Gamespot: Devil's Third is near-impossible to recommend ...

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Gamespot: Devil's Third is near-impossible to recommend ...

Postby Technophilz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:06 am

This actually worries me since Yu Suzuki appeared in the game's Niconico broadcast ...

You can read the full review here
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Re: Gamespot: Devil's Third is near-impossible to recommend

Postby fittersau » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:11 am

It really depends on how much his involvement was during the game. Itagaki hosting Yu Suzuki was either a stunt riding off the Shenmue 3 success or Suzuki was actually heavily involved in the development of Devil's Third. Which could be worrisome. :lol:

The game itself looks so B-Grade action and there's some obviously bad AI.. but who knows where Itagaki starts and Suzuki finishes..what did I just say?.. #-o
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Technophilz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:20 am

I am not sure if Suzuki is officially involved with this game or not, but what worries me is that it's made using the Unreal Engine. Moreover it had a decent 34/40 score from Famitsu in Japan while western media gave it a very low score (Edge 1.5/5 and Gamespot 3/10) ...
Technophilz

Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby fittersau » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:50 am

Technophilz wrote: I am not sure if Suzuki is officially involved with this game or not, but what worries me is that it's made using the Unreal Engine. Moreover it had a decent 34/40 score from Famitsu in Japan while western media gave it a very low score (Edge 1.5/5 and Gamespot 3/10) ...

Japanese games cater for Japanese.. and us who like Japanese games. I'm not saying Gamespot's score is inappropriate however, they do have certain biases. The video they had on that review was just the intro video to the game. I'm not sure much effort was put on the review.

An independent gamer review. He also says negative things about the game, but it's not all bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8xSH1NieuE

As for UE4, I don't think it should be a concern. There are tonne of amazing games coming out using UE4. Gameplay design decisions and execution aren't a limitation of an game engine. So I wouldn't put it on UE4.

If anything, DT looks like it's just hugely unpolished from previous gameplay videos. It's probably a case of using old assets in a new engine and rushing it's development since it's had such a rough history with THQ going belly up.

This is a video of some upcoming UE4 games, Shenmue 3 included.. quite a variety of styles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3xmU0wVW0g
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Utterly laughable character should be a pro.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:37 pm

fittersau wrote:It really depends on how much his involvement was during the game. Itagaki hosting Yu Suzuki was either a stunt riding off the Shenmue 3 success or Suzuki was actually heavily involved in the development of Devil's Third. Which could be worrisome. :lol:

Suzuki and Itagaki are friends in real life. It could just be because of that.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:55 pm

Wait, are people assuming Suzuki assisted in Devil's Third development solely because he appeared on a stream? That's a huge jump in conclusions, to put it mildly.

Itagaki is just a fan of Suzuki.

Rikitatsu has received 3 thanks from: Monkei, OL, TwiceFriedRice
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:57 pm

Technophilz wrote: I am not sure if Suzuki is officially involved with this game or not, but what worries me is that it's made using the Unreal Engine. Moreover it had a decent 34/40 score from Famitsu in Japan while western media gave it a very low score (Edge 1.5/5 and Gamespot 3/10) ...

This is common, since all a game needs to be in Japan, to be rated high, is have a good story, and "colorful" art, nothing else matters there.

Here, although so called professional review sites are sell/corrupt as hell(where in Japan, I doubt they even have enough time to even turn on the game, nevermind look at the gameplay, they have so many games to review), actual gameplay matters a hell of a lot more, then in Japan.

I don't know if the game sucks or not, but completely different ratings like this, is a normal thing.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Monkei » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: Wait, are people assuming Suzuki assisted in Devil's Third development solely because he appeared on a stream? That's a huge jump in conclusions, to put it mildly.

Seriously. What the hell. ](*,)
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:29 pm

fittersau wrote:Japanese games cater for Japanese.. and us who like Japanese games. I'm not saying Gamespot's score is inappropriate however, they do have certain biases.

Only problem with that reasoning being the fact that Devil's Third was really, really obviously made with western appeal in mind. If it were originally meant to cater to the Japanese crowd, it'd be a far different beast.
Looked like absolute trash from the beginning anyway. I'd make the leap and say Gamespot is probably pretty dead-on about how crappy the game is. But then, I could be biased just because I had next to no interest in it at all. And I'm usually all kinds of interested in Japanese action games.

OL has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:18 pm

39/100 on metacritic.com:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/devils-third

Those Famitsu scores seem to be way off and kind of random pretty often, both for japanese and western games. I personally can't take them seriously.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:28 pm

shengoro86 wrote:
fittersau wrote:It really depends on how much his involvement was during the game. Itagaki hosting Yu Suzuki was either a stunt riding off the Shenmue 3 success or Suzuki was actually heavily involved in the development of Devil's Third. Which could be worrisome. :lol:

Suzuki and Itagaki are friends in real life. It could just be because of that.

Yep could be that. I might be wrong, but a few months ago I recall seeing his name in the credits in some capacity. There was a twitter post originially which I first saw his name.

So who knows what his involvement was. Looking through the credits of Devil's Third show Yu Suzuki is in fact credited for being a partner in the game. In what capacity is unknown.

https://youtu.be/Y8SNRd_2cSM

Skip to 10:38 to see his name.

fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

-

Postby danny » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:14 am

-
Last edited by danny on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby Himuro » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:28 pm

Why worry about this? Yu is just a friend of itagaki's.

If Shenmue III is great, it will get good reviews. Devil's Third, by all accounts, is a bad game and deserves the backlash.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Love that :rotflmao:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Next