Gamespot : Is Shenmue a Good Game? - The Lobby

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Gamespot : Is Shenmue a Good Game? - The Lobby

Postby Sonne2 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:02 am

I swear, I promised to skip this video, but looking at it, at 4:55 when the guy with glasses and a hat said "I'm not playing this game as a nostalgia factor but a person from the future", really annoyed me, when he says that I picture the casual rude and obnoxious call of duty gamer making a playthrough of shenmue 1 and making arrogant culturally insensitive jokes along the way with thousands of views and likes.

This entire video is hard to watch. I mean we got our game being made after all these years, yet these types of people continue to try to trash the name.

Disliked the video, and I advise others to do the same.
Sonne2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:11 am

It's so sad to see the so called professional critics nowadays bashing a game "objectively" when they don't even bother trying to understand the control scheme, or play it long enough at least to see all of its game mechanics.

I remember IGN giving a score of 2/10 for Deadly Premonition when it came out for XBox. After the game became a cult hit and the director's cut released for PS3, all of sudden the score soared to 7/10 even though nothing significant was changed in the game. By gaming journalism's math, Shenmue 3 should be given 10/10 for hype alone.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby JaySw34 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:22 am

I absolutely hate Gamespot for how unfairly they treat the Shenmue series.
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:34 am

I don't mind the bad reviews, but have some decency to at least play the game thoroughly before acting like they know what they are talking about.

sand4fish has received 2 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, AnimeGamer183
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shenmue852 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:31 am

HE FED THE KITTEN THE TOFU INSTEAD OF THE FISH

fucking genius
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:32 am

To be fair I did that too because I didn't know how the choice select worked.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Thief » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:34 am

shenmue852 wrote: HE FED THE KITTEN THE TOFU INSTEAD OF THE FISH

fucking genius

I did that the first time I played the game. Most other games will create a curser over an option and then allow you to press "a" to select it. I didn't know I was selecting the Tofu merely by pressing a direction on the d-pad. I remember being particularly annoyed by it too at the time. I think it's kind of a dumb design choice.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shenmue852 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:37 am

SMDzero wrote: To be fair I did that too because I didn't know how the choice select worked.

I could picture the guy being dim enough to think something like well it's Japan, maybe Asian kittens eat Tofu.

Like when they said that Ryo tells Ine-San that it's just like her to focus on staying busy when depressed, joking that it was awkward that Ryo was saying Ine-San is always depressed, and that something had been lost in translation.

It's completely straightforward, Ine-San is a busybody, so when she says she means to keep busy so as not to get upset, Ryo says it's like her to keep busy whether she's depressed or not. not saying that she's always depressed. These guys just aren't very bright, there's no cultural difference there.

Also, not everyone says the same thing in the game, as he claims. Where's he getting that from? The characters all talk about their own lives and all have different answers to Ryo's questions.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Dragon St. » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:50 am

It is hard to watch. Just like the the videos Funhaus (a popular channel on YT) did on Shenmue, making fun and trashing the game.

''This game is basically a way for young boys to fulfill their life dreams of hanging out in a 80's Japanese town that's really boring. That's basically it.''

They only played the first hour of the game (and sucked horribly at it) of course and didn't make a lot of progress, but they seem to know it all. ](*,)

It's perfectly fine if this game is not for you. But is seems a lot of people feel the need to justify the fact they never played or even heard about the game before E3. They are ignorant on purpose (both about the funding and the game).
Dragon St.
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Gavan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:57 pm

Dragon St. wrote: It is hard to watch. Just like the the videos Funhaus (a popular channel on YT) did on Shenmue, making fun and trashing the game.

''This game is basically a way for young boys to fulfill their life dreams of hanging out in a 80's Japanese town that's really boring. That's basically it.''

They only played the first hour of the game (and sucked horribly at it) of course and didn't make a lot of progress, but they seem to know it all. ](*,)

It's perfectly fine if this game is not for you. But is seems a lot of people feel the need to justify the fact they never played or even heard about the game before E3. They are ignorant on purpose (both about the funding and the game).

Oh yeah I hate that Funhaus video even more than this Gamespot video. What a bunch of stupid douchebags. And they aren't even funny, they just trash the game in a dumb immature way. That video pisses me off so much! :mad:

Here it is if someone wonders what we are talking about (WARNING: very stupid and annoying video!):

phpBB [video]
Gavan

Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:45 pm

^ That video was fucking hilarious. I was laughing alot during it, some times its not bad to see another perspective especially when they can make it comical but I disagree with their dis liking of the game. BUT keep in mind some of the stuff they were saying you can make fun of in just about any story driven game, even if its a really good game you can always go back and make fun of just about any aspect. I would keep an open mind going into that video, who cares if they dont like the game?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Weils » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Gavan wrote:Oh yeah I hate that Funhaus video even more than this Gamespot video. What a bunch of stupid douchebags. And they aren't even funny, they just trash the game in a dumb immature way. That video pisses me off so much! :mad:

Here it is if someone wonders what we are talking about (WARNING: very stupid and annoying video!)

This video's going make my blood boil, so I'm not going to watch it. I realised most of the comments are like minded ignorants who make fun of the game and wonder why Shenmue 3 KS exists. :roll:
Weils
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Bayonetta 1+2

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:34 am

I lost interest in the first few seconds when they called it "Shen-muey". :roll:
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonne2 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:47 pm

Gavan wrote:
Dragon St. wrote: It is hard to watch. Just like the the videos Funhaus (a popular channel on YT) did on Shenmue, making fun and trashing the game.

Oh yeah I hate that Funhaus video even more than this Gamespot video. What a bunch of stupid douchebags. And they aren't even funny, they just trash the game in a dumb immature way. That video pisses me off so much! :mad:

Here it is if someone wonders what we are talking about (WARNING: very stupid and annoying video!):

phpBB [video]

this is exactly what I meant... however its nice to see some people in comment section try to stand up for shenmue
Sonne2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Pogogacy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:55 pm

For what it's worth than Funhaus or whatever they're called... if it's the channel I'm thinking of, they've hated Dark Souls, Uncharted, Bloodbourne and The Last of Us, but think Destiny is a great game.

That alone is enough to instantly disregard any opinion they have about videogames ever again, irrespective of anything they say about Shenmue.

Pogogacy has received 5 thanks from: Abraham_1, Aimless Gamer, Himuro, NeoShredder, Sonne2
Pogogacy

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III