Historical references of chawan sign

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Historical references of chawan sign

Postby BlueMue » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:03 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:Putting 4 cups of tea in front of you in a tea shop doesn't just look stupid it also draws attention.

Well, it really does in the game. With all the instances where you can do the sign in the wrong places it always draws in trouble with some random goons. So it is reflected in a way at least. :lol:
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:22 pm

I love the battle in Lucky Charm Quarter. :D One of my favorite Shenmue moments.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:05 pm

About that Kenji manga: in Volume 11, Chapter 5, the protagonist enters the Kowloon city.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby johnvivant » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Giorgio wrote: About that Kenji manga: in Volume 11, Chapter 5, the protagonist enters the Kowloon city.

huh, no way.. i might have to go and read all these now. it seems beyond doubt that this was a strong influence on the shenmue story.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:14 pm

johnvivant wrote: huh, no way.. i might have to go and read all these now. it seems beyond doubt that this was a strong influence on the shenmue story.

The more I read Kenji, the more I realize that the Shenmue series' plot bears many similarities with and is heavily influenced by it; (not on a 1:1 ratio, of course).

Update:
In Kenji, there are also secret question and answer codes called "Black Words", somewhat similar in fashion to the "Heaven, Earth, Dragon, Comrade" password as found in the Shenmue series. You can find this in the manga, at Vol 12, Ch 2, p. 27-30. See the pictures below for an easy reference:
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Youzhi » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:14 am

In fact, there is more historical references of chawan sign except Kenji. But them were almost all written in Chinese or Japanese.

The oldest one is 清稗类钞(Qingbai leichao/Qing Petty Matters Anthology), an unofficial history of the Qing Dynasty by Xu Ke. In Qingbai leichao, you can find chawan sign and Black words in the chapter of 会党 Huidang.
Chawan sign and black words were traditions of the Chinese secret society, like 哥老会 Gelaohui and 洪门 Hongmen.

Chawan sign and black words were also mentioned in 洪门志 Hongmen Annals and 中国秘密社会史 The history of Chinese secret society.

Youzhi has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Himuro
Youzhi
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: shenmue II

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:13 am

There is a japanese manga store next to me here in new york city. I will go and look for Kenji there :)
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Previous

Return to Shenmue II