Camera

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Camera

Postby SMDzero » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:34 pm

Should the camera in Shenmue 3 have Ryo smack-ass in the middle of the screen like he was in S1 and SII or should his model be off to the side like in RE4?

If Ryo is off to the side then we get a better view of what's in front of him.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Re: Camera

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:00 am

Shenmue 1&2's camera, but adopted to a Dual Analog control scheme.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:11 am

I agree
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby LucBu » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:04 am

If that trailer is anything to go by we'll be getting butt cam.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby fittersau » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:41 am

All these little things will tweak the Shenmue experience, I think for the better. It may make the game more generically modern if the camera is above shoulder height.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shibiryo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:54 am

LucBu wrote: If that trailer is anything to go by we'll be getting butt cam.

That I believe was unintentional.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby shenmue852 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:02 am

I think something like the closest 3rd person view in GTA would be perfect.

I think this topic is related to the issue of camera control as part of movement controls. Nobody wants tank controls this time around, but we still want the game's camera to feel like it emphasizes the detail of the environments as Ryo walks past each object, as opposed to constant 360 degree angles just because you can. I hope they can enable perspective control and directional movement with the right stick but without making it feel like playing Assassin's Creed.

I hope they don't make the camera too loose, i.e encourage players to constantly swing it around and above.

Speaking of cameras, I think they should make an in game photography feature.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:04 am

By instinct and fanboyism, I would say "Keep the same !!". But on the other hand, using the old-fashioned camera could be a lazy trap. Not because a question of field of vision but realism.

When Shenmue released on Dreamcast, we never experimented a camera closer than Ryo's in video games and that was exactly one of the many reasons of why Shenmue felt so immersive. Because it gave somehow consistency to the surrounding elements and Ryo himself. When you play GTA/Sleeping Dogs, you don't have this close relationship with your environment... until you enter an interior place and the camera moves closer to your character like RE4, because the game designers are aware of the trick.

Now that plenty of modern games use an even closer camera, Shenmue could be overtaken in that sense of realism race and look clunky to all of us if Yu opts for nostalgia to please the fans.
But again, assuming none of these games have the slow pace of Shenmue, an action TPS field of view could be pointless. I want to admire easily the scenery around me and identify the surrounding NPC without issues, is this camera really relevant for ? Not viewing directly the person in front of you has never really been a big issue in Shenmue as the game uses cinematographic point of view during conversations.

I really want the classic camera but they are professional. Whatever the team's choice, I would respect it and be happy.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: amiga1200
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Shibiryo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:15 am

Simply put: Give multiple options for player preference.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby SMDzero » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:18 am

LucBu wrote: If that trailer is anything to go by we'll be getting butt cam.

The only time I was cognizant of being forced to watch Ryo's caboose was during the lifting crates job in the DC subtitled SII. talk about being traumatized.... :sad:

I think it's a good idea to have limited and less elaborate control over the camera like in Re4... we should have the camera spinning around constantly.

Maybe the camera system/ control should be like The Last of Us?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:47 am

There's nothing wrong with the camera, look at the Dark Souls games, they have the same camera. I hate that so many modern games copy the RE4/Gears of War camera. It just doesn't work for adventure games. Shooters, sure. They should just stick to the same camera as classic Shenmue, there was nothing wrong with it, maybe zoom it out a little more so that we have better sense of the environment. That's it.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Return to Shenmue III