What was the one thing you found unique about Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

What was the one thing you found unique about Shenmue?

Postby Senpai Gamer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:47 pm

You can tell me you liked the story or the mini games or even the Hilariously good VA.

I liked all the above but there is one thing i found very intresting about the shenmue duolgy(soon to be trilogy!!).
What i found the most unique was the culture.By that i mean how Yu suzuki choose the make the game based around Japan and China.Since japan and china arent BFFs i diddnt expect to ever see a game that allows you to embrace both cultures without making one of them inferior.

I really loved how Yu suzuki decided to have

S1 in Japan
S2 in China
S3 in China

I really learnt alot about both cultures from the game.This game when it is played by chineese people(china is allowing playstations to be sold now) could help strenghten the relationshio between both repective countries.But thats going on a new topic.

Overall i am hoping We get Shenmue 4 and 5 after Shenmue 3.
I would love to see Shenmue 4 in Japan again since it could bring back Nozomi.Do any of you think we might see future Shenmue games that introduce us to even more cultures?

Senpai Gamer has received 2 thanks from: amiga1200, ShenGCH
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IX

Re: What was the one thing you found unique about Shenmue?

Postby amiga1200 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:01 pm

obviously, the game as a whole.
if there was any shortcomings, i'd have flung the disks out the goddamn window. (and made it my mission to off ** ******)
the ONE thing that stood out for me, was the technical side of it, not that i'm a coder. (but a hardware guy.)
if betamax vs vhs was an example, but betamax failed, then dreamcast was the same.
shemnue took that machine to new levels, graphics and gameplay (music too) in that case could only be attained on high-end computers.
it was WAYYYYY ahead of it's time. (i do occasionally fire it up, and even though one and a half decades has passed, still have the same appreciation for it.
then again, i'm a commodore guy at heart, and know a good thing when i see it! (in my opinion.)
not commenting on story, can't be fucked with headache from users, so they can fill that blank. :mrgreen:
it's what the game brought to the cast, including itself. :-k 8)
[edit]
corrections.

amiga1200 has received a thanks from: Senpai Gamer
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:10 pm

The fact that the story included the boring day-to-day "in between" shit. Most games and films play out like a montage, just showing you the most important parts and completely ignoring the fact that the characters actually have lives and need to do things like eat, sleep, blow off steam, etc.

Whilst the games didn't necessarily go all out with this by modern day standards, it still felt like the player was constrained to the limits of reality. You couldn't just go out, hijack a boat and sail your way to Hong Kong, that shit just wouldn't happen. You'd have to break the bank or get a job to fund it, and the people around you would tell you not to do it coz of how ridiculously stupid and dangerous it is.

The term "realistic" is often cringed at nowadays, but I certainly feel that the Shenmue series was/is very grounded, and whilst I'm sure there are games released since or perhaps even before it that use a similar approach (maybe even to better effect) I certainly haven't played them.

There was a hell of a lot in Shenmue that was unique at the time, certainly to me at least, but this is the stand-out aspect that made it such an unforgettable experience.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Senpai Gamer
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Mr357 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:11 pm

The characters. Few games have the level of depth in all characters that Shenmue has.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Senpai Gamer
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:56 am

For me, it's the amazing power the game has to compel people to post topics in the wrong forum.

OL has received 5 thanks from: JaySw34, MiTT3NZ, Mr357, Taren Fox, Thief
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:26 am

At the time, it was the level of interaction the game allowed, and how deep and meaningful a great deal of it was. Sure, you could pick random things up and move them around in your hand for no real reason, but when it came to things such as being able to use the telephone and interacting with many of the items in the basement, complete with interesting dialogue, that shit was amazing.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

-

Postby danny » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:09 am

-
Last edited by danny on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny
Master of the Three Blades

Postby amiga1200 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:35 am

OL wrote: For me, it's the amazing power the game has to compel people to post topics in the wrong forum.
^^ un-FUCKIN-believable! :roll: ](*,)
saw it here first...and backs up what i said elsewhere in another dojo area. (no fuckin chance would i ask for help. creating a subject here is a now a NO-NO!)
welcome to the dojo!
a lot are nazis, and they behave like pissy board staffs with power, not to mention ALL the in-house biggin-up and thanking each-other on rep and wit related, NOT of substance.
SHAME ON YOU! (that post was bad, and you should FEEL bad. :mad: )
welcoming??? LOLOLOLOL!
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby muhu » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:52 am

Shenmue is unique with the title of the game itself.
muhu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

-

Postby danny » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:11 am

-
Last edited by danny on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby amiga1200 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:15 am

^^ absolutely. 8)
just voicing discord, as it's public. (don't need to be registered to get your eyes stabbed. if it was a pure private board, wouldn't have said shit.)
yeah, i'm great.
appreciate the concern, thanks for asking. :mrgreen:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby muhu » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:18 am

danny wrote:
amiga1200 wrote:
OL wrote: For me, it's the amazing power the game has to compel people to post topics in the wrong forum.
saw it here first...and backs up what i said elsewhere in another dojo area. (no fuckin chance would i ask for help. creating a subject here is a now a NO-NO!)
welcome to the dojo!
a lot are nazis, and they behave like pissy board staffs with power, not to mention ALL the in-house biggin-up and thanking each-other on rep and wit related, NOT of substance.
welcoming??? LOLOLOLOL!

Are you alright, Amiga?

He's alright, I'm sure. He is just adressing what OL said which I agree upon actually. Sure Amiga's post style seems weird but people are different, use a keyboard differently and Shenmue fans are all equally badass.
muhu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

-

Postby danny » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:50 am

-
Last edited by danny on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby OL » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:23 am

amiga1200 wrote:
welcome to the dojo!
welcoming??? LOLOLOLOL!

Oh my god, I'm so sorry!

Oh wait, no I'm not. It was a joke. A joke which was neither hurtful nor mean-spirited, and didn't end with me rolling my eyes, calling anyone "pissy," or calling people nazis (by the way, the internet circa 2005 called; it wants its childish argument tactics back). Senpai Gamer made a small mistake, so I corrected it and made a short quip to explain the move. And oh, look at that: I stayed on topic with it too. It's kind of what a mod is supposed to do. If that makes me a nazi, then Heil freakin' Hitlah.
If Senpai Gamer took offense to it, then sure, apologies. Just making a joke.
But right now you're acting like that white guy who takes more offense at a black joke than a black guy does. You have no place to be getting upset about this.
If you want to talk about anyone's posts "stabbing" people in the eyes, I think you should go back and re-read a few of your own. Seriously, they're like goddamn prison shivs.
We don't all have to be constantly sucking each other off for it to be a good forum. So kindly get over it, mmkay? Advice for all parts of life.
Now excuse me while I goose step to another topic.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby amiga1200 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:33 am

^^ not seeing the joke, even on review. (smileys help to highlight the sarcasm)
and i was speaking for myself, experience here. (and i posted ONE subject in the off topic area, even though i KNEW it was for the general gaming area. WHY? it's because i'm NEW, and couldn't be fucked IT getting what i quoted...a 'joke' thinly veiled...
turns out, nobody pulled me on it, still there. 'credentials [off topic] nailed em!)
not speaking on behalf of anybody, but myself.
NOBODY needs to back me, or me them.
i stand alone, as i do wherever i'm at...including posts. (no sockpuppetry with me. if i get NUKED, the persons nuked with it, GONE!)
true, my posts are MEANT to make a point, NOT target.
advice is noted. :cry:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue