Forbes claim $20 million [Update: Forbes talk out their ass]

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Forbes claim $20 million is already secured privately

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:01 am

For all i care, now that they can't damage the kickstarter anymore they can say whatever the fuck they want.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:11 am

Case Closed.

Now where's my Paypal option and Shenmue HD port? That right there should be an article.

sand4fish has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, Wude-Tang Clan
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rika » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:13 am

I don't believe this stuff either...It'd be great if Ys Net did have 20mil to work with right now along with the KS amount.
Rika
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:14 am

That's a relief. I was worried Trump was the secret financier and that Ryo would get Donalds hair.
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Forbes claim $20 million [Update: Forbes talk out their

Postby Reprise » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:27 am

Updated the thread title and original post. Feel free to ignore and move on :)
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:37 am

BlueMue wrote: Would be great if it's true. I don't see any negative effect coming from it. Those who want to still give support through PayPal will still do even after this kind of news. If it's really just a highly guessed figure then it's kinda ass from them to just throw this out. But we had much worse.

Really? You don't see ANY negative effects? Shenmue, the game that's different from other games to the point where there's an epilogue walking simulator at the end of 2? The game that forces you to work in-game? And you expect someone who invests 20 million - even if it's not true - to go along with Shenmue's unique intricacies? You can't be that naive? You realize with 20 million riding on it they would force YS net to streamline it and possibly add a mini map and quest markers?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Re: Forbes claim $20 million [Update: Forbes talk out their

Postby Jeff » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:55 am

They are 100% correct. I said it you didn't believe it. I found this Forbes article and came here to post it but found it already was and you guys don't believe it either! It would take nothing less than a picture of Yu holding a venture capital loan for you to realize that's how business funding works. Why do you think he crated YSnet? Shell corporation. Why do you think he's only borrowing the Shenmue trademark? So if it doesn't succeed and can't be repaid Shenmue's trademark is shielded from a bankruptcy court.
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby Kenny » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:45 pm

Reprise wrote: Bloodstained received 90% of its funds through private investment and openly admitted after the campaign ended that the Kickstarter was used to gauge interest, so I don't know why Shenmue 3 has gotten so much shit for it (especially as no one actually knows any of the facts and much of the speculation has been proven false).

But still, I would love if we got a lot of private investment. If this 20m is true, I will be happy. It would be awesome if it secured even more investment now that the KS was such a success and a record breaker.

And people seem to forget you get stuff when you pledge. You're not exactly giving away money (unless you choose to do that).

All this belly-achin' over this kind of stuff if giving these click-baiters exactly what they want--free press. Stop giving them free press.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:17 pm

Reprise wrote: Bloodstained received 90% of its funds through private investment

That would mean that the game has a budget of $55 million. That would make it around the 30th most expensive game ever made. I'm sure they have some private investors throwing in quite a bit of money but not that much.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

-

Postby danny » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:19 pm

-
Last edited by danny on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

danny has received a thanks from: Phong
danny

Postby Reprise » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Reprise wrote: Bloodstained received 90% of its funds through private investment

That would mean that the game has a budget of $55 million. That would make it around the 30th most expensive game ever made. I'm sure they have some private investors throwing in quite a bit of money but not that much.

I think it means the initial 500,000 asked for was 10%. Here's the quote though, straight from the horse's mouth:

I: All I can say right now is that after over a year of talking with just about every publisher out there, I was able to secure funding for about 90 percent of the game with the condition that I prove the market still wants an Igavania game. Kickstarter proved to be a great solution, as it would (hopefully) show that people still want an Igavania game while simultaneously providing funds for the core game.

That being said, I'm hoping to clear a few stretch goals so I can add some new features and modes that I've always wanted to do but was never able to in the past. Hopefully, the fact that I've been able to gather most of the investment myself will put to rest any fears that backers may have about this title not being released.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:24 pm

Reprise wrote: I think it means the initial 500,000 asked for was 10%. Here's the quote though, straight from the horse's mouth:

You're right. Iga got nearly double the budget to work with (Less than $5 mil from the campaign and about another $5 mil from private investors).
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Previous

Return to Shenmue III