Shenmue Prototype

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue Prototype

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:19 pm

I'll inform LanDC, Fenix, and ShenDream.

They are great sources for information regarding beta copies.

James Brown wrote:with people like shengoro, if there is a bicylce still in the game, could probably mod the definitive Shenmue 1, Japanese dub, english subs, with bike and coca cola machines :D

LOL Don't forget about driving the forklift through Sakuragaoka at 3AM whilst punching that horn to be an asshole :)

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: James Brown
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:56 pm

Just sent the seller some questions:

Hello.

A couple of questions regarding the betas for Shenmue.
1. Can you confirm the build number? There is already a well known beta build out on the internet. I would like to see if this version is earlier. Please grab build number from the debug menu if possible as the disc could be wrong. A 0.1 build from 2000 is unlikely as the game was already completed by then.

2. Can you crouch in this version? This will tell me where in development it is.

3. Is there a rideable bike in this?

I represent the hardcore shenmue community when I ask these questions. We have a thread open that is currently examining if these discs are a new build we dont have or a duplicate. Since GDRom burning technology still exists (i can burn GDRoms myself), we also need to proove that these are legit and not self-burnt copies of the existing 0.6a Shendream build as many betas online are.

Thanks!

Shenmue Community Administrator.

- shengoro86

shengoro86 has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, James Brown
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby James Brown » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:43 pm

shengoro86 wrote: Just sent the seller some questions:

Hello.

A couple of questions regarding the betas for Shenmue.
1. Can you confirm the build number? There is already a well known beta build out on the internet. I would like to see if this version is earlier. Please grab build number from the debug menu if possible as the disc could be wrong. A 0.1 build from 2000 is unlikely as the game was already completed by then.

2. Can you crouch in this version? This will tell me where in development it is.

3. Is there a rideable bike in this?

I represent the hardcore shenmue community when I ask these questions. We have a thread open that is currently examining if these discs are a new build we dont have or a duplicate. Since GDRom burning technology still exists (i can burn GDRoms myself), we also need to proove that these are legit and not self-burnt copies of the existing 0.6a Shendream build as many betas online are.

Thanks!

Shenmue Community Administrator.

- shengoro86

Good stuff, just because i've never seen a beta disc before, is it normal for them to be written on with a disc marker?
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Anthony817 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:49 pm

Yes, that is the only way they can label them as they are only made with a burner in house before they even get to the stage of a final release ready for mass production. Also, PAL betas are blue discs.

Anthony817 has received a thanks from: James Brown
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby Kaze518 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:56 am

Spo have we heard anything back from this seller yet?
Kaze518
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

XBL: Sith Lord Roku
Currently playing: Shenmue 2

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:56 am

Kaze518 wrote: Spo have we heard anything back from this seller yet?

Here is their responses:
First response from the seller:
Dear shengoro86,

Hello -- Thank you for the questions and the interest. I will have my husband check on all of this and send you answers as soon as he is able. As far as authenticity goes, he has been in possession of these since his employment at Sega. He can work on somehow verifying this for you, but if you need to check on his involvement with the game his name is Mike [I REMOVED HIS LAST NAME FOR HIS SAFETY] and is listed as the lead tester in the credits.

- NAME REMOVED

Second response from her husband, a lead tester on Shenmue in the USA
Dear shengoro86,

Hello this is Mike writing. A few quick answers to your questions below. There is no crouch move available. I took a screen of the moves available for you. There is also no rideable bike that I was ever aware of. Neither of those were present on builds that were in test at Sega of America. As for the build version I am unaware how to verify that on the menus. I cycled through everything and didn't see anything that seemed to indicate a version. Maybe I am missing something?

With his responses in mind, I am 90% sure this build is identical to the ShenDream release.

shengoro86 has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, Kaze518
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:25 pm

I asked Mike if I can interview him on his testing work at Sega. Maybe it can uncover some neat stuff we haven't seen in the retail releases and Shendream betas.

shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby MechaWumpa » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Awesome stuff going on to keep us waiting for SIII. Noice.
MechaWumpa
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: RandomDudeXIII
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Persona 5

Postby AnonBaiter » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:24 pm

Although I have the final build of the game(albeit it's a GDI dump), I would love to have a dump out of this stuff too.
AnonBaiter
Banned
Banned

XBL: RacuousLeech01
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Zoltor » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:21 am

shengoro86 wrote:

Here is their responses:
Dear shengoro86,

Hello -- Thank you for the questions and the interest. I will have my husband check on all of this and send you answers as soon as he is able. As far as authenticity goes, he has been in possession of these since his employment at Sega. He can work on somehow verifying this for you, but if you need to check on his involvement with the game his name is Mike [I REMOVED HIS LAST NAME FOR HIS SAFETY] and is listed as the lead tester in the credits.

- NAME REMOVED

Dear shengoro86,

Hello this is Mike writing. A few quick answers to your questions below. There is no crouch move available. I took a screen of the moves available for you. There is also no rideable bike that I was ever aware of. Neither of those were present on builds that were in test at Sega of America. As for the build version I am unaware how to verify that on the menus. I cycled through everything and didn't see anything that seemed to indicate a version. Maybe I am missing something?

With his responses in mind, I am 90% sure this build is identical to the ShenDream release.

Shame it Isn't a earlier build, but still pretty damn awesome though, It's not like Prototypes grow on trees, and of Shenmue of all things at that.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:28 am

Zoltor wrote:
shengoro86 wrote:

Here is their responses:
Dear shengoro86,

- NAME REMOVED

Dear shengoro86,

Shame it Isn't a earlier build, but still pretty damn awesome though, It's not like Prototypes grow on trees, and of Shenmue of all things at that.

What I find to be even cooler is that this guy has a System2 Disc.

I have one myself but they are stupid fucking rare. Much more than a shenmue beta
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:33 am

He is cool to do an interview.
Dear shengoro86,

Hi James -- I would be more than happy to do an interview. I briefly popped in on the site a few years back. I love that there is such a great place for Shenmue fans to hang out. I am going to load the game up again tonight and try to cycle through the main menu debug screen. I recall that you could use the triggers to pull different stuff up on that screen as well. Maybe there is a version number there? I think you could also go straight into playing Hang On or Space Harrier from that screen as well. We had a tester high-score list for all the games within Shenmue. I think I held the darts high score. One of my guys killed it on Hang On. Anyway thanks again for the interest.

I'll handle it from here

shengoro86 has received 5 thanks from: DEVILLE_David, Giorgio, iyapol, James Brown, Switch
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:22 am

shengoro86 wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
shengoro86 wrote:

Here is their responses:
Dear shengoro86,

- NAME REMOVED

Dear shengoro86,

What I find to be even cooler is that this guy has a System2 Disc.

I have one myself but they are stupid fucking rare. Much more than a shenmue beta

Yea, that's amazing, I have never even seen one of those myself, while Dreamcast prototypes, as long as you don't care what game they are of, are downright very common, in general.

PS. He told us very important info though, if the bike didn't exist in the NA beta at all, this proves that the NA localization didn't start at all, until after the Japanese version was officially released/ready to be released.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:07 pm

im interviewing him.

place your questions here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49107

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: James Brown
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:26 am

I was thinking I may actually beable to bid on this, because with 4h left, it was only at 250, but then at the 3h mark, it went to 360, and now with less then 1h remaining, It's 430(still cheap atm actually, but after giving money to the Shenmue 3 KS, and buying a few things earlier this year, It's still too much for me to spend on anything).

Edit: Prototype ended up selling for 2,550 dollars. Way more then I can afford, that's for sure, but glad it sold for a decent price(I was afraid I was going to miss out on such a awesome item costing only 400-500 for a moment there)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue