Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby Three Blades » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:42 pm

Anybody that "can't suffer through it" is just being pretentious. That is the only fact that is true when discussing the dubs.

Get off of your pathetic pedestal. Stop talking down to anybody that does not prefer and like whatever choices you prefer with regards to what dubbing you play a video game in. It's not that bad. :roll:

It is 100% okay that you like one more than the other, but not okay to attack it like Three Blades just did. I prefer the English dub, and I speak fluent English. An English dub is crucial for me. Get over it.


Oh god, stop being a butthurt little baby every time someone says something you don't agree with. The dub truly is horrendous and yes, it's ok to "attack" it because it sucks, is badly directed, and we have the right to say it. The only fact regarding the dub is that if you can't tell how bad it is, your head must be stuck 5 feet deep into a certain hole.

It doesn't mean that anyone is trying to take it away from you, so stop acting like a crack addict. We know for a fact that the dub is happening, so what's your problem?

Some of us just want a better option because, after playing Shenmue games with quality voice acting, we don't want to go back to one that has the level of an elementary school drama club presentation.

It's ok for you to like the dub, but some of us have standards. Get over it and don't be so butthurt.
Mr.Burns: "Smithers, I think I'll donate a million dollars to the Shenmue 3 kickstarter!..."
Smithers: *stares at Mr.Burns incredulously*
Mr.Burns:...when pigs fly!!!
*they both burst into laughter*
*pig flies past the window*
Smithers: ...will you... be donating a million dollars now, sir?
Mr.Burns;...No, I'd still prefer not to.

Three Blades has received a thanks from: Gen
User avatar
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby amiga1200 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:59 pm

(fuckin LOL!) ^^ but isn't shenmue like CRACK COCAINE?
acquired taste, yet extremely addictive if the taste sits, and our passion for it can drive us :mad: BATSHIT CRAZY :evil: as illustrated on this subject.
...
at OP.
thanks for doing this. :mrgreen:
one warning was absolutely fair, was over zealous on conviction on a response to a subject.
the other one for 'spam' (aka: it was me posting that qualified) which is bogus due to personality clash. why don't who this concerns pull the other guy for destroying my subject, accusing it of SPAM?
oh, i get it now, not one of your cliques, and i watched you stand by and and let him trash it, and you did NOTHING but was complicit in your silence, and totally one sided and agree with it by inactions. (you have the temerity to pull me for spam, and yet, you let your lackey cliquey friends shit on my subjects? double-standards, real fuckin professional dude.)
at least the other staffer explained where i was wrong, and backed it up clearly in writ. :roll:
User avatar
amiga1200
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: July 2015
Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby Himuro » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:41 pm

Thank you for your efforts doing this for our community.

Himuro has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Himuro
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: May 2006

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:10 pm

DEVILLE_David wrote: Thank you so much guys, so many questions, I'll have to work harder than expected hehe.

I am probably going to gather everything until August 15th and will work from there.

Seems like people want to avoid spoilers etc and looking forward japanese voices being added to the game. I will work on this and tell Yu Suzuki that the demand is high and that he should definetly think about it. ;-)


About spoilers, you should inform him about the issue with his Nico Nico Douga video. Thanks of the fans effort (and the lack of interest from the media) , it was possible to avoid his spoiler for many of us. You should ask him whether this part is planned to be revealed in the future promotion anyway or he could still keep it secret two more years again.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
User avatar
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2014
Location: France
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby shredingskin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:47 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Since I listened multiple times Yu saying (even before Shenmue 3 announcement) he found fighting games (including his own) way too hardcore and regretting they focus on reflexes rather "decision", I don't believe completely about a Virtua Fighter game system.


This is a question I have, in all the KS "Blow-out", he seems to be talking about a different way to handle QTEs and scrolls (that lead to us not thinking there was going to be a place for free battle).

My questions would be:

- How do you plan for scrolls to work and how will they work on a QTE ? (if this does not leads to spoilers).

- There was a lot of work put on Shenmue On-line, something of it made a difference in Shenmue III story, development, or gameplay ? (and why it was cancelled after all ?).

- Is the rapport system be a binary one, will be a probabilistic or a person to person relationship one ?

Also, thank you.

And than Yu, for doing this a reality.
User avatar
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: March 2012
Location: Argentina
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby Supa » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:12 am

Three Blades wrote:
Anybody that "can't suffer through it" is just being pretentious. That is the only fact that is true when discussing the dubs.

