Paypal Update... Sort Of

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Paypal Update... Sort Of

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:02 am

UPDATE: On an unrelated matter, YsNet sent me a reply (a late one regarding my problem lol) stating that the official crowdfunding outside KS will be happening soon (hopefully). So keep an eye on the KS page for updates!

I have posted a message previously about how AJ told me the team is not privy to what's going on regarding the Paypal situation, but a lot people missed that so I decided to create a thread with a follow-up message he just sent to me:

We understand the sentiment going around. Unfortunately we do not have much to give right now. Talks are under way and progress is being made. As you can imagine however, there are other factors which will affect the decision that your normal Kickstarter does not need to consider.

All we can say is to keep spirits up, because it will happen. Mr. Suzuki still has a lot he wants to do with the game and feels strongly about making it work.

Hang in there!

Note that AJ has experience implementing Paypal as seen in their past Kickstarter projects, so in this case the issue is above them.

EDIT: Here's the initial response for my inquiry towards Paypal, among others.

Hello,

Thank you very much sir! Without the Absolutely amazing Shenmue community, none of this would have been possible. Congratulations to you!

As for the Paypal, Mr. Suzuki did mention it on the Twitch broadcast. There are reasons yes, none of which I am personally privy to. But you can imagine our situation is is slightly more complicated than your average Kickstarter.

As for the jacket and figure, you're right on there. If the crowd funding does continue, they should be included. Thanks!

Yes, we should be continuing to work with Ys Net and Mr. Suzuki throughout the whole KS process.

Enjoy your Happy Shenmue weekend too!

Awesome Japan
Last edited by sand4fish on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

sand4fish has received 5 thanks from: Anonymous81, ConanTheKing, Himuro, Hyo Razuki, Reprise
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Paypal Update... Sort Of

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:15 am

That's actually a really good response you got there. Doesn't even seem to be a standard copy & paste answer.

Kudos to Joel Tess. =D>

Hyo Razuki has received 3 thanks from: Anonymous81, ConanTheKing, Reprise
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Reprise » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:17 am

Thanks for the update mate. Would it be possible for you to add the original message to your post as well?

I wonder why he keeps mentioning that there are factors that don't usually affect "normal Kickstarters". What's different about Shenmue 3 that would make Paypal difficult?
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:32 am

Reprise wrote: Thanks for the update mate. Would it be possible for you to add the original message to your post as well?

Done :D. Hope this will keep the angry mob in place for now. :lol:

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:46 am

Please give AJ some credit and stop blaming them for every little thing.

Himuro has received 4 thanks from: Anonymous81, Jibby, Reprise, Supa
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:55 am

Yeah, I've tried to paste and paraphrase this message (the original one, not this latest one) in various places. Definitely deserves its own topic.

This is why I continue to advocate giving people the benefit of the doubt rather than rushing to judgment. We aren't flies on the wall watching the proceedings and we have no idea what is going on. To simply assume ineptitude or a lackadaisical attitude is unfair in my opinion.

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: Reprise
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Himuro » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:17 am

It also paints the community in a bad light as being highly reactionary and judgmental.

Himuro has received 3 thanks from: ConanTheKing, johnvivant, Reprise
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:39 am

So basically it's other factors that the Kickstarter doesn't need to deal with.

The only thing I can think of is that you get your money refunded if the project doesn't get released for whatever reason, but with PayPal it would be a much more complicated process of refunding in the event of failure?

Any other issues?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Axm » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:57 am

All signs point to the 3rd imo. Plenty of time to sort anything out and prep for a solid launch.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:07 am

Anonymous81 wrote: Yeah, I've tried to paste and paraphrase this message (the original one, not this latest one) in various places. Definitely deserves its own topic.

Ah... I have to remind you all actually that this is just all conjecture and not the official statement. Yu Suzuki and Ysnet have the final say in this.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:20 am

There are reasons yes, none of which I am personally privy to. But you can imagine our situation is is slightly more complicated than your average Kickstarter.

Somehow I think this is referring to investors. There's no reason to start a Paypal if Coca-Cola(just an example) wants to give Yu $15 million go have Coke machines spread throughout China. It would be bad practice. Kickstarter is different because it's the initial push to show interest AND raise money.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: Mr. Rod
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:44 am

personally I think every major decision is probably being run past SEGA since its still their franchise... I would not be surprised if any campaign changes have to be reported and agreed even though they don't seem to want to have anything to do with the development.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Reprise » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:48 am

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote: personally I think every major decision is probably being run past SEGA since its still their franchise... I would not be surprised if any campaign changes have to be reported and agreed even though they don't seem to want to have anything to do with the development.

I was wondering this too. Or if even Sony have some sort of say...
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Supa » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:49 am

Could be complications by SEGA, could be setting up the rewards if there will be any, could be designing the site where the PayPal information will be hosted, a legally binding agreement of refund possibilities, potential public and private investors wanting to make an announcement...could be a lot of things. Just be patient!
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby James Brown » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Or it could just be that around a week ago, we all threw a combined total of 6.3 mil at them, and they are in no real hurry to get the Paypal page up because they know we're all currently broke :)

James Brown has received 2 thanks from: ConanTheKing, Supa
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Next

Return to Shenmue III