Forbes claim $20 million [Update: Forbes talk out their ass]

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Forbes claim $20 million [Update: Forbes talk out their ass]

Postby Reprise » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:26 am

Update: It's not true: https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 8415936512

Forbes are still spreading a little negativity... smh. Still, I'd be interested to know if there's any truth in that "$20 million funding secured" claim and who their source(s) are.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder ... 3-million/

'Shenmue 3' Kickstarter Campaign Ends On $6.33 Million

Following the surprise announcement at this year’s E3, Shenmue 3 has managed to amass $6.33 million for its Kickstarter campaign becoming the most funded game on the site.

Considering that many thought that Shenmue 3 would never get made, from a fan standpoint this is all rather amazing. However the important thing to realize is that a lot of crowdfunded games use the initial fan based investment to bankroll the actual game’s budget from private venture capitalists.

In the case of Shenmue 3 it sounds like the success of this Kickstarter campaign is being used to underwrite a far larger sum to get the game made.

Specifically that the main privately funded budget will be in the ballpark of $20 million (according to my sources at least) in addition to the already amassed Kickstarter sum, which would make sense considering that this will be an open world game.

While studios like CD Projekt RED were able to fund games like Witcher 3 for a similar amount of money, they were entirely self-published. In this case, Shenmue 3 will receive most of its budget from a third party and they will likely have ideas on how the game should be made.

It’s this top down and detached decision making that can lead to dangerous results – as those making the decisions don’t understand how the game has been built.

To give you an analogy, it’s like someone ignoring the architect of a house and changing the layout. Then getting surprised when the whole thing comes crashing down as the foundations couldn’t support the changes.

A lot of budgetary overspend tends to occur due to this in game development and I am hoping that Yu Suzuki and his team will be able to fend this type of interference off. In some ways the popularity of the Kickstarter should give the team more bargaining capital in terms of high level decision making but we shall see.

Regardless of all this I am just glad Shenmue 3 is finally getting made and obviously wish the team the best of luck in their endeavors.
Last edited by Reprise on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Forbes claim 20 million is already secured privately

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:30 am

This is not the first time I read the 20 million fund, a french source already gave these figures some weeks ago.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Forbes claim 20 million is already secured privately

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:31 am

why don't these people put in block capitals "I'M ONLY SPECULATING HERE!"

so much damage can be caused when people take opinions and speculations as facts.

securing 20 million would be great, but if we don't know its true its best emphasizing that its just a hope. its stuff like this that hurt the kickstarter, .
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Forbes claim $20 million is already secured privately

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:33 am

Would be great if it's true. I don't see any negative effect coming from it. Those who want to still give support through PayPal will still do even after this kind of news. If it's really just a highly guessed figure then it's kinda ass from them to just throw this out. But we had much worse.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:35 am

I wouldn't put any stock in this claim but damn - I sure as hell hope that Ys Net has 26 million to work with. We are going to get an amazing sequel if that is the case.

Lan Di-sama has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Reprise » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:39 am

Bloodstained received 90% of its funds through private investment and openly admitted after the campaign ended that the Kickstarter was used to gauge interest, so I don't know why Shenmue 3 has gotten so much shit for it (especially as no one actually knows any of the facts and much of the speculation has been proven false).

But still, I would love if we got a lot of private investment. If this 20m is true, I will be happy. It would be awesome if it secured even more investment now that the KS was such a success and a record breaker.

Reprise has received 6 thanks from: CodingGenesis, Hyo Razuki, Kenny, MiTT3NZ, Rika, Sonoshee
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:40 am

So who was that private party? A company? A billionaire-son Shenmue fan spending a month's worth of his pocket money?

Also, Adam Boyes has made it very clear many times already. If the KS had not reached $2M, S3 would not have been made.

We must not let any speculation deceive us.

Hyo Razuki has received 2 thanks from: CodingGenesis, Phong
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:50 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:So who was that private party? A company? A billionaire-son Shenmue fan spending a month's worth of his pocket money?

Exactly, if the 20m belongs to only one company, what about the others private funds ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:09 am

johnvivant has received 5 thanks from: Axm, Reprise, sand4fish, Sonoshee, Yokosuka
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:14 am

yugo wrote: I only believe whatever Yu Suzuki says. Every thing else goes into one ear and out the other.

As for articles, It goes into my brain, comes out again.

I'm with yugo. Yu Suzuki (and Cedric Biscay) are the only ones who count. The rest is all hearsay.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: Axm
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:15 am

yugo wrote:
johnvivant wrote: Cedric says 'the source is a liar'
https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 8415936512

Just proves that Forbes are a bunch of jealous fucks.

Technically, it was not Forbes, just a blogger.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:18 am

Nice move of Ced, but I think this kind of journalism will not listen to official channels. It's more like the "we have inside knowledge" kind of thing.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:23 am

Why can't we have at least one decent gaming news website? Its all tabloid shit.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:41 am

Shame. I genuinely would've loved this to be the case, Kickstarter or no Kickstarter. With that said though, it'd be great if there was a deal in place wherein it'd receive extra funding from Sony or a third party based on monetary milestones throughout the campaign.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Reprise
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby LucBu » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:57 am

Reprise wrote: Forbes are still spreading a little negativity... smh. Still, I'd be interested to know if there's any truth in that "$20 million funding secured" claim and who their source(s) are.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder ... 3-million/

'Shenmue 3' Kickstarter Campaign Ends On $6.33 Million

Following the surprise announcement at this year’s E3, Shenmue 3 has managed to amass $6.33 million for its Kickstarter campaign becoming the most funded game on the site.

Considering that many thought that Shenmue 3 would never get made, from a fan standpoint this is all rather amazing. However the important thing to realize is that a lot of crowdfunded games use the initial fan based investment to bankroll the actual game’s budget from private venture capitalists.

In the case of Shenmue 3 it sounds like the success of this Kickstarter campaign is being used to underwrite a far larger sum to get the game made.

Specifically that the main privately funded budget will be in the ballpark of $20 million (according to my sources at least) in addition to the already amassed Kickstarter sum, which would make sense considering that this will be an open world game.

While studios like CD Projekt RED were able to fund games like Witcher 3 for a similar amount of money, they were entirely self-published. In this case, Shenmue 3 will receive most of its budget from a third party and they will likely have ideas on how the game should be made.

It’s this top down and detached decision making that can lead to dangerous results – as those making the decisions don’t understand how the game has been built.

To give you an analogy, it’s like someone ignoring the architect of a house and changing the layout. Then getting surprised when the whole thing comes crashing down as the foundations couldn’t support the changes.

A lot of budgetary overspend tends to occur due to this in game development and I am hoping that Yu Suzuki and his team will be able to fend this type of interference off. In some ways the popularity of the Kickstarter should give the team more bargaining capital in terms of high level decision making but we shall see.

Regardless of all this I am just glad Shenmue 3 is finally getting made and obviously wish the team the best of luck in their endeavors.

According to my source his source was his arse. He bent over and stsuck his head as far as he could up there and asked about Shenmue 3's budget. The resulting echo kinda sounded like $20 million. Hey, at least, that's what my source said.

LucBu has received a thanks from: Axm
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Next

Return to Shenmue III