KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:17 am

Himuro wrote:
Phong wrote:
Mystere wrote:No one's gonna disagree with you about the Shenmue II version's superior art direction / pace (it truly is one of my favourites from the game). But don't forget, Yu Suzuki oversaw that scene too - doesn't this man deserve our faith and patience?

As for cheap - well, yes it is mate... That's why we have a Kickstarter!

Then why was that video necessary? Who was it for?

DBZ fans who think that maybe Shenhua was going Super Saiyan? Final Fantasy fans? Or Shenmue fans?

I don't get it at all.

Saying that I'm expecting too much is wrong because I wasn't expecting anything at all. I had literally zero expectations for a new video and was let down.

Oh yeah, man. Shenhua having magic powers is totally new and it could not ever appeal to any Shenmue fan ever.

There's especially not a part in the second game where she literally blows Dandelion seeds with her ki.

Haha, I was just about to post how much the new trailer reminded me of that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXOHxuzvZ7A&t=1m0s
Last edited by Tomato Convenience Store on Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tomato Convenience Store has received a thanks from: Himuro
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Phong » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:19 am

Himuro wrote:Oh yeah, man. Shenhua having magic powers is totally new and it could not ever appeal to any Shenmue fan ever.

There's especially not a part in the second game where she literally blows Dandelion seeds with her ki.

I am done.
Phong
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:24 am

I seriously liked this vid 100000 times more than initial reveal vid. I love the animation. I \love the way the lighting looks and I can't imagine how it'll look in a more finalized state. I love the way the camera pans out for the zoom in on Shenhua and it transitions to the sky. The cinematography is excellent for a small time tech demo that was barely in the oven. Just imagining the possibilities with actual money and staff, I'm even less skeptical about this game.

Incredible art direction and aesthetic for such little time and such little money. The potential for this game has me \:D/ and I screamed "OH MY GOD" out loud as I watched it for the first time.

Shenmue's back! =D>

Himuro has received 4 thanks from: Esppiral, NeoShredder, RiGoRmOrTiS, Switch
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:37 am

I don't know if it's just lighting trickery, but I think they've actually been working on the Ryo model:

Notice the fact that throughout the video, his face is actually more animated as well....the way he turns his head sharply is definitely reminiscent of Ryo's body language.

For what it is in its context it's great! Starting to show what the Unreal Engine's gonna do! The only two criticisms I feel are appropriate for what it is:

> His head clips through his jacket when he turns it left
> His eyes, when his head goes right, get baked in shadow and look a bit creepy for a split second

But other than that, I don't get what the complaints are about! :mrgreen:

NeoShredder has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, RiGoRmOrTiS
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:47 am

One issue I have is the lack of skirt blowing in the wind when it zooms in on Shenhua but it's such a nitpick and I don't give a shit. And yes, the animation is TOTALLY Ryo Hazuki. That's my stoic Japanese revenge obsessed spiritually deprived hero. \:D/
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby TheThirdComing » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:49 am

Just reading "All scenes in Development. is enough for me... just the idea that it is actually happening :D

TheThirdComing has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
TheThirdComing

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:50 am

Himuro wrote: One issue I have is the lack of skirt blowing in the wind when it zooms in on Shenhua but it's such a nitpick and I don't give a shit. And yes, the animation is TOTALLY Ryo Hazuki. That's my stoic Japanese revenge obsessed spiritually deprived hero. \:D/

Who says there is any wind? Those fireflies would be all over the place!

Argghhh...and I guess they haven't changed Shenhua's outfit like they said....

And they should have had that DISCLAIMER in the very first video!

But yes, the animation! The body language! This is what I was talking about in the other thread with having a new model you can work with....much better!
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:57 am

NeoShredder wrote:
Himuro wrote: One issue I have is the lack of skirt blowing in the wind when it zooms in on Shenhua but it's such a nitpick and I don't give a shit. And yes, the animation is TOTALLY Ryo Hazuki. That's my stoic Japanese revenge obsessed spiritually deprived hero. \:D/

Who says there is any wind? Those fireflies would be all over the place!

Argghhh...and I guess they haven't changed Shenhua's outfit like they said....

And they should have had that DISCLAIMER in the very first video!

But yes, the animation! The body language! This is what I was talking about in the other thread with having a new model you can work with....much better!

Oh right. I just meant her skirt being animated well. It is being animated but it's slight.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby punkmanced » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:19 am

Himuro wrote: You are being highly illogical.

Necon is a fan who has no deadlines to meet. He also doesn't have to appease 55k people who gave him 5million dollars and has to show progress or ideas of what the game would look. You're comparing a kickstarted project, which by necessity, has to show ideas of what they want the game to look like to draw pledges and show that they're working on SOMETHING to a FAN - that isn't doing it for money or has a deadline?

Has your brain leaked out of your head?

What are you expecting? Expect many similar non final videos throughout the games development due to the Kickstart platform and having to answer to 55k or more people.

Ugh.
I was making a broader point: as a sign of things to come, I’d rather not have Suzuki worry about churning something out every other day due to fan pressure, when it could potentially do more harm than good (Ex: You remember the backlash over the original KS Ryo model? Would you want that to happen every step of the way?)

I’m not talking about beta, or even alpha footage here. I’m referring to rush jobs.
Kidnocon was a one-man army example of quality over quantity (and someone who IMO should be officially involved in all of these projects). He’s alone. He does it for free. In his spare time. Last I checked, this wasn’t the case here.

Anyway, as stated, the firefly scene may have been a nice sentiment 2 days before the end of the KS, but one which I would’ve done without, since it probably won’t attract new backers/ non-fans at this stage.

Had Suzuki released this as a small “thank you” of sorts, post-KS, it’d be a different story.

PS- The finished game will undoubtedly look amazing. It goes without saying.

punkmanced has received a thanks from: Phong
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:53 am

When you talk about "potential backers" didn't you think that this trailer may get picked by websites ?? That means more traffic of people in the KS.

Things I like:
- it was nice, the Ryo model improved, the music, it has an actual "look" or "feel".
This I don't relly like:
Too much lens flare. And we knew this was coming like 1 or 2 weeks ago, all they got was glowing particles effect ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby johnvivant » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:57 am

Love Ryo's new face, the scene is great.

I think this is actually a whole new scene from shenmue 3 because shenhua never summons the fireflies from the lake in shenmue 2 - they just pass through. i think people are thinking of the dandelion field, when she uses her magic to levitate the seeds.

in the shenmue online china joy cg there is a similar scene to this one where she is at the lake 'interacting' with the fireflies at night, and also singing - although Ryo is no where is sight.

I really like this trailer, and especially Ryo's new face. its amazing what can be achieved with so little money in so short a time. this gives me confidence in the quality of the final game.

phpBB [video]
Last edited by johnvivant on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ConanTheKing » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:03 am

Have to say I was surprised at the Shenhua butt zoom early on, didn't know what was going on XD.

But it's such a nice trailer and it looks like we will hit that $5 million goal, that's a celebration! Sure we didn't hit $10, but we did much better than $2 million in the end so it's something to be proud off.
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby MJMW » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:15 am

Last edited by MJMW on Fri May 25, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MJMW has received a thanks from: punkmanced
MJMW
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: FFXII

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:38 am

Are people really thinking of retracting pledges because of a 40secs video of a game not even out of Kickstarter?

I'll keep my opinion to myself or i get instabanned, but really?
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:42 am

Nah, people just overreact.

One thing that this video makes me think is that it's going to be a lot more than dec 2017 to get the full game xD
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III