Europe's immigration crisis

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Europe's immigration crisis

Postby south carmain » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Surprised it hasn't really been discussed here considering it's on the front page of every news outlet. What are your thoughts on the whole situation? Some of the videos released these past few weeks have looked like something out of a movie.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

http://uk.reuters.com/news/picture/cros ... UKRTX1RNRE
Last edited by south carmain on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Europe's immigration crisis

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:27 pm

Might be a bit risky to discuss this on the internet. Especially here in Germany. Don't know where you're at but over here, some people have lost their jobs for stating a "wrong" (e.g. non-PC) opinion on that topic on the internet.

You never know who is reading here. I've never experienced it in a political sense but from what I've seen in life, be it on jobs or in private circles, the next squealer is never too far.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:16 am

The future isn't looking good for any part of Europe. Unfortunately I think it's going to get much worse.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:40 am

I'm far from a UKIPper, in fact I kinda detest that party, but I do think a harder line should have been taken when the aggression and disruption by those fleeing Syria started to become a real problem (like the Chunnel closures). Not that Syria is in Europe, so I dunno how exactly UKIP would fix it anyway.
On the other hand though, if the UK didn't have such a puppetmaster role in a lot of the shit that is happening in that part of the world, the citizens of these countries (which are presumably even worse now than when they were run by dictatorships) wouldn't be trying to run, probably.
The UK has a lot do with the subterfuge and financing/arming whichever faction looks friendliest/most useful at the time, but we're pretty much reading from the script that the USA tells us to, so part of me thinks we should take the hit on ticket costs and fly a portion of these asylum seekers over to the USA, just on the basis that if we (the UK/EU) have to deal with them, so should they, probably to even more of an extent. Will never happen though, and the asylum seekers probably wouldn't want it to either since they get more help in the EU.

It's all just one big mess really, though I think it is probably not as bad as it could be.

What I don't get though, is the UK really doesn't seem to be that great for people like that. From what I've read other EU countries are more generous in the benefits for these people, and being in the EU are gonna be a lot safer than wherever they are running from, so why do they SO want to come here so bad? Some other EU countries will have a climate closer to their hot ones than we do too. Is it because everyone has English as a second language, rather than German/French/Czech/whatever?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:31 pm

A quick update. Germany could end up taking in 3.5 million within the next 7 years (500 000 a year). They're already expected to get 800 000 applicants this year (many of them are from the Balkans though so the number they accept will most likely be closer to 500 000)
www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/08/g ... hes-lesbos
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:58 pm

I for one welcome our Syrian friends. The countries they are coming from are just ravaged by war, so you can't really blame them, they can see the stability of their country isn't going to get better, just worse and worse. Other Asians that have come here have generally gotten on with working and integrating themselves here well, you get bad eggs in every walk of life. People often forget what life would be like living in those countries where they don't know from one day to the next if they're going to die or their family are. Living in fear is no way to live at all. It must be an incredibly miserable experience. I seriously think that there needs to be a distinction between those seeking asylum from these war ravaged places and those who are coming from more stable countries. It's the latter of the two that needs to culled, not the former. There's a good reason why they're so desperate.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby south carmain » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Fair enough. But it's not really war they're fleeing but rather poverty since they're fleeing Turkey.

It's the same reason why they try so hard to not get caught in Hungary as it means they will have to stay there where life isn't as comfy as Germany and Sweden.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby south carmain » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:59 pm

'Just wait…' Islamic State reveals it has smuggled THOUSANDS of extremists into Europe
AN OPERATIVE working for Islamic State has revealed the terror group has successfully smuggled thousands of covert jihadists into Europe.

The Syrian operative claimed more than 4,000 covert ISIS gunmen had been smuggled into western nations – hidden amongst innocent refugees.

The ISIS smuggler, who is in his thirties and is described as having a trimmed jet-black beard, revealed the ongoing clandestine operation is a complete success.

"Just wait," he smiled.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/555 ... e-Refugees

Well this is kinda worrying.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Mr357
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:05 pm

I'd love to be able to help everyone and anyone who really needs help but it isn't as simple as opening the door. We're already way overcrowded in this country and not to sound to Nigel Farage but as long as we're in the EU that isn't going to stop getting worse and we can't stop it. I want to know what happens if half of the people who get German citizenship decide they want to move to the UK, as they're then classed as EU citizens does that mean they can walk in no problem?

The fact these families are risking their lives to come here makes me think they would be more then willing to work for their food, but how many will be able to work? How many speak English and how many are well enough educated to get a job where the taxpayer isn't paying them to live here? Sure some people can't work and that's one of the reasons people should go on benefits but we have to be realistic about how many we can let do that. It made me laugh how Bob Geldolf was moaning in the news about the government not supporting them enough yet they need money to do it and he ends any interview he does when someone brings up his tax dodging.

This is an issue I haven't read a lot about and don't know a whole lot about but people really need to stop with the moaning about how we should let every Syrian into the country when that would destroy us quite literally.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Mr357
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Mr357 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:08 pm

south carmain wrote:Well this is kinda worrying.

It should be. It's part of the reason why having millions of people constantly entering the U.S. illegally is a massive problem. It means anyone can get in.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Calshot » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:37 pm

phpBB [video]

Calshot has received a thanks from: Mr357
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Mr. Frozen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Send em back to their country! Look at all the wonderful places they can live in!

Seriously though, my opinion isn't politically correct but there are way too many people in the world for any country to make a difference by allowing immigrants. If European countries close their doors it will make absolutely no difference if they allowed in as many immigrants as possible. Racial tensions will most likely increase either way.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:42 pm

Although a lot of Syria is destroyed that image isnt representative of all of it. I have friends living in Damascus and Lattakia (government controlled areas) that are relatively safe and mostly untouched by war. It's still shit with government and militia checkpoints every where and the cost of everything that has gone through the roof not to mention the constant electricity cuts though but they are safe and have a roof over their heads.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby mrslig100 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:32 pm

The majority seem to be blokes in their mid 20's

Women and children fair enough but these blokes need to get out there and FIGHT!
Unless of course their riding the bandwagon for financial gain.

You hear about these people paying thousands for people smugglers to get them abroad but if they really are seeking asylum for their lives they would get a flight.
Its not illegal to "take a holiday".
I hear most of them leave their ID behind.

No good most of em.
Once you let one in you open the floodgates.
We have many homeless and overused food banks and where worrying about these people?

I went to France one we could drive for hours and it was just empty fields.
Send em their Britain has its own problems.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby south carmain » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:11 pm

mrslig100 wrote:The majority seem to be blokes in their mid 20's

Women and children fair enough but these blokes need to get out there and FIGHT!
Unless of course their riding the bandwagon for financial gain.

You hear about these people paying thousands for people smugglers to get them abroad but if they really are seeking asylum for their lives they would get a flight.
Its not illegal to "take a holiday".
I hear most of them leave their ID behind.

No good most of em.
Once you let one in you open the floodgates.
We have many homeless and overused food banks and where worrying about these people?

I went to France one we could drive for hours and it was just empty fields.
Send em their Britain has its own problems.

According to the UN Refugee agency 75% of those entering Europe are men.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Next

Return to Off Topic