How likely is Shenmue HD?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: How likely is Shenmue HD?

Postby punkmanced » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:58 am

Three Blades wrote: I don't know if it's likely or not, but I think it's crucial to the success of Shenmue3 and the rest of the series in the long run. I know that Suzuki said people could enjoy S3 without having played 1 and 2, but come on. What else was he supposed to say? Let's get real, if we want new fans to enjoy 3, we need 1 and 2 on the same console as well.

Exactly.
It's unfortunate to see that they hadn't thought this one through before the KS reveal; it's just basic common sense.

...Although, frankly, the Kickstarter's "for the fans by the fans" approach seems literal the more time passes.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Three Blades » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:20 am

This. Unbelievably, I've never played on Final Fantasy but I don't really want to jump in at VII so I'm starting from the original Android port. If I like the original, I'll work my way up.

LOL! In FF the numbers don't mean anything. You can start with any that you want. I recommend 6, personally, but most people will tell you 7.
With Shenmue, it's completely different. The Shenmue series is like one long continuous game. Starting with Shenmue 3 would be like walking into a movie theater, 1 hours after the movie has already started.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:29 am

Plus, if he's really panning on playing all of the FF games, he'd better be ready for some mediocre games along the way. FF1 and 2 were not great. FF1 was fine, but nothing special, imho. Didn't like number 2 too much. Also 5 and 9 were not that great.

So why not skip the average ones and play only the great ones, like 6, 8 or 10?
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Three Blades » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:39 am

I really like the first one personally, but I only played the GBA port, not the NES one. I don't know if it's better on GBA than the original but I would assume so. Kinda easy though.
I agree that 2 wasn't that great though but I haven't really played it that much, maybe because I got bored. Can't remember.

I heard that 3 and 4 on the DS are amazing, I'd like to play them one day. But I live in Japan, so I need to order them if I want the English versions, which is a pain in the ass. Still, I'll get around to it some time.
I wonder why they never remade 5 and 6 in 3D for the 3DS? The GBA had 1 and 2, the DS had 3 and 4... so why did they stop?
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Domosuke » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:54 am

More likely, almost definite if they released (plan to release) it on the Xbox One like it should have been in the first place.

Now that it's going to be on the Playstation, it would be nice and I would like to see it, but not likely, or they would have to do lots of tweaking to re release the games on demand for the playstation. They would have to remove anything sega from both games including toys and stuff and anything licensed like Timex and etc.
Domosuke
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:59 am

Not sure about the version history, dude. I've played all the FF's I've ever played on PS1, though, except X of course. I think there was one collection which included FF1 and 2 which was called FF Chronicles, I think. Then I had this thing called FF Anthology which included 4 and 5 in Europe, if my memory is right. Maybe 6 was in there too. Sold all my PS1 games a couple of years ago, so I don't quite remember anymore.

PS1 version of FF1 felt like quite a generic Japanese 80s or early 90s RPG to me. Liked Phantasy Star 1 way better than FF1.4, 6, and 8 were awesome on PS1. Loved all of them. I really hated the PS1 graphics for 7 and also 9, though. Didn't like the cute look on 9 and I hated how you needed those extra symbols on the screen to figure out what is what in 7, because the graphics were so clumsy.

Well, in the end, it's just a matter of taste, I guess. :D
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:01 am

Domosuke wrote: More likely, almost definite if they released (plan to release) it on the Xbox One like it should have been in the first place.

Now that it's going to be on the Playstation, it would be nice and I would like to see it, but not likely, or they would have to do lots of tweaking to re release the games on demand for the playstation. They would have to remove anything sega from both games including toys and stuff and anything licensed like Timex and etc.

If we get a S1 and S2 port to PS4 and PC it will be done by Sega, not Ys Net, so no need to remove Sega stuff. You could be right about the Timex and Coca Cola stuff though.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Reprise » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:03 am

Mass Effect 2 sold by the bucket load on PS3, despite the first being exclusive to the 360 (at the time). Just sayin'...

Reprise has received a thanks from: Phong
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Three Blades » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:11 am

Then I had this thing called FF Anthology which included 4 and 5 in Europe,

Yeah I'm pretty sure they all came out on the PS1, but they were just ports though (with a few CGi cutscenes added here and there I think). I think that FF6 was sold together with Crono Trigger (like a double-feature kinda deal), my friend had it long ago.
But I was wondering why 5 and 6 never got full-on remakes like 3 and 4 did on the DS. Those aren't just ports, they're full 3D games. I really wish 6 would get the same treatment one day.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:31 am

Three Blades wrote:
Then I had this thing called FF Anthology which included 4 and 5 in Europe,

Yeah I'm pretty sure they all came out on the PS1, but they were just ports though (with a few CGi cutscenes added here and there I think). I think that FF6 was sold together with Crono Trigger (like a double-feature kinda deal), my friend had it long ago.
But I was wondering why 5 and 6 never got full-on remakes like 3 and 4 did on the DS. Those aren't just ports, they're full 3D games. I really wish 6 would get the same treatment one day.

Me too. 6 was great.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:05 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:
KeiyaE315 wrote: Right, it's still SEGA and you shouldn't underestimate their denseness. But luckily there's also Sony, who made them release Yakuza 5 in western territories, and who might do something similar for Shenmue HD.

Wasn't Yakuza 5 digital only in the West? Still better than nothing, though. :)

Yeah, it's digital only I think. And it was recently delayed until fall 2015. But like you said, better than nothing. :) I don't care much for physical anymore.

It's a matter of fact that the western release is Sony's doing. Yakuza 5 and Shenmue III were both on top of that 'most wanted games' list Sony was building, and here we are, getting them both. I believe with Yu Suzuki and Sony's Gio Corsi both possibly already talking to SEGA about HD versions of I&II (which at this point is all speculation of course) we're actually having a pretty good chance of getting them within the next 12 to 24 months.

I would love that. And in case it doesn't happen after all, I'll still be happy as hell, since we'll still be getting Shenmue III. :)
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby iyapol » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:10 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: FF is not a continous story. You don't need to know 1 to play 8 or 10 or whatever.

Well, you learn something new every day. Had a greystation once upon a time and was always tempted by FF7 but was more of a sports and racing gamer.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:16 am

Yeah, just pick any Final Fantasy. Most of them are good, some are great. I liked 6, 8 and 10 best. Haven't really played any of them after 10 though. Kinda quit gaming. Shenmue 3 is the reason I will be getting another console.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby iyapol » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:23 am

Domosuke wrote: More likely, almost definite if they released (plan to release) it on the Xbox One like it should have been in the first place.

It's pretty well documentated why it's a PS exclusive. Sony are helping with funding (allbeit, not development costs) and sacrificed E3 stage time to promote S3. What have Microsoft done to support the game?

In an interview this week, YS has said he is working on a SEGA arcade for S3. He's also confirmed that he is looking into third party product placement so there may be a Timex return - YS specifically mentioned Coca Cola.

I imagine any product placement in S1 and 2 would come with the game and will have nothing to do with the platform any port or HD release is being lined up for.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:44 am

Exactly. This would be like watching Return of the King without seeing the previous LotR films. Not that anyone should watch those films.

Anyway, I reckon Shenmue HD's 50-50 at this point.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III