There is high probability Sega going to support Shenmue III.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

There is high probability Sega going to support Shenmue III.

Postby R3N » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:22 pm

I doubt Sega would allow an indie looking game under their brand. Especially now they promised to focus on making "Quality games"
I expect Sega to invest atleast 10 million to 20 million now on Shenmue brand.

They have Sega under their copywrite so is very obvious Sega will back this project with some funding.

At Least they should out source Shenmue Remake to Ys.net

If things go great and dreams continue to come true. We may see a Shenmue remake of Shenmue I and Shenmue II on Unreal engine 4. So that the 3 games will be compatible and we can transfer save files.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: There is high probability Sega going to support Shenmue

Postby Rakim » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Well that escalated quickly.

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: PacemaŜinobo, Reprise
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Mr357 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:10 pm

Only time will tell, and we've got over two years.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:22 pm

Huh? The copyright is only meant to show that Sega owns the property. You are looking into this way too much, especially given how mum Sega has been about it.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Reprise
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:38 pm

I've heard rumors from a guy working nearby Monaco that the China government is ready to help massively Shenmue III because they're afraid that the game sends a bad image of their country.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby LucBu » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:44 am

Yokosuka wrote:I've heard rumors from a guy working nearby Monaco that the China government is ready to help massively Shenmue III because they're afraid that the game sends a bad image of their country.

With China and Sega both backing Shenmue 3 we're looking at a budget five times of the original game, at least. Maybe even nine times more. Baisha village is going to be bigger than New York.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:13 am

Bigger than New York? You're thinking way too small here, dude! With the Communist Party's Dollar reserves behind the game, Yu can make Baisha bigger than Beijing! :D
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:35 am

So SEGA and China are funding it now, that's great. Plus, another thing I noticed: 'Shenmue III'... 'III'? 'III'=3! Half-Life 3 confirmed! \:D/

Monkei has received a thanks from: Himuro
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:01 am

Himuro wrote: Huh? The copyright is only meant to show that Sega owns the property.

This.

I imagine Sega will throw some funding at Shenmue, but I imagine it will be for HD versions of the first two games if anything.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby R3N » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:36 am

Shenmue III funding have to come from somewhere.
The 4 million from kickstarter is not enough and I doubt Sony will fund the rest.
Shenmue needs a budget of 20 million minimum to be a worthy game.
If Sega can wasted 20 million to hire an outsource team to make a low quality version of Sonic Boom why they can't hire YS.net team to do the same?
http://playeressence.com/sonic-boom-has-a-development-budget-of-20-million-potential-for-mobile-integration/

I lost my faith in segaSAMMY years ago.

But they promise to focus on making quality games.

Things have changed now there is a proven demand for Shenmue with actual money as proof.

But we have learned that Dreams do come true right?

Also you see in the credits SEGA and YS Net. You don't see Sony there.

Sony will just invest in the release of PS4 version, publishing and marketing. I doubt they going to fund the rest of the budget.

Same with Shibuya Productions just in the PC version. I doubt they can fund the rest of the budget they not a huge company that could afford that.

Either Sega helps Shenmue or we going to get an indie quality game.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:56 am

The truth of the matter is we don't even know who the other backers are yet and how much each of them are putting in to the pot, so it's too abrupt to get worried over it.
Yu couldn't make a game on the original $2 million requested on Kickstarter, so it's obvious he had other backers in place once that goal was met.

Sega gave YS Net the license and assets, I'd rather not see them involved in any other way going by their poor decisions over the past decade.

Sega and YS Net are listed in the credits because Sega own the IP and YS Net are developing, whereas Sony are only publishing.

Bottom line, Sega funding isn't even needed if other backers are putting a few million $ in each.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:44 am

SEGA-SAMMY will invest funds for Shenmue 3, but they didn't bother to make a free tweet/post on their social media accounts about its Kickstarter. Hmm...

If there's one thing they will probably invest for, now that Shenmue 3's Kickstarter is a success, that would be Shenmue 1 & 2 HD. They need to pay out that engine license.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby south carmain » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:04 am

lol

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Kenny
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby SMDzero » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:09 am

Knowing Sega, they would release this announcement:

"We are delighted that Shenmue 3 has received so much support on kickstarter. Never did we imagine that the fan base was so passionate about Shenmue."

"Due to this realization, and in keeping with our renewed commitment to regain our fan bases' trust, we are reacquiring the license to Shenmue from YsNet."

"Shenmue 3, independently funded by YsNet will not move forward.. and your kickstarter dollars will be refunded (read: without interest). However, fans around the world can rejoice in the fact that Sega has a renewed commitment to Shenmue 3 and intends to publish the game as an in-house Sega title."

"Of course, Shenmue 3 will be a very expensive game and we at Sega will be best positioned to give you the fans the proper Shenmue 3 experience you deserve once we become a AAA third party developer again."

"Please continue to support Sega so that we can one-day give you the Shenmue 3 game we all want to see.. one that is officially developed by Sega. We know the wait has been long over the past 14 years but please be more patient, even if it takes another 14 years we promise to give the fans the Shenmue 3 game they have been dreaming of."

"Once Sega is restored to it's former glory Shenmue 3 will begin development.. to make this happen buy our Sonic games!"

Respectfully, Sega!
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Kenny » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:29 pm

south carmain wrote: lol

Kenny has received a thanks from: Himuro
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa