Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby Dragon St. » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:15 am

kuwakodono wrote:

(New questions)
- Has he met Shigeru Miyamoto? What is his opinion of Miyamoto's games?

Suzuki talks about Miyamoto in this interview:

http://www.1up.com/features/disappearan ... r.offset=1
Dragon St.
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby johnvivant » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:38 pm

I have thought of yet more questions :D :

-Do you plan to release any game-play footage of the ‘The Old Man and The Peach Tree’ prototype? Its an important and fascinating part of Shenmue history and fans are curious to see what it looked like.

-Do you plan to release any more of the CG video sequences from Project Berkeley or any more in-game footage of the Saturn version of Shenmue. Again I emphasize that there is a huge interest and curiosity among fans to see versions of Shenmue in its earliest forms.

-Unfortunately a high quality video of the ‘Shenmue Premier’ event has never been released. Would it be possible to make this available to the fans at some point?

-You have said in the past that many of your ideas come to you through dreams. You have a notebook by your bed to record those ideas. Can you recount any of the ideas specifically relating to Shenmue that came to you through a dream?
-Did the idea for a magical ‘Spirit tree’ come to you through a dream?

-Some fans have speculated that in the creation of Shenmue you were influenced by Chinese Wuxia stories and the art and literary genre called ‘Magic Realism’. Are these accurate observations? Can you speak about your influences in the creation of the Shenmue story?

-Do you plan to create new version of ‘Shenmue Passport’ for Shenmue 3? Will this include online features like leader boards, detailed game-play stats, online capsule toy trading, gameplay guide, detailed character profiles ect.

-Will it be possible to have an online Player vs Player (PvP) competitive mode for the mini and betting games like lucky hit?

- Will winning cans be returning? And will it be possible to trade them in at a store rather than having the capsule toy appear out of thin air like it does in Shenmue 2?

-Do you plan to create a ‘Making of Shenmue 3’ featurette to be included with Shenmue 3 or available elsewhere?

- In Shenmue 3 will the NPCs in the villages have their own daily schedules of behaviour with a similar - if not greater - level of complexity as Shenmue 1?

-In Shenmue 3 will all NPCs be fully voiced?
Last edited by johnvivant on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

johnvivant has received 2 thanks from: Amir, DEVILLE_David
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:45 pm

Will there be a rapport/relationship system with Ren as well as Shenhua?

shenmue852 has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sh3ppy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:32 pm

Supa wrote: I honestly hope anybody that wants the Japanese will honestly will enjoy it as well (even though half of you are only doing it because it is the cool thing to do.

I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous statement. I think you are doing other Shenmue fans a disservice with blanket statements like this. I'm sure most of us are old enough nowadays to be making our own decisions without worrying about what 'the cool thing to do' is. We're not 13 anymore. It just comes across a bit bitter & ultimately detracts from your point.

Apologies to David & everyone else for derailing the thread. I just felt it had to be said, but it's the last time I post regarding this. David, I've emailed you but again I can't thank you enough for giving us the opportunity to live vicariously through you. :D
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby shredingskin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:00 pm

This is not a question for Yu, but just something I found out recently.

Did you know that the chinese black tortoise is called Zhi Ming ?? The comic with Ziming and Niao Sun and his clothes looks like one of the blacked out characters, but still YS said that he was not one of them. Why the hermetism with Ziming ? We knew about Niao Sun a lot before her appearing.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Supa » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:31 pm

I too apologize for my part in the derailment, and will take my gripes to PM. Huge congratulations to David again, and thank you so much for doing this!

Supa has received a thanks from: Sh3ppy
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby strider16 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Yu already answered these mine two questions in other interviews, so them can be skipped - unless they can inspire other questions related or Yu changed his mind about them:

It was known that Harada from Namco had approached Sega for a eventual crossover VFxTekken, and since it isn't was successful, they partnered to Capcom. As a fighter gamer, that was a bummer... What Yu think about it?

When kickstarter was announced, I really wished that it would end the saga, and I was surprised to know that Yu is really very ambitious, and will not end this saga in this game, for storytelling sake. I know that this is the real deal, that is what I want for a Shenmue game, but... what is the maximum predicted game, if the game is a success, or a huge success, or a game of the century? S4? S5?

Other questions:

What Yu think about mobile gaming, social gaming, VR gaming (the VR part was already asked by others in this thread)? What about new ways of interacting with games in general?

Is there some game which Yu wishes he had developed/created instead?

Considering how much the gaming market had changed - or not - , do Yu think about creating other epic project? Or maybe "disrupting" would be the word...

I will think in more few questions for later. Thanks, to everybody this time 8)
strider16
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Portal Stories: Mel

Postby DEVILLE_David » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:47 pm

No worries guys. I can understand that some people want to have the choice between english/japanese voices etc. I am not going to ask for something specific but telling him that there's a demand and adding an option to allow us to choose would be great.

I am receiving all your mails so even if I don't reply, don't worry. Right now I am busy with my travel schedule etc, but I will read all your questions one by one, I promise.

I can't thank you enough for your support.

I'll get back to you as soon as possible !

Have a nice day.

DEVILLE_David has received 6 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, Amir, johnvivant, joka, shenmue852, Supa
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby shenmue852 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:30 pm

DEVILLE_David wrote: No worries guys. I can understand that some people want to have the choice between english/japanese voices etc. I am not going to ask for something specific but telling him that there's a demand and adding an option to allow us to choose would be great.

