Shenmue is obviously a magical game

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue is obviously a magical game

Postby Phong » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:34 pm

I've been told this repeatedly recently as I would be either stupid or willfully ignorant not to acknowledge this. I have also been called cynical for expressing my dislike for the out-of-place-cheap-looking magic in the pre-alpha-still-in-development-proof-of-concept-totally-having-nothing-to-do-with-the-final-product firefly video just released. And I've been accused of threatening and intimidating behavior because I said I might lower my pledge. I have also been called a "looser" repeatedly, which I guess means "loser" because I guess I liked the realism of Shenmue too much and am having trouble with the direction of the series.

This is no way to have a discussion. Please don't harass me for expressing my thoughts on this game.

So, the topic is hard to avoid. Let's have it out here. From now on Shenmue has no intention of being a game that's as "realistic" as possible. It's a magical fantasy game with characters that shoot lightning and fireballs from their hands, control plant and animal spirits, summon mythical creatures like dragons and phoenixes. This is "obvious."

Right?

Lan Di and the Chi You Men want to summon a dragon that will destroy the world. This is not metaphor, myth, or superstition, but an accurate description of what could potentially happen in the game. Shenhua "clearly and obviously" moves dandelion seeds around with her ki. She even says so when Ryo asks her about it because he felt no wind. Magic. Also there's a scene at the end of Shenmue II with a floating sword and lasers.

If you played Shenmue I and II and fell in love with a game dedicated toward realism, you'll have to give that up and say goodbye. The game is Final Fantasy from here on out. This has been obviously true for 14 years so please don't say anything further or express your disapproval for it or else you'll ruin it for everybody else.

In fact it's so obvious that there's no need for this thread and I am just some cynic with impossible expectations.

Phong has received a thanks from: LucBu
Phong
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Shenmue is obviously a magical game

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:39 pm

YU suzuki said SIII will also be realistic.

For the video they probably swapped the particles model for one of those fire sparks that UE4 has for other more luminous, that's why they look like "levitating".

But yeah, don't expect full realism and big urban enviroment from now on.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:43 pm

Floating swords, mystical mirrors, dragons and phoenixs kinda gave it away dude.

Peter has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby SlySpy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:49 pm

Did you really need to make a separate topic just for the sake of being vindictive and childish?

Really, give it a rest. You don't have to like the little teaser video you saw, but this outburst is ridiculous.
SlySpy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Phong wrote:I have also been called a "looser" repeatedly, which I guess means "loser" because I guess I liked the realism of Shenmue too much and am having trouble with the direction of the series.

Cheers for correcting my typos :)
Didn't call you a loser though, that's not how an analogy works.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:57 pm

Jibby didn't call you a loser at all.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Otacon_ahs » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Phong wrote:
So, the topic is hard to avoid. Let's have it out here. From now on Shenmue has no intention of being a game that's as "realistic" as possible. It's a magical fantasy game with characters that shoot lightning and fireballs from their hands, control plant and animal spirits, summon mythical creatures like dragons and phoenixes. This is "obvious."

Right?

Lan Di and the Chi You Men want to summon a dragon that will destroy the world. This is not metaphor, myth, or superstition, but an accurate description of what could potentially happen in the game. Shenhua "clearly and obviously" moves dandelion seeds around with her ki. She even says so when Ryo asks her about it because he felt no wind. Magic. Also there's a scene at the end of Shenmue II with a floating sword and lasers.

If you played Shenmue I and II and fell in love with a game dedicated toward realism, you'll have to give that up and say goodbye. The game is Final Fantasy from here on out. This has been obviously true for 14 years so please don't say anything further or express your disapproval for it or else you'll ruin it for everybody else.

In fact it's so obvious that there's no need for this thread and I am just some cynic with impossible expectations.

Some time ago i opened this thread about how much magic will be in Shenmue 3 (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48303). As you i fell in love with Shenmue 2 because it was a relatively realistic story. I don't know what to think... Until now, i'm ok with chinese myths, prophecies and some mystical events. I mean, even Ryo was dreaming with Shenhua, but he didn't recognize her, so i was thinking about it like a narrative toward the player, and not Ryo... Plus i really hope that the story has changed since Project Berkley.
The flying sword... well... i didn't like it, but sure i will play Shenmue 3.

Btw Yu Suzuki said that battle will be realistic. So no hadouken for Shenmue 3 i suppose (that's good for me).

