Postby Ryo Fhan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:44 am

Do you speak it?

saw this on my feed, felt it had to go lol
Ryo Fhan
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Portuguese Ryo

Postby Reprise » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:00 am

Woo-hoo, another stretch goal met! (I don't speak Portuguese, but it's cool to reach another goal).

Here's to beating Bloodstained's record and maybe, maybe (fingers crossed), reaching that 6million Advanced Battle System.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ryo Fhan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:14 am

Languages are good. Now if we could just get English this time.
Ryo Fhan
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby punkmanced » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:57 am

Awesome news right there!
Having Brazil (200+ million people) in the loop is just common marketing sense in the 21st century. In any case, it’s been achieved, thankfully.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby sand4fish » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:44 am

Don't forget Portugal is in it too ($10 million worth of if already not, soon to be believers, excluding Macau and some African countries). It's the first time I see Portuguese as a language option for a major title other than sports. PS. I speak the language and I believe Brazilians will get behind the game, though a lot will play it pirated as this is PC we're talking about.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby NeoShredder » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:46 am

I've heard Portugese is very close to Spanish, like mutually intelligable at most. Is this true?
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:50 am

It's similar, but as similar as italian spanish.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:51 am

NeoShredder wrote: I've heard Portugese is very close to Spanish, like mutually intelligable at most. Is this true?

they have some similarities, but they are not mutually intelligible
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby sand4fish » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:20 am

NeoShredder wrote: I've heard Portugese is very close to Spanish, like mutually intelligable at most. Is this true?

Not mutually intelligible, but close enough I guess. I had a friend, a Spanish speaker, who couldn't understand a lick of Portuguese when people are talking to him but he could certainly read a bit. But I can say that from all the languages I'm aware of Spanish, Portuguese and Italian share the most in common with each other.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby PacemaŜinobo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:26 am

MaxTheRabbit wrote:

they have some similarities, but they are not mutually intelligible

I went to Portugal and got by speaking only Spanish (albeit slowly and staying away from idioms). They would understand me well but I would understand only about 30% of their Portuguese-language answers. Native Spanish speakers told me it's the same for them.
PacemaŜinobo
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:28 am

sand4fish wrote: Don't forget Portugal is in it too ($10 million worth of if already not, soon to be believers, excluding Macau and some African countries). It's the first time I see Portuguese as a language option for a major title other than sports. PS. I speak the language and I believe Brazilians will get behind the game, though a lot will play it pirated as this is PC we're talking about.

Hope you'll introduce Shenmue to some non-english-speaking friends, dude! :D Find some friends to buy the game for! =D>

I guess you can forget about African countries and Timor as video game markets but having Brazil and Portugal with over 200 million speakers will hopefully make a difference for Shenmue 3.

In Macau, Portuguese doesn't seem to play that much of a role anymore, though. According to the impeccable Wikipedia, only less than 10% of the population speak it even though it will still be an official language over there until 2049.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macanese_Portuguese
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sand4fish » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:31 am

PacemaŜinobo wrote:I went to Portugal and got by speaking only Spanish (albeit slowly and staying away from idioms). They would understand me well but I would understand only about 30% of their Portuguese-language answers. Native Spanish speakers told me it's the same for them.

For some reason it's easier for Portuguese speakers to understand Spanish than the other way around. But I might be biased here as I actually learned Spanish for a while long ago, and Spanish is the more popular language worldwide with people just inclined to learn it even if just a bit.

Hope you'll introduce Shenmue to some non-english-speaking friends, dude! :D Find some friends to buy the game for! =D>

I guess you can forget about African countries and Timor as video game markets but having Brazil and Portugal with over 200 million speakers will hopefully make a difference for Shenmue 3.

In Macau, Portuguese doesn't seem to play that much of a role anymore, though. According to the impeccable Wikipedia, only less than 10% of the population speak it even though it will still be an official language over there until 2049.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macanese_Portuguese

I did =). But I could have enticed more backers if Paypal was an option. Not everyone has a CC or one that works internationally.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: PacemaŜinobo
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue III