Advanced Free Battle!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Advanced Free Battle!

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:45 am

DOA is my second favorite fighting game, I love its mix of fun and technique, its story modes, its spectacular effects and sense of humor, its characters. And it's a PC game !!!!!
I secretly dreamed of Team Ninja making their own Virtua Fighter RPG, not only a BTA. But this was before Shenmue 3 was announced. 8)
Last edited by Yokosuka on Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: LucBu
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby LucBu » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:49 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:Don't get me wrong, DOA is kind of fun, but why use the copy if you have the creator of the original as your director and producer?

Haha, I was just joking about DOA. :) I can't remember a fight against any women in Shenmue anyway. There was Yuan, but as you know it depends which version of Shenmue you were playing. That would leave Dou Niu's breast physics.

I think moves that have potential against multiple opponents would be interesting. Like throws that worked on two or three enemies simultaneously. I know some techniques tended to accidently hit multiple people sometimes. I think I knocked out three attackers in 70 man battle with a well placed elbow assault once but, besides that, I'd love to see some moves with those kinds of proficencies intentionally. I remember Wild Throw was also meant for multiple opponents since you could use the falling body as a shield/knock down tool when surrounded - more stuff like that y'know. :)

When it comes to fighting games; DOA's simple rock-paper-scissors based movesets (strikes-throws-counters) is astoundingly good, because it's simple yet adds depth - simplicity that lends to depth is always the pivotal key with gameplay in fighting games. The designs of DOA can be silly and overly sexual sure, but it's a lot smoother than Virtua Fighter, though Virtua Fighter's block system and combo restarts are very technical in higher level play. I never liked Tekken because the juggle mechanic was so exaggerated, but I guess that's its original mechanic - the exaggerated juggle. It always seemed odd when Hwoarang's flick of the knee could keep you in the air for eight hits. I mean that knee must have a gorilla's pelvic strength.

I also hope Yu attracts other investors (should be able to thanks to the Kickstarter's success) and we get the high battle ground mechanic which is probably Virtua Fighter 3's layered tier stages. I suspect the Shenmue team probably had tried this mechanic earlier but ran into bugs with it.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/disp ... =16&pos=14

This old beta screenshot on the Dojo website shows what could be an early high ground battle (Ryo is fighting on the uphill road to his house) which obviously changes the timing and distance with moves in free battle moves. What was it Musashi Miyamoto said; "You must look down on the enemy, and take up your attitude on slightly higher places."

LucBu has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:59 am

LucBu wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote:Don't get me wrong, DOA is kind of fun, but why use the copy if you have the creator of the original as your director and producer?

Haha, I was just joking about DOA. :) I can't remember a fight against any women in Shenmue anyway. There was Yuan, but as you know it depends which version of Shenmue you were playing. That would leave Dou Niu's breast physics.

You forgot about the fights against Eileen and Izumi in Pine Arcade?

But you're right, those are at least some solid Cs Dou Niu's got! :mrgreen:

I think the advanced AI fighting stretch goal could mean that when you are fighting alongside an AI character (like the 70 man battle in S1) you might be able to give tactical commands to the AI fighter. You know, something like: "Stay on the defensive", "Try to use punches/kicks/throws", "Cover me" and so on. That would be awesome.

Also yes, throws can go a long way when fighting multiple opponents. I've always used them a lot in those situations and would love to see that part of the fighting mechanics taken to the next level.

Hyo Razuki has received 2 thanks from: CodingGenesis, LucBu
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby simsatit » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:01 am

It would be great again to practice all these new moves, so that you may have those ready when you need them.
I WOULD HATE to have a special move simply set under a button
I certainly wouldnt want some dumbed down system, e.g. a button masher
Just pure fighting, hope to see a high difficulty setting as wel, i love the feeling of accomplishment after beating whomever.

No push overs please!

will of the acients
ec sonu ereru sancitu

simsatit has received a thanks from: LucBu
simsatit
Asia Travel Representative

Postby LucBu » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:04 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:You forgot about the fights against Eileen and Izumi in Pine Arcade?

I did forget about them! Oh dear. Last time I played Shenmue 2 I was playing through with a buddy of mine. There was no completed file though so I couldn't show him those fights and I think it contributed to them totally skipping my mind with that post. I sure hope Lan Di is harder than Izumi; twenty button QTEs that you if you fail you game over instantly and the console just deletes your file. You get a cutscene of Fuku-san receiving a letter in the mail a month later and breaking down on the Hazuki dojo lawn.
LucBu

Postby simsatit » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:05 am

Pine arcade fights were great indeed!

Please YU give us a extreme high difficuly level to choose from!

Like DS difficuly. ..

will of the acients
ec sonu ereru sancitu

simsatit has received a thanks from: LucBu
simsatit

Postby Telekill » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:29 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:
Advanced Free Battle = Breast Physics

No offense, but I hope we will never EVER see anything DOA style in Shenmue. :) Counter system is OK, VF has that too but Breast Physics stuff... I have always viewed DOA as a cheap VF knock-off which basically uses boobies to cover up its inferior fighting mechanics. I have to admit this kind of thing would work on my 14 year-old self :lol: but let's please keep this kind of DOA-feeling out of Shenmue.

Don't get me wrong, DOA is kind of fun, but why use the copy if you have the creator of the original as your director and producer?

Agreed. Let's keep breast physics at a normal level. Like you, I enjoyed DoA's main draw for a time, but as I got a bit more mature, I'm actually appreciating games that don't rely mostly on sex appeal to sell their games. It's one of the reason's I really liked the new art direction for the Tomb Raider reboot (2013). Besides, Shenmue doesn't need overly sexual females to be an incredible game.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby NeoShredder » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:40 am

Training: Mu Ren Zhuang

Muk Yan Jong (Cantonese: muk yan jong/Mandarin: mu ren zhuang) is a wooden dummy used in Chinese martial arts training. It is associated with the martial art of Wing Chun and other kung fu styles of Southern China. Traditionally made from wood, the dummies are now also made from synthetic materials such as steel and plastic.

Obviously should be included, either in real time or as the new (and Guilin appropriate) QTE Title.

phpBB [video]

Always

NeoShredder has received a thanks from: DOS
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby simsatit » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:44 am

So happy we have reached this...

IT IS A STATEMENT!!

will of the ancients
-ec sonu ereru sancitu-
simsatit

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:51 am

simsatit wrote: So happy we have reached this...
-

me too. i had worries when the kickstarter was stalling that all the battles might end up being QTE only.
Shenmue NEEDS free battle.
Last edited by johnvivant on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DOS » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:53 am

Excellent idea NeoShredder! Now why didn't I think of that?
DOS
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 3 trailer

Postby punkmanced » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:02 am

I'm sure once the advanced free battle goals are all met (fingers crossed), we'll essentially get a PS4-quality version of the Virtua Fighter fighting mechanics.
(Think VF 6...or 7 ;) )
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby simsatit » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:18 am

Yessa!!!
It will be..

will of the ancients
-ec sonu ereru sancitu-
simsatit