Get off of your pathetic pedestal. Stop talking down to anybody that does not prefer and like whatever choices you prefer with regards to what dubbing you play a video game in. It's not that bad. :roll:

It is 100% okay that you like one more than the other, but not okay to attack it like Three Blades just did. I prefer the English dub, and I speak fluent English. An English dub is crucial for me. Get over it.


Oh god, stop being a butthurt little baby every time someone says something you don't agree with. The dub truly is horrendous and yes, it's ok to "attack" it because it sucks, is badly directed, and we have the right to say it. The only fact regarding the dub is that if you can't tell how bad it is, your head must be stuck 5 feet deep into a certain hole.

It doesn't mean that anyone is trying to take it away from you, so stop acting like a crack addict. We know for a fact that the dub is happening, so what's your problem?

Some of us just want a better option because, after playing Shenmue games with quality voice acting, we don't want to go back to one that has the level of an elementary school drama club presentation.

It's ok for you to like the dub, but some of us have standards. Get over it and don't be so butthurt.


It is funny that you smugly accuse me of constantly being a butthurt little baby, yet when I disagree and remove you from your pedestal of doctoral linguistics, you reply by being butthurt yourself?

You might need to head back to elementary school and relearn the difference between a "fact" and an "opinion". To help you, head over to Merriam - Webster and check your definitions:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fact
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion

You stated that you don't like (among other things) the English dub. This is what is known as an opinion, since at least one person out of seven million on Earth disagrees with you. Instead of coming off LOL HILARIOUS and super intelligent because you can create such an overwhelming yet compelling argument for your "case", you instead come across as even more of a pompous jerk. I can't wait to see your next scathing reply, objectively looking at the facts and all.

My "problem" is with the smugness of people like you who claim that one is perfect over the other, when even Kiyuu has come on here and said a thing or two about some of the Japanese voices not being the best (I specifically remember either Shenhua's or Nozomi's actress being called out), all the while being blindly praised by truly knowledgeable fans as well as "butthurt Japanophiles", which is the same thing you are accusing me of being with the English dub, except they blindly defend the original voice track because it is the cool thing to do.

Oh, and news flash: nobody is trying to ask Suzuki to take away the Japanese track either, genius. So instead of acting like a crack addict (see what I did there? I used your obviously unfunny analogy), maybe you can get over your trite little temper tantrum about there being an English dub. Your petty tirade is about as unique as posting a "Do you know a place where sailors like to hang out?" meme on 500k.

Lastly, you may have noticed (probably not, so I'll say it YET AGAIN), that I will sleep like a baby when someone prefers a dub over the original track, or vice versa (read the post you quoted). So rather than me requesting that you "get over it", how about you learn to read, as well as play nicely in the sandbox with the other children, or GTFO?
User avatar
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: April 2004
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby Three Blades » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:51 am

And, as usual, we have the pot calling the kettle black! Why am I not surprised?
Enjoy your English dub, (directed by a Japanese man who barely understands English), that sounds like they picked random people off the streets and told them "read this". It's cringe worthy in the worst possible way, and you are deluding yourself if you think that any of the English actors are anywhere near the same level as the originals.
Those of us who actually like Shenmue would like to know whether we'll be getting the chance to enjoy it the way it was meant to sound, without making our ears bleed because everyone sounds so corny, fake and lame.
Mr.Burns: "Smithers, I think I'll donate a million dollars to the Shenmue 3 kickstarter!..."
Smithers: *stares at Mr.Burns incredulously*
Mr.Burns:...when pigs fly!!!
*they both burst into laughter*
*pig flies past the window*
Smithers: ...will you... be donating a million dollars now, sir?
Mr.Burns;...No, I'd still prefer not to.
User avatar
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:56 am

Not trying to get into your guys spat here, but design choices with the old VA (particularly IIx) does concern me a little for the new game. Yes we have our Corey Marshall, but we know with the rapport system and the more 'intimate' setting there's going to be a LOT of back and forth conversation in this game, essentially as a game-play mechanic. The voice acting has gotta be ON POINT, espicially for the main characters. I do hope they take their time with proper localization and direction.

This leads on to what was going to be my submission for this topic: We've heard exciting things about the new "Rapport System" influencing the relationship between Ryo and Shenhua over time. Can you tell us more about how this will be implemented into the game and what we can expect from a game-play perspective? Also, to what extent will this influence the unfolding of the story?

