Shenmue III Dreamcast Prototype

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue III Dreamcast Prototype

Postby vash525 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:49 am

Hello everyone!

I'm glad to finally be a part of this site. I've visited many a time as a hardcore Shenmue fan, didn't think to sign up til Shenmue III became a thing. Anywho, on to my question.

I remember back in the day I found a couple of prototype Dreamcast Shenmue III images floating around the internet. With the (yay!) new Shenmue III coming out, it's almost impossible to find them. I was wondering if anyone in this community still has those? Just as a collector, I'd like to have them. Thank you in advance for any help!
vash525
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue III Dreamcast Prototype

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:10 am

Are these the images you're talking about, man?

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: vash525
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Amir » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:30 am

Think it was confirmed in one of the Kickstarter videos (think it was one of the interviews with the Character Designer) that this was just cut Shenmue II content since Suzuki-san thought it didn't fit the game flow (would have been en route to Shenhua).
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby zema » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:06 am

Amir wrote:Think it was confirmed in one of the Kickstarter videos (think it was one of the interviews with the Character Designer) that this was just cut Shenmue II content since Suzuki-san thought it didn't fit the game flow (would have been en route to Shenhua).

That's probably correct, but that doesn't mean there never was a shenmue 3 being developed for the dreamcast. I would love for the extras of shenmue 3 to have more vídeos of a dreamcast prototype (if it even exists), as well as the saturn prototype. That would be awesome, also vídeos of the concept and tech demos like the man and the peach would be really cool as well.
zema
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: zema7777
Nintendo FC: zema7777
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby KidMarine » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:06 am

Since Shenmue II was released a few months after SEGA pulled the plug on the Dreamcast, I'd be very surprised if 3 was worked on at all for the Dreamcast.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby iyapol » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:36 am

Does anyone know the story behind how these images came about? Amir has mentioned they were unused Shenmue II areas / scenes but how were they found and how were they turned I to 'playable' areas?
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:15 am

zema wrote:
Amir wrote:Think it was confirmed in one of the Kickstarter videos (think it was one of the interviews with the Character Designer) that this was just cut Shenmue II content since Suzuki-san thought it didn't fit the game flow (would have been en route to Shenhua).

That's probably correct, but that doesn't mean there never was a shenmue 3 being developed for the dreamcast. I would love for the extras of shenmue 3 to have more vídeos of a dreamcast prototype (if it even exists), as well as the saturn prototype. That would be awesome, also vídeos of the concept and tech demos like the man and the peach would be really cool as well.

There was a recent interview where Suzuki-san mentioned it not being started on the Dreamcast, I can't find that one right now, but I did find this quote from the 2011 1UP article:

JM: I presume you wanted to make Shenmue 3 right after Shenmue 2, but that Sega management wouldn't let you based on the sales of Shenmue 2?

YS: Yeah.

http://www.1up.com/features/disappearan ... r.offset=2
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amir » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:16 am

iyapol wrote: Does anyone know the story behind how these images came about? Amir has mentioned they were unused Shenmue II areas / scenes but how were they found and how were they turned I to 'playable' areas?

The data was still on the disc(s) for Shenmue II, it was found when people started digging through the data back in the day.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby iyapol » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:30 am

Amir wrote:
zema wrote:

There was a recent interview where Suzuki-san mentioned it not being started on the Dreamcast, I can't find that one right now, but I did find this quote from the 2011 1UP article:

JM: I presume you wanted to make Shenmue 3 right after Shenmue 2, but that Sega management wouldn't let you based on the sales of Shenmue 2?

YS: Yeah.

http://www.1up.com/features/disappearan ... r.offset=2

I've also read that Shenmue III was never in development. In the same article Suzuki talks about having a well-deserved break as both Shenmue and Shenmue II were developed as one big project. Likewise, don't really have the time to article hunt at the moment!
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby iyapol » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:30 am

Amir wrote:
iyapol wrote: Does anyone know the story behind how these images came about? Amir has mentioned they were unused Shenmue II areas / scenes but how were they found and how were they turned I to 'playable' areas?

The data was still on the disc(s) for Shenmue II, it was found when people started digging through the data back in the day.

I wonder why they were left in the game data? I can only presume it was easier to leave it in than to take it out?
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:59 am

iyapol wrote:
Amir wrote:

I wonder why they were left in the game data? I can only presume it was easier to leave it in than to take it out?

Happens quite often with games, fans find a lot of stuff that's cut out from games, check out http://www.unseen64.net/ and https://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:18 am

It should be pointed out, that Sega employees have stated, that at one point, Shenmue 3 was in development, before it was outright canceled.

I doubt it was in development long enough to amount to anything, and I highly doubt any of the what must be early alpha prototypes(if any prototype even still exists, because they were probally destroyed) ever left Sega.

As for the pictures in this thread, yea they are most likely cut from Shenmue 2.

There's is a overwhelmingly high possibility that the entire Guilin are, was meant to be part of Shenmue 3, but Yu wanted to get that in(It's better to have such a scenario at the end, instead of the beginning anyway), he even had to cut chapter 2 from the game(which was fully created, by the time he decided to cut it from the game).

In addition the loading screen for Bailu village evidently still exists on the Shenmue 2 disc(the player just can't access it in game), which is further proof that those images were likely planned to be part of Shenmue 2.

Actually, originally meant to be Shenmue 3, then he decided to have it part of Shenmue 2, and then ultimately cut from Shenmue 2.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shenmue852 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:38 pm

ShenGCH wrote: Are these the images you're talking about, man?

hey guy, i see you're a fan of both Shenmue and Radiohead, so just FYI, you're a boss =D>

did you hear those new Thom Yorke tracks he played in Japan?
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Nico0020 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:43 am

Game devs leave unused content all the time. Goldeneye was natoruious regarding this, which resulted in a huge hacker community for it that still lives on today. Im guessing shenmue doesnt have much unused content as they had to fit as much as possible on those GDRs.
Nico0020
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: ONESTAR v2
Currently playing: Shenmue Undub 99 Min

Postby shredingskin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:49 am

Was the 5 stars corp actually cut from SII or was just a rumor ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Next

Return to Shenmue III