-

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Why bother with monogamous relationships at all?

Postby mrslig100 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:57 pm

If I didn't know any better I’d say your in the same boat as me Danny xD
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:13 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: Having a car has disadvantages, as does having a job, having a building loan contract or shaving wet.

Tangent! What disadvantages are there to a wet shave? They're awesome!

Topic!

I'm kind of thinking along the freedom lines as well, possibly not quite as intensely as some of you lot, though I have deffo always been in the "don't want kids" camp.
Basically though, whatever you wanna do with your life, do it. As long as you're not being "bad" or putting others at risk, you only live once so you all owe it to yourselves to do things YOUR way as much as possible. Your way has bugger all to do with others most of the time, so if someone is nosing into your life and telling you that you're doing it all wrong, tell them to go away. Only YOU (or if you trust them and you go together well enough, you and your partner) get to decide.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby amiga1200 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:15 pm

:-k
it's strange, but the more i look at humanity (from an outside perspective as usual) and the current numbers, the fact it's a subject discussed globally in recent years, AND the results/factions?
natural selection...so far is my conclusion. :P
humans adapt well, and when they're not killing and stealing from each other, VERY capable and competent.
the numbers out run any darwin awards, and what soniku said at the end is a good cherry to that cake.
phpBB [video]
Code: Select all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk
again, taking the evidence so far, perhaps this is natures balance?
some taking themselves out the 'game' and living life purely for themselves. (and friends if they have them.) 8)
china-brain? (is the hive-mind real? i wonder?) :-k
[edit]
SHIT!
it's on another subject what soniku said about intelligence and it's prices for some.
sorry, my bad. :oops: :P
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Kenny » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:41 pm

I don't believe in monogamy at this point in my life.

Also also, you have to be a very stupid person to lose that much control of your life without understanding marital laws.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

-

Postby danny » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:47 pm

-
Last edited by danny on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Shibiryo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:53 pm

Online Dating is the main cause of unstable or short-term relationships ending bad, sure it has it's great advantages. I think it's plain sinnery to use prostitutes just for sex and do it purely for money or what not. Do it the right way, or don't do it at all. Losing your virginity is not what marriage is all about, its about taking yourself further and to share a valued life with someone. Marriage can definitely have health benefits but damn, money must be spread around like ketchup.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

-

Postby danny » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:59 pm

-
Last edited by danny on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby Shibiryo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:03 pm

danny wrote:BTW, where do you get that from: "Online Dating is the main cause of unstable or short-term relationships..."?

I get it from what I see. My friends have resorted to this and it never ends up well for them and they end up in regret. Sure, it may not be true but I don't support it.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Celebrating five years of marriage with my wife today I have to say: marriage is one of the best things that's happened to me. And sure the government has its say in what happens in marriage, but I see it as me binding myself to my wife for all eternity. I love her with all my heart. Do we have arguments? Yes. Do we agree on everything? No. Go talk to someone who is 90 and celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and ask them do they regret getting married.

It seems like so many people discount getting married because they don't see that in their future and it's better to criticize it rather than to face their own self doubt and realize it's just not the right time.

And don't get me started on kids. My daughter hung the moon and stars. I would do anything for her. Why? Because I'm her daddy and her daddy loves her. You say having kids doesn't make sense. Of course not from a financial standpoint. But if that's your basis for everything in life, have a good life! That is the most selfish way of thinking. And I'm all about saving money. But having children shouldn't be a question answered solely on finances.

And if you're a teenager I don't want to hear your opinion about marriage and children. Grow up and I'll listen then.

elfshadowreaper has received 2 thanks from: Hyo Razuki, St. Elmo's Fire
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Thief » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:25 pm

Why does everyone care about practical reasons, doesn't anybody do anything anymore just because they want to?

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

-

Postby danny » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:57 pm

-
Last edited by danny on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby amiga1200 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:10 am

elfshadowreaper wrote: Celebrating five years of marriage with my wife today I have to say: marriage is one of the best things that's happened to me. And sure the government has its say in what happens in marriage, but I see it as me binding myself to my wife for all eternity. I love her with all my heart. Do we have arguments? Yes. Do we agree on everything? No. Go talk to someone who is 90 and celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and ask them do they regret getting married.

It seems like so many people discount getting married because they don't see that in their future and it's better to criticize it rather than to face their own self doubt and realize it's just not the right time.

And don't get me started on kids. My daughter hung the moon and stars. I would do anything for her. Why? Because I'm her daddy and her daddy loves her. You say having kids doesn't make sense. Of course not from a financial standpoint. But if that's your basis for everything in life, have a good life! That is the most selfish way of thinking. And I'm all about saving money. But having children shouldn't be a question answered solely on finances.

And if you're a teenager I don't want to hear your opinion about marriage and children. Grow up and I'll listen then.
1, yeah, i know a few, and it's not pretty by their own accounts.
2, it's likely i was overzealous on my critique toward the masses.
seems to me, a new way of thinking, understanding, and coping.
3, oh, don't worry. never going down that road...EVER!
4, 'high/moral' society at it's finest. at least this is just text. (irl isn't as fortunate, we play the hand dealt the best we can.)
maybe the reasons are responsibility?
there's no motivation, good enough reason.
i can guess, but it's irrelevant.
hell, why would any sane person willfully throw in with those odds? (folks go on about how good it is for them, but the rest of the world take a different view. if present day pop/mainstream culture is any indication. parents are a joke, a figure of ridicule, and the butt-end of jokes...and worse. oh well?! we made out beds, now lay in them.)
the results can't be argued with.
all the best to the future with family, but it's yours, and yours alone. :cry:
(and for the desire: some have no desire to waste time unless for practical reasons/results...a certain payoff for the efforts expended.) :???:
[edit]
i'm almost forty, and not young enough.
not sharing what little time i have left on something i have NO reason, or will to do. :P
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

-

Postby danny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:54 am

-
Last edited by danny on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby amiga1200 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:19 am

:mrgreen:
dunno bout you, but i plan to live a LONG (undetermined) amount of time, perhaps a few infinities?! (or to 80's/90's? the same.) :lol:
all those in small enclaves, good luck, and all the best! 8)
please lead by example, if the next in line is to take any notice, and BETTER the previous. :mrgreen:
[edit]
there can be only one! :king:
phpBB [video]
Code: Select all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcLjcSloXs
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:59 am

I'm not against marriage but I doubt I will ever get married as I just don't see the point. I'm not a religious person and hate big occasions focusing on myself so if I ever settle down with someone we'd just be partners. At this point in my life though I'm just having fun. I've always found it weird when people are desperately looking for a relationship and want a girlfriend or boyfriend. Most of the ones that actually materialise just come out of nowhere. I'm on Tinder but only about 5% of people actually go on there for something serious.

As for kids fuck that noise. I'm far to selfish and would rather watch Die Hard for the 20th time on a Sunday then the same episode of Peppa Pig 3 times in a row. I've got 4 siblings, 2 of which have already had kids so I can be the fun uncle and not have to put up with the shit like waking up 3 times in a night. I see the parents in restaurants having to tell kids to shut up 3 times a minute and dealing with temper tantrums in a supermarket and don't want to go through that. Parents can tell me that it's the best decision ever but they didn't get to get up whenever they wanted this morning and I did.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic