Shenmue – 2000 Developer Interview (Shmuplations)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue – 2000 Developer Interview (Shmuplations)

Postby Ziming » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Shenmue – 2000 Developer Interview: With Yu Suzuki, Manabu Takimoto, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi and more

http://shmuplations.com/shenmue/

Ziming has received 8 thanks from: Amir, Dragon St., johnvivant, Mr357, Sh3ppy, strider16, Supa, Yokosuka
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: Shenmue – 2000 Developer Interview (Shmuplations)

Postby Giorgio » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:47 pm

It feels like they are excavating ancient artifacts from an advanced prehistoric lost civilization.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby johnvivant » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:48 pm

:shock: amazing find.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Supa » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:49 pm

We found out more about Shenmue in this interview than we did in the two newest Shenmue III interviews...

Supa has received 2 thanks from: Amir, johnvivant
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby johnvivant » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:09 pm

it answers my question about the title and the tree not resembling the sedge. they liked the 'euphony' of it which is what i'd guessed it might be.

i'm intrigued about 'the Mysterious Wind' - but again i think its more about their liking for the euphony rather than the literal meaning.

the boat name easter egg is amazing. yu suzuki or one of the other developers should right a whole book about making this game, it would be amazing.

most interesting info about the original game in AGES!
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Amir » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:14 pm

Man, that GSLA archive sounds amazing, who knows what other Shenmue treasures are buried there?!
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby BlueMue » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Wow this totaly came out of nowhere. I can't believe all the previously unearthed info this thing holds.
The thing about the name particularly struck me. How was this not brought up anywhere else, especially at the GDC last year.

I really loved the bit about the cat, how the kitten is based of one that was actually called Sasuke.
Now it makes sense why the name is there and it makes the whole thing even funnier!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Shenmue 2 will be the next evolutionary step for the Shenmue series; I think of the first game like an egg, in that sense. The egg of a new genre. I want to take this new direction and go further for Shenmue 2. I also want you to be able to carry your data over from the first game. The things you do in Shenmue, therefore, will affect the events in Shenmue 2. Of course you’ll be able to start from the sequel too. If you’re someone who has played this first chapter, though, the sequel will deepen your experience. That’s our plan.

What "events" he thought when talking about Shenmue 1 & 2 connections ?

For Shenmue, we actually created detailed backstories for all the characters and locations. With the Shenmue Passport players can learn about the details and connections that we couldn’t show in the game. There’s a lot of hidden relationships, for example.

So how did they intend to put all these backstories in the original game if they had more time ? What could that mean for Shenmue 3 new ambitions ?

A lot of new things and a lot of new questions.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby johnvivant » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:47 pm

i assume that when he gave this interview shenmue 2 was still in production. maybe these 'events' that would be triggered by the players actions from the first game got cut.

some things like Iwaos relationship with the woman standing outside Bar Yokosuka obviously couldn't be shown in-game since iwao was dead. also you never hear npc's talking to each other, so you would only know about their relationship from what they told you directly. also - as they said - they had a very limited amount of memory available, so more dialogue could not be accommodated.

this time shenmue 3 is not so much limited by memory but perhaps by the budget. i hope detailed npc back stories/relationships return for 3.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Centrale » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:04 pm

It's interesting that they mention they had to hire an outside firm to come up with a lot of the sound effects. I wonder if that is a factor that has delayed the rumored HD re-releases?
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:09 pm

Centrale wrote: It's interesting that they mention they had to hire an outside firm to come up with a lot of the sound effects. I wonder if that is a factor that has delayed the rumored HD re-releases?

I thought the same, it sounded like a possible remake of Jet Set Radio copyright issues.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Switch » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:13 pm

Amir wrote: Man, that GSLA archive sounds amazing, who knows what other Shenmue treasures are buried there?!

Good news, there's also a 2001 interview about Shenmue II on the site. I've put it on my translation hit list. ;-)
http://chibarei.blog.jp/gsl/words/shenmu2/shenmu2.html

Switch has received 4 thanks from: Amir, Giorgio, johnvivant, Yokosuka
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Giorgio » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:21 am

johnvivant wrote: [...] yu suzuki or one of the other developers should right a whole book about making this game, it would be amazing. [...]

That would be another dream come true. But that book should be multipage and include every detail about Shenmue's development etc.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby kuwakodono » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:17 pm

But to the extent that there is a melody, after listening to it for 3 or 4 hours, it will start to wear on your mind and annoy you… as such, my closest image for the music of Shenmue was buddhist sutras. There’s something mysterious about them, and I asked Mitsuyoshi to try and match that image.

Wow, that's pretty illuminating. I don't know much about music theory, but would have loved to hear more about how the composers created the music with this directive in mind. On the surface, the music doesn't sound much like sutra chanting, but the concepts of nostalgia, mystery, and serenity do come through.

Examples of sutra chants:

phpBB [video]

Not traditional, but one of my favorites:

phpBB [video]

kuwakodono has received a thanks from: Giorgio
kuwakodono
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby shenmue852 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Shenmue 2 will be the next evolutionary step for the Shenmue series; I think of the first game like an egg, in that sense. The egg of a new genre. I want to take this new direction and go further for Shenmue 2. I also want you to be able to carry your data over from the first game. The things you do in Shenmue, therefore, will affect the events in Shenmue 2. Of course you’ll be able to start from the sequel too. If you’re someone who has played this first chapter, though, the sequel will deepen your experience. That’s our plan.

What "events" he thought when talking about Shenmue 1 & 2 connections ?

For Shenmue, we actually created detailed backstories for all the characters and locations. With the Shenmue Passport players can learn about the details and connections that we couldn’t show in the game. There’s a lot of hidden relationships, for example.

So how did they intend to put all these backstories in the original game if they had more time ? What could that mean for Shenmue 3 new ambitions ?

A lot of new things and a lot of new questions.

i have a feeling they just made all the backstories first, then decided on which of them they'd portray in the game (i.e Eileen and Fangmei's friendship)

I kind of get the feeling Shenmue II was *slightly* rushed, in that it seems like they were planning to put in more optional content in Wan Chai and Kowloon and decided not to.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III