What was the one thing you found unique about Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: What was the one thing you found unique about Shenmue?

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:34 pm

To be able to interact with every NPC and fully voiced has always impress me a lot.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:02 am

The_Intruder wrote: To be able to interact with every NPC and fully voiced has always impress me a lot.

Even the dude who pushes the trolley around outside the harbour, who you can't usually interact with, is voiced. Unfortunately, he shares the same dialogue as the green dude who can be found wandering around the harbour and who Ryo later bitch-slaps in Asia Travel Company, but it's still awesome he was given placeholder dialogue at all :D

phpBB [video]

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:28 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
The_Intruder wrote: To be able to interact with every NPC and fully voiced has always impress me a lot.

Even the dude who pushes the trolley around outside the harbour, who you can't usually interact with, is voiced. Unfortunately, he shares the same dialogue as the green dude who can be found wandering around the harbour and who Ryo later bitch-slaps in Asia Travel Company, but it's still awesome he was given placeholder dialogue at all :D

phpBB [video]

I'm really wishing the funds Yu Suzuki was able to get for Shenmue 3 will give him the freedom to have every NPC fully voiced again. I just love to talk to everybody in the game.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby MJMW » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:41 pm

martial arts
Last edited by MJMW on Sun May 27, 2018 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

MJMW has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
MJMW
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: FFXII

Postby BlueMue » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:01 pm

It's hard to pinpoint only one thing that really struck me when I first played the game, unless you consider the whole game itselft as the one thing. But I think I can say that it was incredible degree of realism the game has. The weather system and the passing of time with greatly affected NPCs with their daily routines was and still is mind blowing.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:09 pm

BlueMue wrote: It's hard to pinpoint only one thing that really struck me when I first played the game, unless you consider the whole game itselft as the one thing. But I think I can say that it was incredible degree of realism the game has. The weather system and the passing of time with greatly affected NPCs with their daily routines was and still is mind blowing.

The daily routines of NPCs even feels substantial and meaningful, too, something many modern games lack in every regard. Fair enough, it's all just an algorithm with visuals and actions put on top, but the way in which it's presented in Shenmue far outweighs a game such as Skyrim where the routines of NPCs feels so empty and assembly line-like. Shenmue makes it so much more believable and real.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby amiga1200 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:25 pm

shenmue had it's other moments, more for background effect.
have ryo go to any given area (public areas for one) and stand 'creepily gazing' , just stood still for the ambient audio, cafe's were a good location too.
when not playing for the objective, the game has many ambiances..and useful for a self-therapy, like the sound of rain hitting a tin roof, or a hearty wood fire blazing away. :mrgreen:
(got the soundtrack, but not the ambiances yet.)
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Shibiryo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:35 am

How everyday is different (in-game) due to a unique set of dialog, every character feels real and their emotions really do show with it's regular changes as you interact with them (conversations, looking after the cat). It is essentially real life.

Shibiryo has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby rome » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:02 pm

Shibiryo wrote: How everyday is different (in-game) due to a unique set of dialog, every character feels real and their emotions really do show with it's regular changes as you interact with them (conversations, looking after the cat). It is essentially real life.

It truly is amazing how they were able to throw you in to this world, for however long you were playing. You decided what you wanted to do that particular day, progress the story, or just mess around at the arcade or train for hours. The world was yours to do with as pleased (within Shenmue).

I originally loved be able to talk to every NPC you came across in the game, and not getting the same bland comment you just heard. QTE had me hooked, I wanted to come across as many as possible.

The music is incredibly well spread out throughout the game and does a fantastic job capturing the moment you're in, from a dark moment to happy. Simply one of my favorite things about Shenmue is the music.

Learning moves and training, to being able to feed a kitten, to each playthrough being somewhat different from the last. A game that never gets old IMO and an amazing story.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:59 am

It's a though question.

There are so many things in the original game which overwhelmed me.
The graphics, OST, the cinematic cut-scenes...

Above all, it's the Shenmue's world consistency who impressed me more.
Talking to NPC, using the phone, magic Weather, day/night cycle and all of that wrapped with culture and martial arts.

Back then, it was THE game designed for me (still is) :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Previous

Return to Shenmue