PayPal: the magic answer for Shenmue 4 (and maybe 5)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

PayPal: the magic answer for Shenmue 4 (and maybe 5)

Postby hazuki90 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:07 am

Hello everyone..

I know its too soon to talk about possible sequels but I think we need to start thinking about the future developments in the Shenmue series. Shenmue 3 is now a reality but I really don't want to wait 14 years again for Shenmue 4. I have an idea, Yu Suzuki should fallow Star Citizen model and implement a paypal monthly plans to fund future developments of Shenmue 4 and 5. I really hope that Yu will do this and create the game he envisioned In the first place without budget restraints.

You can learn more about Start Citizen funding here : https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/subscriptions

I dont need to remind you that Star Citizen have rised more than $80 million in this way. Heck, Yu Suzuki can even do this now to fund remaining strech goals. What do you think?
hazuki90
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: PayPal: the magic answer for Shenmue 4 (and maybe 5)

Postby NeoShredder » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:31 am

Problem is there's only so much you can 'sell' with Shenmue. Star Citizen is an mmo isn't it? They're selling things like perks for your character, ships and stuff arnt they?
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:42 am

NeoShredder wrote: Problem is there's only so much you can 'sell' with Shenmue. Star Citizen is an mmo isn't it? They're selling things like perks for your character, ships and stuff arnt they?

Definitely you are right. Star Citizen is a space sim that works through online multiplayer and has as business model micro-transactions. I doubt even big names like GTA and Uncharted (if those were hypothetically crowdfunded) could even compete with that.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:47 am

Honestly, if Shenmue 3 does well at retail, which it likely will (remember how much gaming has changed since 2000). Then I don't see how Shenmue 4 will fail to happen.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby iyapol » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:20 am

I'm all for PayPal BUT - and it's a massive BUT - there has to be 100% transparency with weekly, even daily updates, and there needs to be a cap on public funding.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Chaos » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:04 am

iyapol wrote: I'm all for PayPal BUT - and it's a massive BUT - there has to be 100% transparency with weekly, even daily updates, and there needs to be a cap on public funding.

Why a cap?

And I'd rather them spend their time working on the game than worrying about giving us daily updates.
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby iyapol » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:13 am

Chaos wrote:
iyapol wrote: I'm all for PayPal BUT - and it's a massive BUT - there has to be 100% transparency with weekly, even daily updates, and there needs to be a cap on public funding.

Why a cap?

And I'd rather them spend their time working on the game than worrying about giving us daily updates.

Because I think it's only fair to the public backers that YS uses no more than he needs to. If he feels he can make the best possible game from $12m of donations, then the donations should stop at $12m.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Snakiest » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:58 am

I just wrote a similar thing in another topic. Transparency and a cap are a must.

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Nicolaoua » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:26 am

I think that there is no magic answer. If Shenmue III recoup the money invested for the game, there will be a 4th. If think that's the key: not losing money.
On the other hand, i'm sure that a 4th game would cost less money because they would have mastered the tools.
Nicolaoua

Currently playing: Plants vs Zombies

Postby hazuki90 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:34 am

I hate to say this but Im not sure if Shenmue 3 will sell well. Considering that the game will not be available in retails and the absent of xbox one version. Not to mentioned most the hard core fans will already have a copy once its released. The success of Shenmue 3 will heavily be depended upon Sony's publishing and marketing efforts. Sorry but I will not wait to see how Sony is going to do with the game. This is probably our best way to secure the proper funding needed for development for additional sequels.

If YS Net decided to do monthly payments, they should come up with different tiers and the appropriate rewards for each one. I suggest they put a $5, $10, $20, $50 monthly payments. If this done probably we will come up with at least $50 million in two years that goes to fund Shenmue 4
hazuki90

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:04 am

Cedric Biscay on this:

Q: Now that Kickstarter is well advanced, is that one can have a clear answer on that Shenmue 3 will conclude whether the saga, or if it is already planned to follow up on a Shenmue 4, 5 ...?

A: It seems that Yu Suzuki has already indicated that Shenmue 3 will not conclude the series but on the other hand one should not expect a multitude of episodes. The goal is not to decline Shenmue endlessly but to finish the story.

Q: Can we then imagine launching Kickstarters for the following games?

A: It's unlikely but it remains a possibility. Shenmue 3 has needed a Kickstarter because nobody wanted to take the risk of producing the game the last 14 years. This situation should not happen again.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Telekill » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:42 am

With Shenmue 3 underway, and knowing that it will not complete the story, I'm sure all of us fans are wanting to make sure that Shenmue 4 and possibly 5 are made to ensure that the story is completed. I was doing some number crunching and looked at possible price ranges for what the likely digital format will be when it hits retail. Unless Sega releases Shenmue 1 & 2 in HD form, then I fear that Shenmue 3 could end up remaining a niche game with few sales. That guesstimate coupled with what many gamers are willing to pay for an unknown to them IP equates to around $30-$40 for a digital game. Remember, this is all guess work.

If Shenmue 3 releases digital only on PS4 and PC at $30, a lowball estimate I know, take a look at the chart below:

$30 x 200,000 buyers = $6 million
$30 x 500,000 buyers = $15 million
$40 x 200,000 buyers = $8 million
$40 x 500,000 buyers = $20 million

Remember, these are lowball estimates on both what the game will cost and they number of potential buyers. I'm curious though, how much money will Shenmue 3 have to make after release in order for the 4th to be made? That's the question that many of us are wondering... and of course, if Sega pulls their head from their balloon knot and releases the first two games again then that would increase the userbase significantly.

Telekill has received a thanks from: R3N
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Muscat » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:22 pm

Telekill wrote: With Shenmue 3 underway, and knowing that it will not complete the story, I'm sure all of us fans are wanting to make sure that Shenmue 4 and possibly 5 are made to ensure that the story is completed. I was doing some number crunching and looked at possible price ranges for what the likely digital format will be when it hits retail. Unless Sega releases Shenmue 1 & 2 in HD form, then I fear that Shenmue 3 could end up remaining a niche game with few sales. That guesstimate coupled with what many gamers are willing to pay for an unknown to them IP equates to around $30-$40 for a digital game. Remember, this is all guess work.

If Shenmue 3 releases digital only on PS4 and PC at $30, a lowball estimate I know, take a look at the chart below:

$30 x 200,000 buyers = $6 million
$30 x 500,000 buyers = $15 million
$40 x 200,000 buyers = $8 million
$40 x 500,000 buyers = $20 million

Remember, these are lowball estimates on both what the game will cost and they number of potential buyers. I'm curious though, how much money will Shenmue 3 have to make after release in order for the 4th to be made? That's the question that many of us are wondering... and of course, if Sega pulls their head from their balloon knot and releases the first two games again then that would increase the userbase significantly.

How must Shenmue 3 needs to sell in order to proceed with Shenmue 4? Now after the KS campaign has ended YS Net,Shibuya Productions and Sony should come clean about their agreement and reveal the entire budget to the fans
Muscat

Postby Benwah » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:06 am

iyapol wrote:
Chaos wrote:

Why a cap?

Because I think it's only fair to the public backers that YS uses no more than he needs to. If he feels he can make the best possible game from $12m of donations, then the donations should stop at $12m.

Yu Suzuki didn't say that he can make the best possible game from $12m as far as I'm aware. He merely stated that it would be a truly open world game. With this in mind I don't see the need for a cap.

I do think however that there should be a cut off point for the PayPal donations to stop. I don't remember which poster said it, but they pointed out that there needs to be a point where the donations stop so YsNet knows their budget and make announcements as to what will be included in the game with regards to game mechanics. I also have sympathy with the people who want to do a subscription type payment and I think it would be cool to allow something like this for people who want some of the larger rewards but can't necessarily afford to pay for it in one lump sum.
Benwah
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: ThaiBenwah
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni 2

Postby Three Blades » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:46 am

I bet Shenmue 4 would be much less expensive to make than Shenmue 3, because they can re-use the same character model (or just change it a little bit like they did in S2) and a lot of the same animations (walking, running, the alread-existing moves, etc) will already have been motion-captured, so it won't be as time consuming as starting from scratch like they're doing now.

Anyway, I will gladly donate for Shenmue 4 and 5 when it's time to do so.

Three Blades has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, R3N
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III