Importing save data from S1 and S2

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Importing save data from S1 and S2

Postby Centrale » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:34 pm

I noticed on the current re-release of Grandia II (another Dreamcast game), they are supporting the ability to import save data from Dreamcast playthroughs of the original. I'm not sure how they are doing this, but I thought it was interesting and could provide some hope and excitement for Shenmue fans who have speculated about continuing their save files from Shenmue.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/330390/
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Importing save data from S1 and S2

Postby Amir » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:02 pm

Interesting, I had a look at NeoGAF and found this from one of the people behind the rerelease:

I also want to help clarify what the VMU saves functionality means to the our new PC version.

- The VMS file format is the same file format used by the original Dreamcast console
- Because the Anniversary Edition is based off the original Dreamcast code, Grandia II also writes & reads to the VMS save file format within the data/save file directory
- This allows the player to import their own VMS save files that can be downloaded from any Dreamcast community websites like Blue Swirl
- Also, since Dreamcast emulators also use VMS save files, they can also bring any of their personal save files over from their emulator and continue on within the Anniversary Edition. Any Grandia II VMS save file will work.
- This allows the Grandia community to share VMS save files easily between their friends & fanbase regardless of platform

Where to find your save files
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Grandia II Anniversary Edition\data\saves

In this folder you'll see a list with all your save files. All you need to do is rename your downloaded or personal VMS files to match the format used by the game which looks like:
GRANDIA2_000.VMS

That's all there is to it. The next time you load up the Anniversary Edition your imported save files will appear in the Load Game screen.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=583

Amir has received a thanks from: Jibby
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Re: Importing save data from S1 and S2

Postby Jibby » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Seems interesting, but I have a feeling that it isn't a feature they expect people to actually use and more a nice little extra for people who know how to dump save data from a VMU using special hardware or those who have played in an emulator.

Edit: Amir's post pretty much confirms this.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Return to Shenmue III