I am receiving all your mails so even if I don't reply, don't worry. Right now I am busy with my travel schedule etc, but I will read all your questions one by one, I promise.

I can't thank you enough for your support.

I'll get back to you as soon as possible !

Have a nice day.

Thanks David. I hope we can frame the issue in a way where it's not a conflict of dub vs sub fans since they could just sell a download for an audio or subtitle track or something, but what's important is that there's a way to get it with JPN audio and English text when it's released, even if it costs a little extra we're willing to pay! Although of course if there's a way to avoid paying extra, we trust in his goodwill :-o

I was really hoping that if technical or logistical limitations prevent shipping 2 language audio tracks, you could mention the idea of selling a separate voice track as DLC, or (effectively) allowing people to purchase the Japanese release with English text files?

I think everyone would be willing to pay extra instead of making unreasonable demands or having arguments over it. It seems like it's an easily solved issue that people care a lot about. In other words, there isn't necessarily a conflict over which version is released by default if they allow people to pay extra for something that's already produced, in which case not only do all Shenmue fans win, but they can potentially make some extra revenue on the game, which we as fans would be happy about as well.

One of the main reasons I don't argue against a dub is because a dub might expose people who are unwilling to read subtitles to the game- and that's a great thing. However, I myself simply cannot enjoy the dub.

shenmue852 has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:01 pm

- Were there plans for more meaningful choices in Shenmue I and II? One can guess that the conversation choices in Guilin with Shenhua in Shenmue II were an early version of the Rapport System and were meant to lead to different outcomes in Shenmue III (and there is also the oft-overlooked Fangmei sidequest), but I was wondering if there were any other areas you wanted to implement choices that had to be cut for time/budget/disc space reasons.

- Was there/is there a plan for multiple endings to the saga (be it in Shenmue IV or V), besides the taking-too-long style Bad Ending as seen in the first two games? You mentioned the main story being 11 chapters but there being more with branching chapters, is that what these branching chapters would be?

This is the Q&A I'm referring to:

Q. Were there originally 16 chapters in the Shenmue saga or were there 11? please elaborate as to why some say 16 and some say 11.

A. It is 11 chapters, but with branched story line, it will be more than 11.

Amir has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby johnvivant » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:14 am

-In Shenmue 3 and beyond, will the player's choices have a larger impact on the outcome of the overall story?
-Why did you call the fictional tree 'Sedge' 莎, when the tree in no ways resembles the Sedge plant in either its foliage or flower?

johnvivant has received 2 thanks from: DEVILLE_David, Yokosuka
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby johnvivant » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:12 pm

- There is a old screen-shot of a scene where Ryo is giving Xiaoqin (the little girl from 'Sunny Capital Pharmacy' in Shenmue 2) a ride on the back of a bicycle. Can you explain what was happening in this scene and why it never appeared in the final game?

- In South Carmain Qr. of Shenmue 2 there is a mysterious dead end alley just to the right of Sunny Capital Pharmacy. This alley has always intrigued fans. Some have speculated that this might have been the location for the removed 'Man Mo Travel Company' or a through road to a completely new location. There is also some evidence that Sunny Capital Pharmacy was originally located there. Can you provide any information about this alley?

-Are you aware of any secrets or easter eggs in the original games that still have not been discovered by fans?

- Can you give us any information about the village of martial artists that was completely removed from Shenmue 2? Was this a village in Guilin?

johnvivant has received 4 thanks from: Amir, DEVILLE_David, shenmue852, Yokosuka
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DEVILLE_David » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:33 am

Hello guys,

Thanks again for providing so many questions. I've been working on it and It's going well so far. I will keep adding different questions as much as I can and try to give it all my best to make sure you'll be satisfied.

Some questions, even asked differently tend to have the same meaning so I have to cut some parts here and there to make sure It doesn't sounds too repetitive. But combining your questions with mine should result in an interesting interview.

More news asap.

Best regards,

David
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby johnvivant » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:58 pm

- Can we expect the new Shenmue merchandise before and after the launch of Shenmue 3? I hope the success of the Kickstarter rewards in enough to show the community's desire for more Shenmue related merchandise.

- Are you planning to secure product licensing from Coca-cola and Timex again? Many fans really appreciate these brands association with Shenmue.

Light-hearted question; 8)
- During and after the Kickstarter campaign many fans have noticed that in the majority of videos and photos in which you appear, you are wearing a white and navy-blue striped t-shirt. Fans have jokingly suggested that this is your lucky ‘Shenmue sailors’ t-shirt. Other suggestions include various speculations regarding your possible wash day schedules, or your preference for buying identical shirts in bulk. Do you care to comment? The Shenmue community awaits with bated breath! :D

(@David - i just thought it would be funny for Suzuki (and us) to hear that fans were talking about his t-shirt. if it sounds too rude or inappropriate then don't bother with it. most of the questions are serious so i thought a light-hearted one would add more variety)

johnvivant has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby kuwakodono » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:30 pm

I thought of a comment/question that I'm not sure has been addressed in the past. Chinese is like Japanese in that people are usually addressed by their family names unless they are exceptionally close, family, or much younger. Heck, Ryo and Nozomi only call each other by their family names in Japanese in Shenmue I. Thus, I found it a little bit jarring in Shenmue II where Ryo would call folks like Xiuying, Jianming, Guixiang, and even Delin by their first (given) names. Not sure if there was a reason for this that Suzuki-san can comment on.

kuwakodono has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
kuwakodono
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III