What's wrong with some users

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

What's wrong with some users

Postby Otacon_ahs » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:54 pm

First of all, i don't want to start a war, this post only express my opinion. If any user or moderator would like to lock or delete this thread, i'm ok with that. I would open this on off-topic, but maybe some users wouldn't read this.

I'm a fan of Shenmue II, and, like all of us, i was really happy for the Shenmue 3 announcement, so i joined this community expecting to meet some lovely users and learn something too.

One of my first posts was that thread talking about "magic" in Shenmue 3. It was ok, though i felt stupid after a few answers, but that was ok, i don't blame any users for that because maybe it was my fault, i don't know.

But i'm feeling now as if somebody has some complaint, and that complaint is not about Awesome Japan, he must prepare himself for harsh answers that basically consist calling that guy stupid and telling things that he already knows. And though his complaint was about the game, some users will reply with things like "gotta be pretty slow not to see it coming", for example. I mean, that's not ok guys. Somebody felt offended (maybe it was justified, maybe not), to some users it was childish, ok, but he's not mentioning anyone directly and he's talking about something. For me his topic was as childish as some replies. We are all already backers of Shenmue 3 i think. We can have discussions between backers on this forum or not, but all that "positive wave" doesn't consist in locking threads and being harsh with some users, don't you think?

We can do something better here.

P.D: As always sorry for my english if something is somewhat difficult to understand.

Otacon_ahs has received 2 thanks from: LucBu, Yokosuka
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue I

Re: What's wrong with some users

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Sorry Supa, just want to highlight what's going on....

Octacon, you have answered your question in your response.

Firstly, when a topic is locked, its locked for a reason. You don't make up another topic to discuss a locked topic, that's internet forums 101. But you are not a troll and seem like a good guy so i will explain.

Since Shenmue 3 was announced, imagine 14 years of emotion pent up, only to be released into the wild at the announcement of your wildest dreams coming true. Over the course of the past 4 weeks, the dust has settled and the manifestation of those emotions have came out in many shapes and forms from a lot of people. I am guilty of it too! When those emotions clash, things get all kinds of negative. Some of the events during this time certainly haven't helped matters either.

But recently those emotions have turned in the tides to being majorally negative due to a few factors including a poorer KS total than what we had expected, plus the release of updates and rewards which a lot of people didnt particulary approve. Now, its fine to have an opinion, but sometimes those opinions come out wrong, and clash with others opinions, who also are not handling themselves well, and that's when things get ugly.

Phong made a topic which you can see more than demonstrates that. Oks he may have valid points, but his timing and place of voicing those opinions was completely wrong. Thats not to sham on his opinions, but today of all days, right after hitting a serious milestone in the Kickstarter process isn't exactly smart to create a topic which was essentially negative. Not even in a productive way either. Thats not good for the community and its a responsibility we all have to make a judgement call when to voice certain opinions and when not to. The natural progression of the board can usually be seen if you take a step back and read a few comments, and his second topic regarding magic was a snap reaction to his comments, and comments directed towards him regarding the released trailer.

Oks, some of the responses he got back were childish, idiotic... use whatever adjective you want, but the crux of it all was his behaviour by opening the topic in the first place. I mean thinking about removing your pledge? Questioning that Shenmue is a magical game? He has been aware of Shenmue for 14 years, and if he doesn't know the general overview of the story to this point, then i have to refrain from calling him a derogatory name or two. Its in the prologue of Shenmue, and the first thing you read when looking in the manual, reading a guide, heck, you even hear it during and at the end of Shenmue! Its not rocket science.
His reaction to the trailer is moot, as our all of our opinions on the trailer because its concept. Its not the final product nor could it even be in the game! So starting board drama over it does him, other members and the entire community nothing but harm.

I am guilty of many things here too over these past 4 weeks, but all i can do is to ask all members to remain calm and keep your emotions in check. Respect must be given by everyone, to all members. Anyone who flies off the handle will have to suffer the consequence. Instead of going off on other members because you have differing opinions, listen to each other and talk it out, that's how learning is done. The Dojo has never been this crazy ever, so even us as staff are having to learn and evolve each day with the changes in the Shenmue community. So please guys, just think before you post. Think about how the general consensus is about something and tailor your post to fit in with the atmosphere and direction of the forums. If you have a differing opinion or disagree with someone, then tell them. But tell them respectfully, and be open to listening to what others have to say too. We are making history today of all days, lets try and move on together without arguments, negativity, locked topics, warnings and bannings. There is no hard feelings on my part, and if a topic gets locked, don't take it personally.

Peter has received 5 thanks from: Ceej, Otacon_ahs, Reprise, RiGoRmOrTiS, Sonoshee
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Return to Shenmue III