Too Much Baisha?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Too Much Baisha?

Postby ShinChuck » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:07 am

Strikes me as a little odd that the Kickstarter did all of one village as the stretch goals first, and then the other two later. Makes me wonder if Baisha is going to be a big, deep area, and the other two lacking, or if maybe the Kickstarter went in reverse order, and the stretch goals started with what would already be the smallest.

It could be like Shenmue 1, where Dobuita was quite a bit more fleshed out than the Harbor or Sakuragaoka. In that case, I suppose it could work out just fine!
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Re: Too Much Baisha?

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:18 am

Choubu seems to be the "big city" of Shenmue III, so I don't think so.

Baisha seems a space for Yu to do some kind of strategic system.

To bo honest the stretchgoals are more of a "kickstarter" (they all have those) type of deal than actual budget allocation IMO.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Miles Prower » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:19 am

Yeah, I did find that a bit strange too, that apparently extra stuff for Bailu Village isn't much of a priority - but this may just be the way the story is structured. As you say, it may end up being the 'Dobuita' of this game. And to be honest, I'd be fine with that :) Just got to wait and see I suppose.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:59 am

Btw, I think the story will follow this order :
1) Bailu Village (intro, Dobuita)
2) Choubu (core, would take two discs on dreamcast)
3) Baisha (epic, bosses)

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Reprise » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:22 am

I think Yu himself explained at one point that they were in order of importance and that Baisha was the most important area to have expanded.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby johnvivant » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:09 am

yep. at 2 million i think baisha would have been hugely stripped down compared to the other areas (maybe even smaller than bailu), so suzuki put baisha stretch goals first to bulk it out.

i think he already planed for Choubu to be the main 'open world' shenmue-like area which he would still have achieved even if he only managed to get 2 million. eveything past baisha stretch goals was just more 'enrichment' and depth.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ConanTheKing » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:48 am

How would you feel if he spread the goals out? So if he took the expanded x5 mini game goal and maybe put 2 mini games into two of the towns and 1 into another.

Maybe things like the infiltration mission and other goals could be spread out as well.
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:02 am

He said he planned the game for 5 budget outcomes, so I don't think he'll be wondering that much and juggling content.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:27 am

shredingskin wrote: He said he planned the game for 5 budget outcomes, so I don't think he'll be wondering that much and juggling content.

I thought the 5 game structures were planned before the E3 and he choose one for the kickstarter with slight variations according the final budget, am I wrong ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:29 am

I thought it was depending on what the budget would be, I cannot quote you wrong, so I cannot call me tight either.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Switch » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:47 am

Yokosuka wrote:I thought the 5 game structures were planned before the E3 and he choose one for the kickstarter with slight variations according the final budget, am I wrong ?

This is also my understanding from Yu's Niconico interview i.e. Yu chose one of the 5 game structures for the Kickstarter. It's a bit confusing because he also talks about budget as being one of the factors he considered in deciding which structure to choose, but I take it to mean that the structure he has chosen is suitable for a budget of around $2 to $10 million achieved through Kickstarter.

From the transcript:
Well, those scenarios will stay based on the underlying story, as I spoke about a few minutes ago, but there are several factors to consider when it comes to putting them into the game. For Shenmue III these are things such as: selection of the game engine, the size of the budget,the length of time for development and so on. And depending on these factors, certain changes may be needed to the content of the game. What platforms the game will be on is another consideration. Just for Shenmue III, I ended up with around 5 potential game structures. Stretch goals must also be fitted for the various budget levels, matching with the Kickstarter project. So actually there are several structure variations. And now, for this new project, I have chosen the structure that I believe fits best.

Switch has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:21 pm

We will reach the remaining stretch goals through Paypal, if everybody does their part. All stretch goals will be reached. Don't worry about it. All villages will be fully fleshed out. The game will be just as Suzuki-San intended it to be. So please give Yu some money through Paypal to make the game of our dreams.
Last edited by Hyo Razuki on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sh3ppy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:50 pm

Agreed. Let's play our part re. the funding & I have full confidence on Yu delivering the game we've all been waiting for. His own vision.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Return to Shenmue III