What do you expect to be disappointing ?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What do you expect to be disappointing ?

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:38 am

Game's lenght is what worries me, im hoping for 20 hours.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:23 pm

I honestly hope the controls aren't tweaked too much. By that, I mean keeping the camera fixated behind Ryo. The way the camera panned in the first two games as you roamed about was a key part of what made the game feel so realistic and unlike most other games. I hope they can make Ryo's movement a little smoother without messing with the general concept the first games had.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:09 pm

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Game's lenght is what worries me, im hoping for 20 hours.

I'm hoping for at least 25-30 hours.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Supercereal4 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:24 pm

I'm worried that we'll, at one point or another, be forced to use the character perspective system. CPS is something that I think is a cool idea for a second playthrough, but I know that on my first playthrough I want to get the full and exclusive Ryo experience. So far Yu Suzuki has been mute on whether this is an optional feature or not. Jumping from character to character kinda removes that glorious Ryo immersion.
Supercereal4
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

XBL: Supercereal4
Steam: Supercereal4

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:33 am

Supercereal4 wrote: I'm worried that we'll, at one point or another, be forced to use the character perspective system. CPS is something that I think is a cool idea for a second playthrough, but I know that on my first playthrough I want to get the full and exclusive Ryo experience. So far Yu Suzuki has been mute on whether this is an optional feature or not. Jumping from character to character kinda removes that glorious Ryo immersion.

Yea, I'm a little iffy on that myself, because really, the story/journey is about Ryo.

However I really don't think we'll be forced to use certain characters, since Yu is talking about 5 different paths, and such. It definitely sounds like it will be a completely optional feature.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:53 am

I hope the CPS will not be optional, that would make no sense imho. It will be forced or put in a way you have to use it to progress efficiently. Shenmue need this kind of game design freshness and social-strategy innovation. Humanism has always been part of the franchise DNA and the CPS can be the feature overhauling the experience targeted by Yu since the beginning.

I just don't see the CPS taking a huge part of the game but just some quests according the story evolution.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby ScarKharris » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:38 am

I'll to dissapointed if sparks and flashes (like in Yakuza series) will be in free battle mode.
ScarKharris
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:30 am

It's the combat system that is mostly worrying me.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby The_Intruder » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:26 pm

I think the only thing that might be disappointing is if the budget won't allow for every NPC characters to be fully voiced. I always enjoyed talking to everyone in the game.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:25 am

Full voicing is still in jeopardy, I guess. Yu said, he would like to do it if it's possible. We'll see what the funding allows for. So I personally am prepared for it, if the game should turn out to not get full voice output. I never minded that with the Yakuza games but then again it's not Shenmue.

We'll just have to wait and see. I guess I would actually think of it as a pleasant surprise if the game will get full voice acting. That way I would also not find it dissapointing if it doesn't.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Chaikilla » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:50 am

I wasn't even worrying about the game having full voicing or not until I read this thread. :( That would be really disappointing for me.

That aside, I'm a little bit worried about the battle system.
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Shibiryo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:11 pm

The controls are worrying me. I don't have a clue what it could be like but I really do want to make good use of the Dpad for moves when fighting and the triggers to control Ryo running. I know many people would rather use the analogs but I dislike.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:25 pm

Shibiryo wrote: The controls are worrying me. I don't have a clue what it could be like but I really do want to make good use of the Dpad for moves when fighting and the triggers to control Ryo running. I know many people would rather use the analogs but I dislike.

One can only hope, that Yu would have enough forsight, that if he changes the control scheme to double analog, we'll still be allowed to use the D pad for both QTEs, and fighting.

People bash the DC control scheme for the Shenmue games these days, but in truth, the only thing that was keeping it from being the perfect control scheme, is that the analog was on the left side, instead of the right.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:06 pm

My expectations are extremely low. So hopefully not much lol.

Well, not so much my expectations. More like my "bullet points for what I'll be happy with personally."

Realistically, I expect the game to be awesome for Shenmue fans, and just "okay" by modern industry standards. (Or "pretty darn good" by low budget indie game standards, perhaps!)

Either way... for myself...

I just want a great story told, with familiar and new characters alike, and above all, the Shenmue FEELING and ATMOSPHERE. Lots of verisimilitude and granular detail. Even if it isn't graphically the prettiest thing anyone has ever seen.

And lots and lots of diversions and time sinks to flesh out what might otherwise be a fairly brief experience.

As long as it does that, I'll be happy and not disappointed no matter what.

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:28 pm

Anonymous81 wrote: My expectations are extremely low. So hopefully not much lol.

Well, not so much my expectations. More like my "bullet points for what I'll be happy with personally."

Realistically, I expect the game to be awesome for Shenmue fans, and just "okay" by modern industry standards. (Or "pretty darn good" by low budget indie game standards, perhaps!)

Either way... for myself...

I just want a great story told, with familiar and new characters alike, and above all, the Shenmue FEELING and ATMOSPHERE. Lots of verisimilitude and granular detail. Even if it isn't graphically the prettiest thing anyone has ever seen.

And lots and lots of diversions and time sinks to flesh out what might otherwise be a fairly brief experience.

As long as it does that, I'll be happy and not disappointed no matter what.

I have no gripe with someone keeping expectations low, if they can actually pull off that magic trick, but you can safely raise it higher then that, damn. Odds are rather overwhelming, it with be bigger then Shenmue 1(how much though, who knows), but something quite a bit smaller then 2(unless we can get another 4m in a 4 month window), so in any case, it will be way, way, way above the industry standards.

Don't forget who's making this game, not only is it the same person who made the past two games, he's the greatest Legendary developer in the history of the industry(with "only" Miyamoto him self being in the same ball park, but I have to give the edge to Yu, no one could ever hope to make a game like Shenmue 2, even if given the same opportunity Yu got), not to mention, a bunch of other key people who worked on the original game(most importantly, the person who composed the music) are helping out with this as well.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III