P.D: If Ryo is actually seeing the amount of "magic" in the game without shitting his pants, then Ryo has the same exceptional capacity to express any emotions as my wardrobe.
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue I

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:10 pm

Peter wrote: Floating swords, mystical mirrors, dragons and phoenixs kinda gave it away dude.

lol indeed. gotta be pretty slow not to see it coming. that said, Yu Suzuki has already stated it'll be somewhat grounded, shenhua is already confirmed to have the ability to see visions of the past, psychic if you will, that could be considered magical, she also seems to have a connection with nature and some kinda Ki aura around her as demonstrated in Shenmue 2 with the dandelions.

it isn't going to be fireball, lighting, etc.. but there is going to be toned back magical elements. I very much doubt Dragons will be summoned, its far more likely to be a prophecy (magical because that's seeing the future!) about a dangerous individual with too much power.

but honestly, the writing has been on the wall since the beginning and the OP's post is so childish I feel bad even entertaining it with this reply :(
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:12 pm

Phong wrote: I've been told this repeatedly recently as I would be either stupid or willfully ignorant not to acknowledge this. I have also been called cynical for expressing my dislike for the out-of-place-cheap-looking magic in the pre-alpha-still-in-development-proof-of-concept-totally-having-nothing-to-do-with-the-final-product firefly video just released. And I've been accused of threatening and intimidating behavior because I said I might lower my pledge. I have also been called a "looser" repeatedly, which I guess means "loser" because I guess I liked the realism of Shenmue too much and am having trouble with the direction of the series.

This is no way to have a discussion. Please don't harass me for expressing my thoughts on this game.

Right?

I have no words to describe how stupid that post is. Anyway relax, it's just a videogame.

Peter wrote: Floating swords, mystical mirrors, dragons and phoenixs kinda gave it away dude.

Add to that the Shenmue tree that has a spirit and the village prophecy,
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:14 pm

I hope he brings up that he was considering pledging thousands, but the video suddenly made him realize Shenmue sucks so he'll grab a preorder in a couple years. We get it, man. A rushed video ruined something you've waited years for. No ones going to beg you to stick around. Things are going swimmingly without you. It sucks you feel betrayed by Yu Suzuki, but none of us can help you.

It's not the stupidest complaint I've seen. There are quite a few people who are upset Ryo might be able to jump.
Last edited by mjq jazz bar on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Shenhua-Nani?
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Shenmue is a fantastical game but the fantasy is pretty low. If categorizing it in urban fantasy genre ala Harry Potter and other similar settings, it'd be pretty damn low fantasy.

Low fantasy wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_fantasy

Low fantasy places relatively less emphasis on typical elements associated with fantasy, setting a narrative in real-world environments with elements of the fantastical. Sometimes there are just enough fantastical elements to make ambiguous the boundary between what is real and what is purely psychological or supernatural. The word "low" refers to the level of prominence of traditional fantasy elements within the work, and is not any sort of remark on the work's quality.

Sound familiar?
Last edited by Himuro on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:16 pm

I don't understand how someone joined this forum in 2003 and decided to give up on the series because of some fireflies in a teaser trailer.

mjq jazz bar has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, RiGoRmOrTiS
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:19 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: I don't understand how someone joined this forum in 2003 and decided to give up on the series because of some fireflies in a teaser trailer.

I guess Shenmue 2 finished at the end of disc 3 for him? or maybe he fell asleep in the last hour of disc 4 lol
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:20 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: I don't understand how someone joined this forum in 2003 and decided to give up on the series because of some fireflies in a teaser trailer.

I think we are all thinking that, there is a serve lack of logic here... best not to dwell on it too much..

gotta wonder though why he didn't stop playing when Shenhua stepped out onto the cliff at the beginning of Shenmue 1 and talked about Ryo coming to see her when she has never even met or been aware of his existence... maybe he hit the start button too quickly and managed to miss that scene.. and blacked out a few times during Shenmue 1 and missed the dream scenes and then blacked out on the way to Shenhua's house during the dandelion scene.....

c'est la vie.. maybe he can still enjoy Shenmue 3 if he gets someone to knock him out during any mystical moments.
Last edited by RiGoRmOrTiS on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:23 pm

He interpreted the dandelion scene as the wind merely blowing when there was no hint of the wind blowing. :?:
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III