investing are options, they're too caught up on the fact Yu can't get his ten millioz without the fanbase. BS, the fact it's one of the biggest kickstarters in quite awhile is enough for investors who won't know any better to open their wallets and cash in on what they think will be a nice return in investment. Or banks handing out loans.

Kenny has received 4 thanks from: Amir, Henry Spencer, Himuro, Reprise
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby alexironaek » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:20 pm

SMDzero wrote:
JohnBlack wrote:
SMDzero wrote: 10 Million is INDEED possible. Each of our 50,000 supporters need only to pledge $200. I myself pledged $185 and I'm going to up it to $200 even before the KS ends.

What every one of our supporters needs to understand is this: why won't you pay $200 for Shenmue 3? If Shenmue 3 were on shelves right now for $200 you know you'd buy it!

So tell me you hate Shenmue... tell me you hate Sega.... tell me you hate Yu Suzuki... but DON'T tell me that you can't put together $200... because it insults my intelligence.

Maybe you dont know, but there is a countries where 200$ is more than average salary per month.

No KS supporter is living off $200USD per annum. If they were then they'd be insane to even pledge $1.

Debating over how much you can pledge on a Kickstarter is a 1st world problem.

Oh I guess you said per month... still if you're making $200 per month you cannot and should not be throwing away even 50 cents of a kickstarter.

you are wrong here SMDzero, there are a lot of backers who make 200 euros more or less and still decide to back Shenmue 3.
alexironaek
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:27 pm

made in own thread.
Last edited by Himuro on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kenny » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:36 pm

You're also misunderstanding my niche argument.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:37 pm

I'm not misunderstanding it. I'm talking about something else entirely. Probably deserves its own thread. I'll make it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Kenny wrote:
Dragon St. wrote:
Kenny wrote: I think people here forget how niche Shenmue really is.

Please explain. Because that's like the number 1 argument that people have been using against us for not having another Shenmue. I'm not convinced. One of every ten DC owners bought this game. So it sure wasn't niche on it's only available platform. So why wouldn't Shenmue sell on a mainstream platform?

Shenmue is not mainstream. It doesn't matter how many people bought the game on a stillborn system 15 years ago. More people bought a PS2 around that time because the PS1 was a more popular system. So the number of DC users is relatively negligible in that regard, let alone counting that 1 out of 10 bought this game (where ever that figure comes from).

Talk to the average person about Mario, Sonic, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Halo, Street Fighter, Call of Cuty, ect and most likely people know what you're talking about.

Talk to the average person about Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, ICO, Grim Fandango, ect and they'll likely tilt their heads and look at you funny. Those games I just mentioned have their huge fanbases for sure...but not on the level of the former titles. Be it as it may, the Shenmue fanbase has proven before the Kickstarter that they are ADAMANT and this proves that. The fact it's currently the second most crowdfunded videogame ever is very impressive among other records it broke.

But to expect it to be on the level of Oculus Rift and Pebble Watch in terms of financing is a bit too unrealistic. That's what the $10 million goal is with crowdfunding alone, we might see up to $6 million at most (and that's stretching it).

And my argument is NOT that it WON'T sell on a mainstream platform, it's that it's NO big deal that it's currently hovering around the $5 million mark. People don't realize that PayPal and outside investing are options, they're too caught up on the fact Yu can't get his ten millioz without the fanbase. BS, the fact it's one of the biggest kickstarters in quite awhile is enough for investors who won't know any better to open their wallets and cash in on what they think will be a nice return in investment. Or banks handing out loans.

Nothing to add. Just needed to be quoted.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby manuel tripero » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:45 pm

I've signed that petition no less than 20 times xD

BTW yeah, Shenmue fanbase is quite small (also 14 years have passed), from the games Kenny named only JSR I think it's less known than Shenmue.

Even the dreamcast today is a niche console, and the games are not that easy to actually play.
manuel tripero
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:48 pm

manuel tripero wrote: I've signed that petition no less than 20 times xD

BTW yeah, Shenmue fanbase is quite small (also 14 years have passed), from the games Kenny named only JSR I think it's less known than Shenmue.

Even the dreamcast today is a niche console, and the games are not that easy to actually play.

Grim Fandango is not more known than Shenmue. Shenmue has been constantly brought up for years, whether it's Shenmue Online, Shenmue II, or all the Shenmue III jokes. Grim? Grim was forgotten and no one knows what the fuck Grim is, especially outside of the pc gaming space.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby manuel tripero » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:51 pm

Grim Fandango has been played a lot more times than Shenmue. PC is BIG, easy to pirate, and Grim Fandango was pretty much the last "great adventure game".

It's really well known. Less cultish than Shenmue yeah, but by far better well known.
manuel tripero
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kenny » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:51 pm

Being a vocal minority doesn't mean it's not niche.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III