Shenmue had INCREDIBLY good controls

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue had INCREDIBLY good controls

Postby Mr357 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:07 am

Himuro wrote:
Mr357 wrote:
Himuro wrote: Metal Gear Solid, to my memory, did not use the second analog stick.

Left one rotates/moves Snake, right one moves the first/third-person camera.

In Metal Gear Solid 1? That isn't true at all. MGS1 only used left analog stick, and the camera wasn't movable. The only way to "move" the camera was to stand up against a wall or go into fps view.

Dual analog set up didn't get common until 2001.

Bambi wrote: What I find weird is that I still used the d-pad to control my forklift even when the analogue stick is available. It would seem the better choice but I kept hitting walls when I tried to use it. :???:

The dpad is much better for the forklift, whether doing regular work or racing.

It's been a while since I've played MGS, and the first thing I saw when I googled it indicated that it used both analog sticks. That must have been for the HD collection or something. Regardless, the DualShock was still a more versatile controller and had much better analog sticks. On top of that, the top-down view in MGS limited its planes of motion and allowed more fluidity with less advanced controls. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who doesn't care for the DualShock controller. Even if it's pretty basic, I love the Dreamcast controller and have never had an issue with the control scheme of Shenmue.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Supa » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:23 pm

south carmain wrote: I don't get people say "by today's standards" at the time smooth analogue controls had existed for quite some time and the only reason why shenmue's controls are clunky is because they purposely made them that way for the experience.

Wherever they're good or bad is purely subjective as they achieve their purpose just fine and it all depends on wherever the user likes the way they achieve that purpose or not. Really there's no right or wrong answer here...

End of discussion.

Supa has received a thanks from: punkmanced
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:31 pm

It's pretty useless but after 10 years I just found out a way to rotate Ryo by holding the B button in Shenmue II. :shock:

Yokosuka has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Supa
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:14 pm

The Dreamcast only had one Joystick and mostly every game uses the second Joystick to control the camera it may be the reason why we control Ryo with the D-pad.When I first played Shenmue I used to run into walls
a lot and it took me some time to get used to the controls. The D-pad will always be better for the combat than the Joystick and I'm hoping we can still use it in Shenmue 3 for the fighting.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:16 pm

The_Intruder wrote: The Dreamcast only had one Joystick and mostly every game uses the second Joystick to control the camera it may be the reason why we control Ryo with the D-pad.When I first played Shenmue I used to run into walls
a lot and it took me some time to get used to the controls. The D-pad will always be better for the combat than the Joystick and I'm hoping we can still use it in Shenmue 3 for the fighting.

Again, back in those days, using right stick for camera was not a thing.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:58 pm

Himuro wrote:
The_Intruder wrote: The Dreamcast only had one Joystick and mostly every game uses the second Joystick to control the camera it may be the reason why we control Ryo with the D-pad.When I first played Shenmue I used to run into walls

Didn't the PS1 controller had 2 Joystick?
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:31 pm

I wonder if any of the Sega members have ever explored Nagai Industries before the release... damnish, is it me or it's just impossible to climb the stairs without Ryo doing absurd things ? Wow, I didn't remember having particular issue with this before. :lol: Otherwise, it's still super cool to explore so confined and realistic areas in a third-person view videogame.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:00 pm

The_Intruder wrote:
Himuro wrote:

Didn't the PS1 controller had 2 Joystick?

Doesn't matter. No one really used it until Ape Escape.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Shibiryo » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:05 pm

1. Microsoft and Sony mocked Nintendo for using
motion controls. After approximately infinity-billion Wii sales, they built motion controls.

2. Quicktime events give the latest in gaming all the thrilling interactivity of a DVD player.

Funnily enough, controllers have been evolving amazingly fast since the first Pong paddles, asking questions such as "How can we simulate the true impact of violence and death?" (make it shake a bit), "How can we make more money?" (only ship one damn controller with the console) and "How can you effectively control a first-person-shooter without a mouse?" (you can't). Nintendo daringly released a new kind of controller, and even more daringly released it before it worked properly, and outright-fuck-you- daringly offered to sell the missing parts years later for more money. Microsoft, meanwhile eventually mastered making controllers smaller than a tank, while Sony - well, I have tried to find a PS4 owner to ask but couldn't

Shenmue on the other hand did the unthinkable and before all of this motion shit encompassed through the measely use of rocky d-pad use. That's Dreamcast and motion for you. Mind you, I hate the joystick on the Dreamcast.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:33 pm

Yokosuka wrote: I wonder if any of the Sega members have ever explored Nagai Industries before the release... damnish, is it me or it's just impossible to climb the stairs without Ryo doing absurd things ? Wow, I didn't remember having particular issue with this before. :lol: Otherwise, it's still super cool to explore so confined and realistic areas in a third-person view videogame.

I can't recall ever having an issue with the stairs in Nagai Industries. Trying to enter the door to the office and accidentally starting a conversation with Mr Strong McTough standing guard outside, on the other hand? #-o :P

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Taren Fox
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Previous

Return to Shenmue