Favourite area in Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Favourite area in Shenmue? (Total votes: 26)

Yamanose
8%
Sakuragaoka
8%
Dobuita
62%
Amihama
23%

Favourite area in Shenmue?

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:37 pm

Of the four main areas in Shenmue (not counting the Hazuki Residence, which can sort of be considered an area but is actually more of a base/hub), which one is your favourite and why?

My personal favourite is Dobuita. While I love the serenity, sleepiness, and stillness of Sakuragaoka, the almost village-like community feel of Dobuita really, really appeals to me. Everyone knows and relates with one another; the layout is excellent in terms of design and aesthetic; and there's just a real feel of togetherness and genuineness that makes it all the more realistic and comforting/cozy, especially when it's all snowy and wintry. Man, I fucking love those :heart:

So, which one is yours? :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Favourite area in Shenmue?

Postby Mr357 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:00 pm

I like the harbor. Everyone has their own job, their own daily routine, and it can be pretty relaxing for me to just drive the forklift around delivering crates (assuming the NPC's don't cause collisions). Also, industrial areas are perfect for fight scenes; I'm not sure why.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:18 pm

Amihama. I just loved walking around the habor district at night when it was cold, wet and rainy then popping into the Tomato Convenience for a coffee and a game of darts.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Cyberman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:46 pm

The harbor.
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SMDzero » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:50 am

Da Hah-bah!

SMDzero has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Chaikilla » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:37 am

Dobuita.

I like chatting with Eri, visiting the arcade and Yokosuka bar. Nagai industries is another cool place to visit for some obscure dialogue.

The harbor pushes Dobuita really close, though. I like the conversations Ryo has with that crazy hoe in the Tomato convenience store, the cafeteria lady, Ryo's work colleagues and Goro. The harbor becomes particularly interesting around the time just before Nozomi gets kidnapped and all of Ryo's colleagues are talking about feeling like they're being watched. Creepy, but a nice touch nonetheless. The harbor's home to some great fights too.

Edit: Actually, now that I think of it, I'm starting to realize that the harbor is my favorite.
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Mr357 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:56 pm

Chaikilla wrote:The harbor becomes particularly interesting around the time just before Nozomi gets kidnapped and all of Ryo's colleagues are talking about feeling like they're being watched. Creepy, but a nice touch nonetheless.

If you call Nozomi on the days leading up to her kidnapping, she'll say the same thing, and the day of, no one picks up if you call. That's how I knew beforehand that it was going to happen.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amir » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:48 pm

Mr357 wrote:
Chaikilla wrote:The harbor becomes particularly interesting around the time just before Nozomi gets kidnapped and all of Ryo's colleagues are talking about feeling like they're being watched. Creepy, but a nice touch nonetheless.

If you call Nozomi on the days leading up to her kidnapping, she'll say the same thing, and the day of, no one picks up if you call. That's how I knew beforehand that it was going to happen.

I managed to get through on the day she got kidnapped (i.e. it rang but no one picked up), but when is she home the other times? I tried calling as late as possible but she was still out, do you have to call her on your lunch break?
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Zoltor » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Amir wrote:
Mr357 wrote:

I managed to get through on the day she got kidnapped (i.e. it rang but no one picked up), but when is she home the other times? I tried calling as late as possible but she was still out, do you have to call her on your lunch break?

You have to call her before the actual day she gets kidnapped.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mr357 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:56 pm

Zoltor wrote:
Amir wrote:
Mr357 wrote:

You have to call her before the actual day she gets kidnapped.

That's what he's doing. The problem, I assume, is that her grandmother keeps picking up (that always pissed me off). I don't know exactly when she'll pick up, seeing as I've been unable to recreate those conversations in my recent playthroughs. I swear they're real though.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:04 pm

Dobuita and the Harbor have all the action and everything but I feel most comfortable in Sakuragaoka. It just has the nicest atmosphere of all the areas with the park the emtpy but calm streets, the Abe Store and everything.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:39 pm

I have always been very impressed by the Harbor just watching everybody do their job. I always try talking to everybody it's what I like so much about Shenmue being able to interact with every NPC characters who are voiced.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:29 pm

I was going to say Hazuki Residence, especially the Main House and the basement but since that was not an option it was a close call between the Harbor and Dobuita. I chose Dobuita.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:05 pm

Sakuragaoka.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx