How likely is Shenmue HD?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: How likely is Shenmue HD?

Postby Kobe » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:00 am

Shenmue HD is not coming ever and I could easily bet Bill Gates salary on it.
Kobe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby James Brown » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:09 am

Kobe wrote: Shenmue HD is not coming ever and I could easily bet Bill Gates salary on it.

Shit, how much did you lose on the announcement of Shenmue 3?

James Brown has received 5 thanks from: Himuro, Mr357, Phong, punkmanced, Shenmuehua
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Phong » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:20 pm

I really don't think Shenmue 1 & 2 HD are crucial to the success of Shenmue 3, because not a lot happened in those games. Ryo is searching for his father's killer and his search led him to China. The murder had something to do with some precious stone mirrors. Lan Di is part of a bad guy organization known as the Chi You Men.

That's it. That's literally all you need to know. There is no necessary information that can't be illustrated in a simple flashback. Everything else was foreshadowing and duck racing.
Phong
Master of the Three Blades

Postby punkmanced » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:40 pm

Phong wrote: I really don't think Shenmue 1 & 2 HD are crucial to the success of Shenmue 3, because not a lot happened in those games. Ryo is searching for his father's killer and his search led him to China. The murder had something to do with some precious stone mirrors. Lan Di is part of a bad guy organization known as the Chi You Men.

That's it. That's literally all you need to know. There is no necessary information that can't be illustrated in a simple flashback. Everything else was foreshadowing and duck racing.

Given that logic, there shouldn't be a lot happening in 3 either...perhaps we should just skip that one and go for pt.4? ;-)

punkmanced has received 2 thanks from: JaySw34, Phong
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Phong » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:50 pm

punkmanced wrote:
Phong wrote: I really don't think Shenmue 1 & 2 HD are crucial to the success of Shenmue 3, because not a lot happened in those games. Ryo is searching for his father's killer and his search led him to China. The murder had something to do with some precious stone mirrors. Lan Di is part of a bad guy organization known as the Chi You Men.

Given that logic, there shouldn't be a lot happening in 3 either...perhaps we should just skip that one and go for pt.4? ;-)

I would buy HD versions, even bad ones, because they were great games and I put a lot of time into them.

But I still remember that they were widely considered slow-paced and boring games. There are reasons why.
Phong

Postby Three Blades » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:15 pm

Not a lot happened? Did you play the games?

I think Shenmue 3 would do fairly well even without the remakes, however, it would do a lot better if it could get tons of new fans as well. And not just get new fans to buy the game, but enjoy the shit out of it as well. I'm sure some people will jump right into 3 and still love it, but they'd love it even more if they already cared about the characters and were already invested in the story.

Reminds me of the first time I played Shenmue 2 with 2 of my friends... one of them had played S1, the other knew of it but hadn't played it.
Just by watching the opening cutscene, the guy who had played it (and myself) got super excited, we were like, OMG it's the boat! OMG RYO'S GETTING OFF THE BOAT IN CHINA!!! Holy SHIT THIS IS SO COOL!
..but to our other friend, it was just a guy getting off a boat, and he thought we were a bunch of weirdoes for getting excited over that. LOL!
He eventually got into it, just like you can watch Star Wars Episode 6 alone and still enjoy it, but it's definitely way better if you've played the first game(s). It would be a lot more succesful that way.
However succesful S3 ends up being, it would still do a lot better if the remakes come out first.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:14 am

Phong wrote:
But I still remember that they were widely considered slow-paced and boring games. There are reasons why.

Shenmue ultimately rewarded you a hundredfold, all you needed was patience. I personally never found it boring, but I can understand some people don't have a fantastic attention span for slow paced games. I do feel huge sorrow for those who gave up as early as the first disc.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Chaikilla » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:34 am

So likely that I'm refusing to replay 1&2 again until they're remade. I don't even care if we get a port of the games, I just want them out there so that gamers new to the series can experience them. Once they get hooked on the crack that is 1&2, they'll be itching for 3.
Chaikilla

Postby Three Blades » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:48 am

Shenmue ultimately rewarded you a hundredfold, all you needed was patience.

This.
Shenmue rewards the gamer who is patient and intelligent. The idea that it is "boring" comes from the fact that it doesn't offer instant gratification the way that most games do nowadays.

Shoot bad guy => Bad guy falls to the ground and dies a painful death. (This is instant gratification because you get the reward immediately after performing an action.)

Instead, Shenmue rewards you slowly over time, with a compelling story, epic scenes, interesting characters, and an immersive world that is full of small details.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby zach » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:32 am

I just rebought a DC and Shenmue 1 and 2, Am I bad person?
I wanted to replay the games so bad with all the hype of shenmue 3.
( I did pledge 300, though!)
zach
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza 4, Cave Story

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:22 pm

50-50.

It makes a lot of sense to release them at this point but I can also just imagine Sega shrugging their shoulders. They're one of the hardest companies to read.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:35 pm

zach wrote: I just rebought a DC and Shenmue 1 and 2, Am I bad person?

For re buying them? Nope. For selling them in the first place? Maybe! :lol:

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Peter
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:57 pm

I'd probably buy 10 of each and give away game keys just to support them.
Wude-Tang Clan

Previous

Return to Shenmue III