Yu Suzuki officially announces Paypal support for Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki officially announces Paypal support for Shenmu

Postby Reprise » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:39 pm

It's coming! Have some patience and decorum. No offence, but who the fuck cares? Some of you are going to miserable people to hang with over the next 2-3 years. Shenmue 3 is happening, after 14 years of waiting, we finally fucking did it! We're getting the game we thought we'd never ever see and here we are arguing over the most trivial of things.

Reprise has received a thanks from: Himuro
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:51 pm

The real irony are the people saying AJ are so, so bad at their jobs because they took so long to announce a Paypal option, when they don't realize that announcing a Paypal option early would have made people wait for after the Kickstarter ended to give to the Paypal, proving they are even less competent than AJ.

The KS is over. Just please enjoy the ride at this point.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Reprise
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby code l name » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:16 pm

Who indicated that? I think the majority of people were saying the Paypal option should have gone immediately live after the KS ended. Instead community and fans are left wondering why the campaign failed again the basic fundamentals.

code l name has received a thanks from: Dragon St.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:34 pm

I find the "momentum" argument pretty relevant. But let the medias focus on the record for some time again.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Snakiest » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:39 pm

I can only guess it has something to do with PayPal in Japan. Last time I tried it a few years ago, it had a lot limitations, one being the inability to send funds unless they are a purchase of something due to government regulations. In other words, if you wanted to send money to your family abroad from within Japan, you couldn't. I doubt this stupidity has changed, but I haven't used PayPal since then. It will be a good reason to try it again.

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:42 pm

Snakiest wrote: I can only guess it has something to do with PayPal in Japan. Last time I tried it a few years ago, it had a lot limitations, one being the inability to send funds unless they are a purchase of something due to government regulations. In other words, if you wanted to send money to your family abroad from within Japan, you couldn't. I doubt this stupidity has changed, but I haven't used PayPal since then. It will be a good reason to try it again.

In Yu we trust.

If it's problematic in Japan they should just do Paypal via Shibuya Productions. Biscay is producing so I don't see why it would be an issue. YSNet could then just be handed the money when the Paypal closes.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:40 pm

One thing to consider about PayPal that I had completely forgotten about: PayPal hasn't always gone smoothly with crowdfunding projects.

Skull Girls, Dreamfall Chapters, and several other projects that were Kickstarted and then added PayPal afterwards, had their PayPal accounts frozen, with PayPal saying for some time that they would not be unlocked until such time as the games were actually released. They said they were trying to "protect their customers." This has happened several times, and it took a monumental - if fortunately brief - effort to make PayPal see reason and unfreeze the accounts again.

There are different laws in different countries governing PayPal's policies (as they attempt to remain adherent to their interpretation of those laws on a country by country basis,) which causes all sorts of unexpected complexities and conflicts. So things aren't quite as cut and dried as "just do it."

As I've said before, we're not sitting there with Ys Net and AJ, privy to their discussion or decisions. We don't know everything going on behind the scenes or all the reasons for what they do (and don't do) or why. Personally, I'm inclined to always give everyone the benefit of the doubt unless I have proof of pure ineptitude or bungling.

And even were that the case... what can we do about it? We have two choices. 1) Plough ahead and support this process to the hilt, or 2) Fall apart and be less supportive. Even though I know it's frustrating as heck, which of those two courses will best serve the game? It's not as if our outrage is going to force them to put PayPal up more quickly. We waited 14 years for this. We can wait a few more days. I share everyone's frustration. I do. I just want to stay positive and motivated to relentlessly support this, whatever happens, and no matter how bad things get.

That's what got us to where we are now, and it's what will get us to where we want to be. *Insert something about life and lemons here*

Anonymous81 has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, sand4fish
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby simsatit » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:46 pm

Interesting read A81..
Paypal looks good after its custumers, in this case a little too good..;)

will of the ancients

-sona mi areru ec sancitu-
simsatit
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Chaos » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:54 pm

So glad they're doing this. I wasn't able to pledge anything to the kickstarter but I hope to stop being worthless here soon and donate via paypal.
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby sand4fish » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:49 pm

Chaos wrote: So glad they're doing this. I wasn't able to pledge anything to the kickstarter but I hope to stop being worthless here soon and donate via paypal.

You'll get your chance to make a difference. They are dealing with some undisclosed obstacles now, but when Paypal is open, the AJ team assured me that even physical rewards like the replica jacket and the Crystal figure could be part of the rewards tiers. So prepare your wallet for now.

PS. There's nothing worthless about not being able to pledge as tons of people can't even afford it, though they are hardcore fans. Greek fans for example are going through some tough times, so I totally understand.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Chaos
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Three Blades » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:58 pm

Paypal can be pretty stupid sometimes.

Funny paypal story: one time I bought a 1000$ item using Paypal. The money actually went through, and I received my item with no problem. Everything was fine, until a few weeks later, when my dad called me, saying that he'd received a call from Paypal saying that I should get back to them immediately.
(They had called my family's house because that was my official Paypal contact info)

It turns out, Paypal had made the payment BEFORE getting the money successfully withdrawn from my credit card. In other words, Paypal had given me 1000$ and if I hadn't wanted to pay them back, there was nothing they could have done since I already lived out of the country by then. LOL!
...of course, I wanted to continue using their service, so I promptly paid them back.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sand4fish » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:04 pm

Three Blades wrote:
In other words, Paypal had given me 1000$ and if I hadn't wanted to pay them back, there was nothing they could have done since I already lived out of the country by then. LOL!
...of course, I wanted to continue using their service, so I promptly paid them back.

I had a similar experience actually. But please now don't start giving people ideas... lol
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Three Blades » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Woah, really. I always thought that was a huge fluke and probably almost never happened. Huh.
I guess they sometimes make the payment early if you have kept a very good record with no problems over several years.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mrandyk » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:07 pm

Three Blades wrote: Paypal can be pretty stupid sometimes.

Funny paypal story: one time I bought a 1000$ item using Paypal. The money actually went through, and I received my item with no problem. Everything was fine, until a few weeks later, when my dad called me, saying that he'd received a call from Paypal saying that I should get back to them immediately.
(They had called my family's house because that was my official Paypal contact info)

It turns out, Paypal had made the payment BEFORE getting the money successfully withdrawn from my credit card. In other words, Paypal had given me 1000$ and if I hadn't wanted to pay them back, there was nothing they could have done since I already lived out of the country by then. LOL!

I once had a situation like that as well where Paypal paid out before checking to see if i had money in my account, an account that I had closed years prior. Ended up getting a free year of Xbox Live from it.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Three Blades » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:10 pm

LOL! Seriously? And they didn't keep harrassing you until you paid? Was it because you had moved and they didn't know how to contact you?
Seems like this might be a lot more common than I though. I was afraid they'd send thugs to harass my dad if I didn't pay :D
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III