Technique Scroll system

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Technique Scroll system

Postby Switch » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:05 pm

It seems that move scrolls - or "technique scrolls" as they have been called in Kickstarter - will be handled a bit differently in Shenmue III compared to the previous games, so I thought I'd pull together what we have heard from Yu Suzuki about them. (These are my translations of what Yu Suzuki said, not the AJ translations).

From the first Twitch stream:
YS: In Shenmue 3, you will be able to obtain move scrolls {“technique scrolls”} in various places – for example, in shops, mini-games, part-time jobs, gambling, quest events. You’ll be able to make immediate use of move scrolls in battle QTEs – for example, once you get a new scroll, you’ll be able to use it straight away as a QTE appearing during a fight. Being able to use it as soon as you have collected it will make it easy and satisfying to use. I think it will be fun to have it appear and be used when fighting.

Advanced moves and Arcane scrolls will be managed in a tree structure; these will not become immediately available after obtaining them. Instead, a likeness can be drawn with learning of actual martial arts, where you build up to reach an advanced move through the accumulation of several moves; in a similar way, you will need to build up moves in the tree in order to reach the advanced moves, and I think filling the moves in the tree will be fun. But you won’t have to build up to the advanced moves by actually participating in fighting (which can become tiresome); instead you just need to accumulate the necessary move scrolls to fill the tree.

And from the Kickstarter countdown stream:
YS: There is also a Move Scroll {or Technique Scroll} system, which I've spoken before a bit in the past. You will be able to obtain new move scrolls fairly easily. They will be treated just as standard items in Shenmue. Once you have obtained a new move scroll, you will be able to make use of it immediately without needing to practice it, in situations such as QTEs, Battle QTEs or other scenes.

In the world of Shenmue there are several game elements such as mini-games, gambling, part-time jobs, quests and so on. You will be able to pick up move scrolls in various places, and depending on which move scrolls you collect, this will result in several of the game elements linking together. And so eventually this will enable you to defeat the "bosses". Well, my use of the term "boss" here may be misleading. As an example, a mentor kind of person instructs you to beat them in order for you to be promoted to an advanced level. So for this part you must advance by linking together all these game elements in order to defeat them.

I think that, compared to Shenmue II, it will make for an even more balanced game.

So in summary:
  • A move scroll is a normal Shenmue item that can be obtained at various points e.g. through mini-games, gambling, part-time jobs, quests.
  • Most move scrolls can be used immediately, no practice is required to learn the move.
  • Arcane scrolls are a special type which are managed in a Skill Tree. You must accumulate several other move scrolls in order to use them.
  • Moves you have obtained are automatically available during QTEs, Battle QTEs and other situations.

Switch has received 6 thanks from: Amir, Axm, Giorgio, johnvivant, Rikitatsu, Yokosuka
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Technique Scroll system

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:27 pm

Yeah this doesn't sound too hot, to be honest. I liked learning moves from NPCs or through practice... Made them feel like a big deal and something special. (Each time I won a fight using the Tornado Kick in Shenmue 2, I reminisce about Tom :P).

And this Battle QTE thing... Not sure. Guess it's too early to say, we need footage.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: Yeah this doesn't sound too hot, to be honest. I liked learning moves from NPCs or through practice... Made them feel like a big deal and something special. (Each time I won a fight using the Tornado Kick in Shenmue 2, I reminisce about Tom :P).

And this Battle QTE thing... Not sure. Guess it's too early to say, we need footage.

You still will be able to. The way you earn scrolls sounds the same from what I can tell.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Amir » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:46 pm

It's gonna be weird if you can obtain a move scroll from a mini-game like fishing. At least with Lucky Hit it made some sort of sense in that you won the scroll from a vendor. I don't want it to devolve into an arcade-y atmosphere. We'll see.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:51 pm

I've always thought an timing based option QTE would be a good idea- if there would be a way for them to indicate when hitting the punch button or the kick (or direction or whatever) are both options, and the option disappears once its window is over (i.e when enemy is out of ideal range for that attack)

there'd be limited windows depending on the timing and spacing.

so it's kind of like heavy rain QTE's where it shows you buttons you can press but in a martial arts context, and cued towards decisions. So sometimes the point is to kick when the enemy is in the right range, or block and strike in a certain order, etc.

so sometimes any of the options work, sometimes there's a specific decision you're supposed to make.

i think there's potential.

shenmue852 has received a thanks from: PacemaŜinobo
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:01 am

I still don't quite understand what does he mean or how exactly will it work, but seems like there will be 2 types of scrolls, the ones that get you moves and ones used as xp or something.

Probably it will have the new approach of skills like you have on every wrpg instead of having the moveset and training individual moves.

I don't know if it's the best approach, but works for modern games. Shenmue had such a great fighting system but was really underused.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby phinal » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:08 am

It looks like we'll be able to use any of the moves that we obtain and choose what ones to use during QTE. That will be interesting, making everyone's playthrough different and widely unique than each others.
phinal
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Steam: Tachyon

Postby Amir » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:44 am

phinal wrote: It looks like we'll be able to use any of the moves that we obtain and choose what ones to use during QTE. That will be interesting, making everyone's playthrough different and widely unique than each others.

Hm, hadn't thought of that, having choice of QTEs makes the system sound more interesting and varied. I still hope there is some input for player skill, though, and I say that as someone who's not even particularly good at the VF/Shenmue fighting system.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Axm » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:34 am

This is all very interesting. Something I should talk about in the next podcast. Thanks for organizing this info Switch.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Switch » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:56 am

Axm wrote: This is all very interesting. Something I should talk about in the next podcast. Thanks for organizing this info Switch.

You're welcome! Looking forward to your next podcast.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby joka » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:30 am

phinal wrote:It looks like we'll be able to use any of the moves that we obtain and choose what ones to use during QTE. That will be interesting, making everyone's playthrough different and widely unique than each others.

Yes this is my interpretation.

So using the Don Niu fight for example- if that was in S3 it could end multiple ways depending on whether you'd learnt the counter elbow assault or another move.
Could be used mid fight to cut the opponents life bar significantly also... Giving a more organic way of making the fights a bit easier instead of difficulty level.

I think it's interesting if that's the way its planned- my only worry is that some of the moves appear to only be available for certain tier backers which means others (some of whom backed more money even) may miss out on seeing the different variations.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Sh3ppy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:55 am

joka wrote:
phinal wrote:It looks like we'll be able to use any of the moves that we obtain and choose what ones to use during QTE. That will be interesting, making everyone's playthrough different and widely unique than each others.

So using the Don Niu fight for example- if that was in S3 it could end multiple ways depending on whether you'd learnt the counter elbow assault or another move.
Could be used mid fight to cut the opponents life bar significantly also... Giving a more organic way of making the fights a bit easier instead of difficulty level.

I think it's interesting if that's the way its planned- my only worry is that some of the moves appear to only be available for certain tier backers which means others (some of whom backed more money even) may miss out on seeing the different variations.

Maybe they'll be able offer the 'backer scrolls' as payable DLC? Just a thought...
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby joka » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Sh3ppy wrote:
joka wrote:

Maybe they'll be able offer the 'backer scrolls' as payable DLC? Just a thought...

I'm guessing the scrolls are timed exclusivity for those backers and everyone will get them at some point.... That's what I'm hoping anyway!
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Sh3ppy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:06 pm

joka wrote:
Sh3ppy wrote:
joka wrote:

I'm guessing the scrolls are timed exclusivity for those backers and everyone will get them at some point.... That's what I'm hoping anyway!

That seems to make the most sense to me.

Ah, I still wake up with a smile every day thinking we can actually discuss these things as a reality now...
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby Peter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:38 pm

I just assumed they were normal moves scrolls, renamed "technique scrolls", and would just be earned through mini games or given to you. Much like Kowloon where you could win a moves scroll from a lucky hit board etc, instead of buying them in Kung Fu shops.

I didn't think they were that big a deal or anything different.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Next

Return to Shenmue III