Why Iwao was outclassed by Lan Di??

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Why Iwao was outclassed by Lan Di??

Postby SMDzero » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:57 am

Anyone find it weird that Iwao was not even in the same league as Lan Di in his martial arts?

Iwao trained with and was presumably on par with Lan Di's father although admittedly Sunming Zhao was killed before he became a "legendary martial arts master".

Still why did Iwao perform so embarrassingly against Lan Di? I don't think it was a matter of age.. Iwao was only 46. My guess is that Lan Di was using the forbidden "Tiger Swallow" style that was banned because it was too dangerous and deadly?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Re: Why Iwao was outclassed by Lan Di??

Postby MechaWumpa » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:56 pm

I remember reading a discussion on this topic, I believe that the conclusion was that Lan Di used an ancient/forbidden martial art style and anticipated most of Iwao's moves. I'm pretty sure if somebody remembers the thread with said discussion they'll throw up a link here.
MechaWumpa
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: RandomDudeXIII
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Persona 5

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:06 pm

So that we could play Shenmue. The game would have ended quickly if Lan Di lost, so, Iwao took one for the team.
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Age also could have played a factor.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:28 pm

My response regarding this topic in a prior thread, quoted again here:

Iwao could have put up a much better fight than he did. Shozo - the homeless chap who lives near the harbor cafeteria - teaches Ryo the Shadow Step move. Ryo finds out that Iwao knew this move and could have used it against Lan Di "that day", turning the battle in his favor. But Shozo responds, "No sense in fighting. Sometimes a clean getaway is also victory."

Maybe there was a genuine reason why Iwao didn't put up much of a fight...
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Guilt? That's what I figure was at play here. Lan Di blames Iwao, but maybe Iwao already blamed himself for his best friend's death?

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: nskachu, Sonoshee, Supa
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:50 pm

My interpretation:

It's made pretty clear that Lan Di uses a style Ryo has "never seen before" (quote emphasis mine, his actual dialogue towards Chen). It's a mysterious style. A style that he had to look up in the Wulinshu to begin with.

It's also the same style as Baihu.

Lan Di's father trained in that style, so his father likely taught it to him. "You!" Iwao says, hinting that he had met Lan Di before. Sunming Zhao was after all, his friend. He would likely know his son as well.

Let's just say that like for nearly 20 years, Lan Di trained to get his revenge. He became a master of the style, and highly proficient. Revenge fueled his desire to grow, much like with Ryo. With that in mind, it's clear that Iwao was simply outclassed in terms of kung fu in every single way. Lan Di was the stronger fighter.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Sonne2
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:58 pm

or could be a matter of drive and ethics?
even reality itself backs that up.
want it 'bad' enough, train intensively forsaking petty morality, surprising how focused and concentrated one can be. :P
or the ethics?
be a bastard enough?
it's a matter of perspectives.
in one-on-one combat, my moneys on lan-di. :mrgreen:
for other... :arrow:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:02 pm

How did iwao know lan di was coming?

How did yuan da Zhu know lan di was coming?

Why kind of help would master Chen have been able to provide if iwao got zhu's letter in time?
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:05 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: How did iwao know lan di was coming?

How did yuan da Zhu know lan di was coming?

Why kind of help would master Chen have been able to provide if iwao got zhu's letter in time?

1. Maybe Iwao had a feeling?

2. Probably because the Yellowheads and Chi You Men were already looking for him?

3. Probably protection and a place to hide.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Mr357 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:06 pm

Lan Di is an incredible martial artist, but I've always guessed that he's possessed with the power of Chi You or something along those lines.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:23 pm

I have the feeling that Iwao didn't put up a real fight, at least not showing all he has. As said before it might be because he though he deserved to lose. Maybe not die but at least that. And Lan Di is clearly depicted as an incredibly skilled fighter. Ryo is not only put on the quest of avenging his father but also to surpass him.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:28 pm

BlueMue wrote: I have the feeling that Iwao didn't put up a real fight, at least not showing all he has. As said before it might be because he though he deserved to lose. Maybe not die but at least that. And Lan Di is clearly depicted as an incredibly skilled fighter. Ryo is not only put on the quest of avenging his father but also to surpass him.
^^ THAT just takes the cakey.
says it well.
aka: ryo has some mighty BIG boots to fill right there. surpassing lan-di will be life or death, and not just of the body or mind. ryo will have to take a 'brainer' of some sort, leave it all behind and steam into his nemesis with all cylinders firing. anything less WILL end him for certain.
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Hard to accept i know - but Lan Di was simply BETTER than Iwao. End of story. Why he was better? Yeah very rare and obviously effective style, younger age and Lan Di was also prepared for this fight his whole life - he probably studied Iwaos style and learned all his weaknesses. And yeah we all know how motivating it is to avenge your fathers death.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Calshot » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:46 pm

Age is a gigantic factor. It's rare to see an athlete competing at the highest levels in their late 30s-early 40s. Iwao is practically ancient at 46. With age, your speed and reflexes diminish to the point where you might still see a shot coming that you could've avoided in your prime, but can't now because your body just can't move like it used to.

Iwao is still a league better than the average person, but at the highest level, any tiny detail can make the difference. Iwao being past his prime is a ginormous disadvantage, and when you couple that with the fact that Lan Di is better skilled, younger, presumably has less accumulated damage from training over the years, and is trying to kill Iwao...

And that's why Iwao was outclassed.

There's also the classic kung fu movie explanation: Lan Di's kung fu was better than Iwao's.

Calshot has received a thanks from: Sonne2
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Next

Return to Shenmue