EDIT: I don't think ALL the voice acting was bad in the games. It's human nature to remember the worst of things standing out.
Image

http://www.30onthe3rd.com

NeoShredder has received a thanks from: Supa
User avatar
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: April 2005
Location: England, UK
PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby Supa » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:59 am

I am interested to see where you pull the "as usual" tag line from, as it is not like I go down this route three to four times a day. As well as the pot calling the kettle black.

I will enjoy my English dub, and I have stated numerous times before, I honestly hope anybody that wants the Japanese will honestly will enjoy it as well (even though half of you are only doing it because it is the cool thing to do, NOT because you have any clue whatsoever as to what makes acting in a foreign language objectively "good").

It does have some questionable characters, but II literally has over seven hundred characters. You think they could've afforded absolute top of the line acting for every one of them? That'd be something Bill Gates would be weary of funding for fear he'd be broke.

Three Blades wrote:Those of us who actually like Shenmue would like to know whether we'll be getting the chance to enjoy it the way it was meant to sound, without making our ears bleed because everyone sounds so corny, fake and lame.


Wow, didn't think it would stoop this low. So now I'm not a real Shenmue fan. I get it now! :lol:

NeoShredder wrote: Not trying to get into your guys spat here, but design choices with the old VA (particularly IIx) does concern me a little for the new game. Yes we have our Corey Marshall, but we know with the rapport system and the more 'intimate' setting there's going to be a LOT of back and forth conversation in this game, essentially as a game-play mechanic. The voice acting has gotta be ON POINT, espicially for the main characters. I do hope they take their time with proper localization and direction.

This leads on to what was going to be my submission for this topic: We've heard exciting things about the new "Rapport System" influencing the relationship between Ryo and Shenhua over time. Can you tell us more about how this will be implemented into the game and what we can expect from a game-play perspective? Also, to what extent will this influence the unfolding of the story?

EDIT: I don't think ALL the voice acting was bad in the games. It's human nature to remember the worst of things standing out.


You are correct indeed, Shenmue III all around pretty much has to be rock solid in order to draw in new fans and secure a Shenmue IV.

If they secure the main character voices they had, nothing will be the issue. After that, just get a native speaker (notice how SEGA didn't hire someone who didn't speak the native language to direct the Japanese track, Three Blades?) to handle the English dub for the side characters and extras, and all will be good.
Last edited by Supa on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: April 2004
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby Three Blades » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:01 am

EDIT: I don't think ALL the voice acting was bad in the games. It's human nature to remember the worst of things standing out.


I actually didn't remember it being that bad until last year when I tried replaying the English version of Shenmue 1. I quit after 30 minutes, shook my head and wondered how I was ever able to like it.
Mr.Burns: "Smithers, I think I'll donate a million dollars to the Shenmue 3 kickstarter!..."
Smithers: *stares at Mr.Burns incredulously*
Mr.Burns:...when pigs fly!!!
*they both burst into laughter*
*pig flies past the window*
Smithers: ...will you... be donating a million dollars now, sir?
Mr.Burns;...No, I'd still prefer not to.
User avatar
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby Supa » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:06 am

Can we just send you over to direct the Japanese voice recording for Shenmue III? Since Shenmue fans all are 100% capable of judging quality acting in a foreign language.
User avatar
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: April 2004
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:15 am

Three Blades wrote:
EDIT: I don't think ALL the voice acting was bad in the games. It's human nature to remember the worst of things standing out.


I actually didn't remember it being that bad until last year when I tried replaying the English version of Shenmue 1. I quit after 30 minutes, shook my head and wondered how I was ever able to like it.


It's a mixed bag that's for sure. For some reason both the games seem to throw the worst voice acting in there like 5 minutes in (those kids down in Sakuragaoka and the "gossip gaggle", the arm wrestling and the photographers in IIx) and yet Lan Di, Chai, Iwao, Guizhang, Nozomi etc are stellar in my opinion. Chai could have been reaaal easy to get wrong. Tom and Ryo, among others, are a mixed bag.

Also the sound compression for the DC that they had to do doesn't help. It always irked me how compressed the audio for Megumi's otherwise acceptable VA is.

In my "excuses" interpretation of the issue, for a game that pioneered (at least one of the first) universal voice acting for NPCs in the game world with multiple things to say, I'm sure it was a technological and planning nightmare at the time. Alot of this bad VO is largely with Ryo's interactions with nonplayable characters. I think Mass Effect was probably the first game to get this right (I'm probably ignorant of that point though). I'm 90% confident in saying that technology and resources were the issue more or less (we know that IIx was incredibly rushed, for example).Today's resources should allow for better coordination, planning and recording (perhaps Shibuya are responsible for this).
Image

http://www.30onthe3rd.com
User avatar
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: April 2005
Location: England, UK
PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby Three Blades » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:16 am

I will enjoy my English dub, and I have stated numerous times before, I honestly hope anybody that wants the Japanese will honestly will enjoy it as well

Cool, same here but in reverse. See? You didn't have to get all butthurt.

even though half of you are only doing it because it is the cool thing to do, NOT because you have any clue whatsoever as to what makes acting in a foreign language objectively "good"

It's better because they hired professional actors and it shows. And, in the case of Shenmue1, it makes the game much more believable and authentic.


It does have some questionable characters, but II literally has over seven hundred characters. You think they could've afforded absolute top of the line acting for every one of them?


Decent actors for Ryo and Shenhua would have been a start. Was Corey high on sleeping medicine? Was Ren's actor castrated?

Can we just send you over to direct the Japanese voice recording for Shenmue III? Since Shenmue fans all are 100% capable of judging quality acting in a foreign language.

The whole "you can't judge the language quality because it's not your mother tongue" is really laughable and pathetic. Especially when you say it in a smartass, sarcastic kinda way despite being so hilariously wrong.

I'd love to attend the recording, though. You wouldn't have to send me very far, either, since I live 20 minutes from Shibuya, which is where I understand that Shenmue 3 is being made.

After that, just get a native speaker (notice how SEGA didn't hire someone who didn't speak the native language to direct the Japanese track, Three Blades?)

I know, right! It's too bad they couldn't have figured out that it should have been the same way in English! No wonder the dubs sucked!

I also loved how ironic it was that you attempted to school me on opinions, when your first tantrum address to me contained gems like "anyone who can't bear the dub is just being pretentious." Hypocrite.
Last edited by Three Blades on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Burns: "Smithers, I think I'll donate a million dollars to the Shenmue 3 kickstarter!..."
Smithers: *stares at Mr.Burns incredulously*
Mr.Burns:...when pigs fly!!!
*they both burst into laughter*
*pig flies past the window*
Smithers: ...will you... be donating a million dollars now, sir?
Mr.Burns;...No, I'd still prefer not to.
User avatar
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby johnvivant » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:09 am

maybe someone can start a new topic for a discussion about the pros and cons of the voice acting, there is no point cluttering up David's Yu Suzuki questions thread with it. and just for the record i enjoy the english dub very much - especially Corey Marshal's performance - but i would still like the option of being able to mix the dub and subtitles for a different experience as well my japanese language practice.

So david make it clear to Yu that there are fans of both dubs, but many fans would like the option to mix and match subtitles and dub - even to extent of allowing english dub and japanese subs, ala US Shenmue.

If this is possible and not too difficult to implement then fans would like this option.

johnvivant has received 2 thanks from: Supa, Yokosuka
User avatar
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: November 2008

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby rome » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:46 am

DEVILLE_David wrote:Last year, I had the chance to meet Yu Suzuki and interviewed him regarding Shenmue and Shenmue III. Best thing coming out of this was to share with you all the latest informations I could get.

In case anyone wanted to check out David's interview(again, or for the first time) from last year it's on the main page.

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/interview1114.html

DEVILLE_David wrote: So here we go :

What kind of questions would you like me to ask ?

What are you looking forward ?


Share anything that you're thinking about even if that's not a question, I'll try to turn it into one.

You can either answer directly through comments or you can send your questions to : [email protected]
I cannot provide details about the day of the interview and when it will be published on Shenmue 500k, Shenmue Dojo and Shenmue Master, but whenever I am allowed to do so, you'll be the first to know.
Image


Thank you very much. Your last interview Yu brought up NPC's and talked about their daily routines.

One question to Yu would be about the NPC's, how many does he want to include in Shenmue 3, and will we be able ask them about multiple things as we could in S2. Basically how detailed will conversation with NPC's be.
Image

rome has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
User avatar
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: February 2004
Location: Phoenix
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net