Advanced Free Battle!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Advanced Free Battle!

Postby SMDzero » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:50 am

So incredibly stoked that we reached this stretch goal!

Let's face it.. as awesome as Free Battle was in Shenmue 1 and 2, the camera made the system a little problematical at times.

How improved do you think this "Advanced Free Battle" will be? Also what would "rag doll reaction" have been?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Re: Advanced Free Battle!

Postby zema » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:55 am

I would be disappointed if the battles changed much.
I love the virtua fighter system, and don't want a simplified battle system like the batman games wigch don't really need a lot of input from the player.
zema
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: zema7777
Nintendo FC: zema7777
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:00 am

zema wrote: I would be disappointed if the battles changed much.
I love the virtua fighter system, and don't want a simplified battle system like the batman games wigch don't really need a lot of input from the player.

True but I doubt the creator of the 3D best fighting game ever will give us "batmanesque" combat.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bambi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:01 am

SMDzero wrote:Also what would "rag doll reaction" have been?

It would have made combat in rural China much more difficult.

Bambi has received 2 thanks from: johnvivant, myshtuff
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SMDzero » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:02 am

My guess is that Yu will retain the nuances of the fighting system but improve the camera and the controls to make everything a bit more precise.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:10 am

I also would not like the fighting system to stray that far off the Virtua Fighter feel the original games had. After all, it is the spiritual successor of VF RPG we are talking about.

That said, I would like to see the dodge and evasion system improved a bit. See Virtua Fighter 4 or 5 as examples of what could be done with that.

Also, the throw system could use some work. Yakuza is a good example of what could be done there.

Furthermore, they could incorporate the environment a little bit more into the fights. Of course, Yu cannot go all Yakuza here. Ryo is no badass Kazuma Kiryu who throws people on bonfires or stabs them with knives. But something like kicking the opponent down some stairs or smashing a table/chair when they crash into it or Ryo gets kicked into the chair, etc. could be done.

With all that in mind however, I would have declared you crazy if you would have told me a week ago, we were going to make that stretch goal. So the bottom line is. I'm super happy about and can't wait to find out what "Advanced Free Battle" will be like.

Because one thing is for certain. As much as I love QTEs: Free Battle > QTE Battle.
Last edited by Hyo Razuki on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: CodingGenesis
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:13 am

Maybe the money required for this feature was aimed to afford hiring some AM2 staff.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Thief » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:14 am

Yeah, aside from the Character Perspective System (since Yu seemed especially eager to include this aspect), the stretch goal I was most interested in reaching was Advanced Free Battle. It would have been nice to reach all the Battle goals -- but perhaps we still can through Paypal support.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:17 am

Yokosuka wrote: Maybe the money required for this feature was aimed to afford hiring some AM2 staff.

That would be so great! I also would like to see Mitsuyoshi-San back on board for the music.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Reprise » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:30 am

zema wrote: I would be disappointed if the battles changed much.

Same. Hopefully, they won't go down this route...
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:41 am

yugo wrote: The Free Battles actually felt like real fights. You got to control Ryo in every way you wanted to and punish your enemy's power flow. It is the most immaculate mechanic ever to be experienced. Yu described it as "Real Time Fighting"

Exactly and this video is the perfect illustration :
phpBB [video]

Even Virtua Fighter 5 failed to reach this level of realism.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Reprise
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby LucBu » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:43 am

Advanced Free Battle = Breast Physics

Basically, DOA. (I would love that. I love the counter system in DOA, though the evade button is probably better suited to movement and maneuvers in a multi-person battle situation rather than counters. Or is it? Multi-person counters perhaps? Locking two adversaries at once kind of thing.)

I hope we get to fight Niao Sun.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:56 am

Advanced Free Battle = Breast Physics

No offense, but I hope we will never EVER see anything DOA style in Shenmue. :) Counter system is OK, VF has that too but Breast Physics stuff... I have always viewed DOA as a cheap VF knock-off which basically uses boobies to cover up its inferior fighting mechanics. I have to admit this kind of thing would work on my 14 year-old self :lol: but let's please keep this kind of DOA-feeling out of Shenmue.

Don't get me wrong, DOA is kind of fun, but why use the copy if you have the creator of the original as your director and producer?

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: CodingGenesis
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:10 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:I have always viewed DOA as a cheap VF knock-off

The only reason I picked up DOA5 was because it had VF characters in the game... but then I realized that so did VF5... and then I stopped playing DOA.

Thief has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:37 am

I personally wouldn't refer to Tekken as a "big gun". I see that as an even worse VF knock-off than DOA. Like it's just as much of a VF clone as DOA but doesn't have boobies in it to make up for the fighting. :lol:

Just kidding, dude. :mrgreen: I personally like the slow and technical fighting in VF but Tekken and DOA do have their appeal too. Just a matter of taste, I guess.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue III