We should really push for full voice acting

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: We should really push for full voice acting

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:34 pm

punkmanced wrote:
Bellator wrote: Allways assumed full voice acting was a given, specially with all the translation languages made avaiable through the kickstarter stretch goals.

Exactly! Nice to find out it’s not.

…Here’s a question.
Why couldn’t those loveable f*cktards make this into a clear stretch goal?
(and no…not at the $11M tier)

This. I think it should have been in there. But then again, the budget for the VA has to go along with the scale of the game so maybe they don't even know how much voicing they will need yet.

Honestly, I would have preferred them to make the game Japanese voices only. Forget about English voices, save half of the voice budget and use that money for a full-fledged Japanese voice over. Then put English and the other languages as subtitles.

It worked perfectly fine for Shenmue 2 PAL on DC, it worked for some of the Yakuza games. They saved a lot of localization costs just by dumping English VA.

With all that said, keep in mind that Ys Net probably won't step down from either English VA or any of the subs. Especially not with a Frenchman in charge of the games financials. :lol:

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: fittersau
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby fittersau » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote:
punkmanced wrote:
Bellator wrote: Allways assumed full voice acting was a given, specially with all the translation languages made avaiable through the kickstarter stretch goals.

Exactly! Nice to find out it’s not.

…Here’s a question.
Why couldn’t those loveable f*cktards make this into a clear stretch goal?
(and no…not at the $11M tier)

This. I think it should have been in there. But then again, the budget for the VA has to go along with the scale of the game so maybe they don't even know how much voicing they will need yet.

Honestly, I would have preferred them to make the game Japanese voices only. Forget about English voices, save half of the voice budget and use that money for a full-fledged Japanese voice over. Then put English and the other languages as subtitles.

It worked perfectly fine for Shenmue 2 PAL on DC, it worked for some of the Yakuza games. They saved a lot of localization costs just by dumping English VA.

With all that said, keep in mind that Ys Net probably won't step down from either English VA or any of the subs. Especially not with a Frenchman in charge of the games financials. :lol:

Same. I know Corey is a massive force in the Shenmue comminity and he's done heaps, but given budget constraints I would take an 80% Japanese voiced game over a 40% voiced Japanese and English dubbed game. When Shenmue 3 is released, I would have a quick listen to Corey's voice just for nostalgia then switch back to Japanese for the game. For me its not where I'd have allocated budget to.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby baconeel » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:52 am

shredingskin wrote: In some of the resent interviews he said that they made an algorithm for doing the same lines sound different.

If they have this in mind, to this day it sounds fucking awesome (the different dialogue, not the VO).

If that it's not the case and means recording everything separate, then I say I don't care.

It was pretty damn awesome how SI did, if there's no dialogue stop the dialogue trigger, even then you can try again after walking around (fucking awesome if you think about adventure games, or rpgs that say the same shit again).

The dynamic facecams the game did are still (very) impresive, They are fucking dynamic, it kinda understands enviroments and who are you talking to (not nearby standers). Really it's still fucking incredible.

YES, the facecams too. A big part of what made Shenmue Shenmue. One could only hope though.
baconeel
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:35 am

Had some extra free time during lunch-break so I played the (famous and useless) "What if..." game about the Kickstarter stretch goals.

I started with one assumption: Since Sony stated that they would support Shenmue 3 publishing and advertising, the various subtitles stretch goals could have been removed and outsourced to existing Sony structures usually in charge of post-production and multi-language localization.
This could have been annouced during the KS campaign IF the subtitles stretch goals were aimed to collect funds from worldwide fans. The cost of those subtitles production would probably have been significantly lower compared to their overall 500K value from the KS stretch goals.

I know we should be thanksful towards Sony for the efforts and involvment they already put in this miracle, but hey, it's a game, my game :mrgreen:

The stretch goals scale without subtitles would look like this: (Did it quick, so i hope it's correct)

Ragdoll Reaction would have been reached within KS campaign.

AI Battling would be in sight now that the Paypal campaign is running and High Ground Battle System would be a realistic target by december 31st.

...Please, take me back to the reality Image
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:15 am

Here's a hypothetical question: Would you, a fan, voluntarily travel to Japan and do voice acting for random NPCs without getting compensated by YSNET?
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:27 am

Rikitatsu wrote: Here's a hypothetical question: Would you, a fan, voluntarily travel to Japan and do voice acting for random NPCs without getting compensated by YSNET?

Always wanted to travel to Japan. 100% I would.

I'm sure anyone on this board who could afford travelling to Japan would say yes.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:40 am

Depends on how long the recording would take, but if I could afford it, yes. :)
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amir » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:46 am

Kiske wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote: Here's a hypothetical question: Would you, a fan, voluntarily travel to Japan and do voice acting for random NPCs without getting compensated by YSNET?

Always wanted to travel to Japan. 100% I would.

I'm sure anyone on this board who could afford travelling to Japan would say yes.

Yup. Unfortunately even if I had the money I'm painfully monotone so my acting would be even worse than anything in Shenmue IIX :P
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:06 pm

If my health could stand up to it, in a heartbeat. Alas, not an option.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Previous

Return to Shenmue III