Shenmue had INCREDIBLY good controls

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue had INCREDIBLY good controls

Postby SMDzero » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Considering we were forced to use the d-pad.

Seriiously the fact that Shenmue controls as well as it did is a miracle... it controls way better than RE even with "tank controls".

I think the reason is because Shenmue had the perfect camera system that constantly stays right behind you.

Just like RE4 had great controls even though they were digital was because of the tight behind the back camera the same is true of Shenmue.

Also Shenmue gets props for using the trigger for "analog" movement.

I give Shenmues controls an 8.5.. the only weird part is sometimes having to slightly adjust itself using the B button.\\

I almost kind of hope to use the D pad agin in SIII but of course we need true dual analog control since it will be 2017

SMDzero has received 4 thanks from: Henry Spencer, R3N, Reprise, Three Blades
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Re: Shenmue had INCREDIBLY good controls

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:46 pm

I never understood why Shenmue gameplay is criticized so much, even among the fans. But since I watch playthroughs on the web, I found a lot of players constantly hit the walls and have difficult to turn Ryo where they want. So I guess the critics are somehow right.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:54 pm

No they weren't. Compare them to something like Metal Gear Solid and even during the time period they were pretty bad. Metal Gear Solid 2 came out the same year as Shenmue II and two years after Shenmue 1. The controls between the two games is night and day. Shenmue 1's controls are manageable; you get used to them. But they are not in any way, good. Relaxing maybe, due to the Left Trigger movement which allows you to play the game one handed, but good? No. They weren't.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:14 pm

While they probably are bad, I to this day still like them. I think they somehow seem to fit with the world/immersion of that game. It makes it unique.

However, I would like to see it updated, similar to l.a. Noire as I thought the control scheme (and much of the game) was a modern take on it)...

I would especially like to see controls that compliment the fighting system better. I definitely don't miss the camera frustrations in those segments lol...
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Mystere » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:21 pm

Much as I love the games, control of Ryo isn't what I'd call incredible. I mean God forbid you try to turn around on a flight of stairs. Or try to make a sharp turn without hitting back and doing a 180. I sure won't miss that in SIII.
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby amiga1200 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:33 pm

(when in rome, do as the romans do. i know what place i'm dealing with here, so the stops are out.)
YES! (i'll be a voice of DISSENT! if it offends you having a difference of opinion, tough shit!)
the controls were good, but could use improvements...not much though.
only real issue i had, was the analogue stick sensitivity.
after some serious effort adapting, was a breeze.
it's the same on any game really.
games that follow on the story, or type having a totally different set of prefixes that can't be user/custom defined, that's a gear-grinder right there! :mad:
at least shenmue carried over the default prefixes, so it wasn't a twat to get right into...
the third game will be interesting to look at the controller prefixes, and i'd expect NO less than the ability to user define mapping and prefixes. :mrgreen:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Sh3ppy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:22 pm

I think for today's standards they may be considered a bit clunky, but I'm playing my way through I (it's been at least 6 years), & I genuinely have no issue with the controls. They don't seem to detract from the game in any way & I know it sounds obvious, but one does learn fairly quickly the best way to use the controls to keep Ryo moving fluidly. As someone above said, even one handed (when walking/running about) is pretty natural. The control scheme works for the engine, is what I'm trying to say.

Sh3ppy has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby south carmain » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:40 pm

I don't get people say "by today's standards" at the time smooth analogue controls had existed for quite some time and the only reason why shenmue's controls are clunky is because they purposely made them that way for the experience.

Wherever they're good or bad is purely subjective as they achieve their purpose just fine and it all depends on wherever the user likes the way they achieve that purpose or not. Really there's no right or wrong answer here...

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Supa
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby SMDzero » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:41 pm

I tried to use the analog control for Shenmue 2 and didn't like it. Te game was simply designed for the d pad
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:46 pm

People moan too much about the controls. Even after having used the analogue for years, going back and playing Shenmue with the D-pad is so incredibly easy. It takes like 30 seconds to get used to it again.

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: R3N, Reprise
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sh3ppy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:51 pm

south carmain wrote: I don't get people say "by today's standards" at the time smooth analogue controls had existed for quite some time and the only reason why shenmue's controls are clunky is because they purposely made them that way for the experience.

Wherever they're good or bad is purely subjective as they achieve their purpose just fine and it all depends on wherever the user likes the way they achieve that purpose or not. Really there's no right or wrong answer here...

Fair enough, that is a good point.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:09 pm

Even by 1999's standards the controls weren't that good.

Sonoshee wrote: People moan too much about the controls. Even after having used the analogue for years, going back and playing Shenmue with the D-pad is so incredibly easy. It takes like 30 seconds to get used to it again.

Very true, but remember that we are Shenmue diehards and likely have replayed the game like 10 times, so we're used to it. First timers, or people who haven't played since 2000 will have more trouble. The controls do have a learning curve and I don't fault players for finding it difficult, because I had the same problem. But like many games, you adjust, and they serve their purpose and nothing more. They're not TERRIBLE, because the game is more than playable, they just not OPTIMAL.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:17 pm

Himuro wrote: Even by 1999's standards the controls weren't that good.

I never heard complains about gameplay at its time. You can't find better than Shenmue for exploring areas where space is limited and confined in a realistic way and I've played MGS on PS1 before.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:22 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Himuro wrote: Even by 1999's standards the controls weren't that good.

I never heard complains about gameplay at its time. You can't find better than Shenmue for exploring areas where space is limited and confined in a realistic way and I've played MGS on PS1 before.

I think the interior controls, for the most part, are fine. The problem is when you're in the field and need to turn when on stairs for instance, or get caught in an object and have pivot and do all this shit just to get back on track.

And controls aren't gameplay.

For this reason I preferred II's controls.
Last edited by Himuro on Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:26 pm

AM2 solved the issue in Shenmue 2 for the stairs, you can turn amazingly fast, maybe because I've played it on Xbox and its D-pad had diagonals.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue