How did you react to the announcement?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: How did you react to the announcement?

Postby ShenBlue92 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:33 am

I'm from Pistoia, near Florence.... Piacere di conoscerti ;)
ShenBlue92
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Kiske » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:12 am

Tuscany... I love this region!

Been twice in the Mugello area and once in Florence. Hope to go back there soon.

As for the original thread subject, I was on vacation in Florida at the time of the annoucement with poor internet connexion and most of my time spent at the beach. :mrgreen:

I heard about the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter the day after and at first I thought it was a bad joke so I checked Shenmuedojo and it was all true! I couldn't believe it. If I didn't completely give up on the sequel of my all-time favourite games, my hopes were burried pretty deep in my mind. Couldn't say anything for several minutes but after the first shock, I told my wife about it and probably bored her to death for next few days!

When we camed back home, I backed the project and convinced my wife to do so too (I made her Watch "Shenmue The Movie" a few years before, so she was aware of the game Greatness :mrgreen: ) and started to Watch all the Live reactions I could just to keep me in this great place I was since the annoucement. We have a little boy, 17 month old now and we try to make him listen to music as much as we can. Long story short, our family is listening to Shenmue OST since end of June and the little boy... well, he likes it :king:

As many of you, Shenmue impacted me as a gamer but also as a human being. Always loved martial arts, always loved japanese culture and philosophy. One day my kid will be interested in gaming (probably sooner than I expect) and Shenmue will definitely be the game I'm going to play with him, beside him.
If not Shenmue, what else? :heart:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby rigo8582 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:54 am

I damn near shit a brick, I pretty much had the same reaction as MIchael Huber from Gametrailers. I was laying down because I was working days. I was finding it pretty boring nothing I found interesting. Then the Final Fantasy VII remake caught my attention and I was look hell yeah I'm definitely getting that.

Then the kickstarter thing started and I'm thinking its going to some stupid game that I could careless about. Then I heard the music and I jumped out the heard screaming "No, No, No way!". My initial reaction was it was going to be Shenmue HD. Then I saw "III" and I about shit myself again. I was so excited I went to the kickstarter page and kickstarter was down. I was amped from that I called in sick to work.
rigo8582
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: qbanb8582
XBL: rigo8582
Steam: rigo8582
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:19 pm

My reaction was:

"No... NO! O_O" Followed by, "If this is in any way disingenuous or not really a true Shenmue sequel, I will cry."

Then I saw Yu, and saw the people in the audience crying, and cried. Then I immediately watched other people's reactions (especially the Huber reaction lol) and cried again. And again. For like an hour.

Then I got angry that Sony wasn't actually funding it, and was cynically using people's fandom to garner goodwill for themselves without contributing (which I later of course found out was totally false and that they were actually contributing an undisclosed amount - which came as a big relief to me lol.)

Then I started looking into whether or not I could afford to contribute. And then I debated whether I should... but finally could not resist, and did. And then became obsessed. And then spent hours every day promoting it and ended up going way over what I initially intended to donate lol.

And now... now I am reliving those memories thanks to this topic, and smiling broadly. :)

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Shibiryo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:41 pm

I was actually pissed at first, thinking wtf? and thought that the guy talking about the kickstarter before the initial reveal part "yeah Playstation fans have been very hopeful about this, kickstarter blah blah blah" and then the music played, I was like Shenmue is being talked shit about, so I was really judicial before I became jubilant. Was my mood at the time I guess or just plain shock.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby GYO6161 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:17 am

to be honest, i still cant believe it was announced... i need to go to the kickstarter page everyday and let it sink in....

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby xbluemystx » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:17 am

Like most people, I stopped getting my hopes up and ignored E3 for years. As much as I hate the website, I sometimes check the Dreamcast boards on GameFAQs. Someone posted a thread about Yu making that twitter post and it really got me thinking. I concluded that if the creator were to mislead us like that, I would consider giving up hope... but part of me felt like he wouldn't do that to us. I was doubtful but my conscious told me to check out the conference.

I had the event streaming live on my TV. At first, I paid attention to it but quickly became hopeless and turned my chair to my computer to play my online game and completely stopped paying attention yet left it running. I don't remember exactly what I said but as soon as I heard the song start, I freaked out and quickly turned back. I said "omg" and "holy shit" plenty of times eventually. I couldn't sit still. I was flipping out so much that I missed most of what was being said... which very quickly made me scared that it was just an announcement for HD remakes (this seemed to happen in a lot of reaction videos). I kept shouting "remake or three?! remaster or sequel?!" or something along those lines. Part of me was almost ready to scream and cry "don't do this to me!!!". After it was confirmed, I couldn't stop my body from trembling, my heart was racing so fast that I was having chest pains, and I was sweating. I felt like screaming at the top of my lungs but I was temporarily in a place where the walls were very thin, so I couldn't.

Like someone else said, despite how overwhelming this was, part of me was offended that one of the best announcements of my life was being forced into public funding... big corporate business backed away for financial fears and acted like this was some homebrew that they didn't want to lose out on. But it wasn't enough to ruin the moment. I donated $500 to kickstarter, couldn't calm my tremors or heart for nearly a hour, and I only slept for 2 hours that night. The next day, I shed a tear or two. Also like others have said, I spent hours and hours watching reaction videos and couldn't believe how much joy they brought me - I've archived many of them. For weeks, I would watch Michaels reaction multiple times per day - it made me so happy to see.

xbluemystx has received a thanks from: Kiske
xbluemystx

Postby Himuro » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:38 am

I still can't believe it's actually happening some times. Like it's a dream. And I end up thinking I can do anything, because Shenmue III is happening. Is that stupid?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby KidMarine » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:43 am

Himuro wrote: I still can't believe it's actually happening some times. Like it's a dream. And I end up thinking I can do anything, because Shenmue III is happening. Is that stupid?

I feel exactly the same way.

I still check the Kickstarter page every now and then to make sure it exists and I didn't just temporarily slip into an alternate Universe.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:48 am

I think that's exactly were those physical copies will play a very important role. Once S3 is out I will have to check my shelf for the physical PS4 and PC version every day to make sure, S3 is actually there and it wasn't just a dream.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrandyk » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:07 pm

A friend who knows how I feel about Shenmue texted me that Shenmue 3 was announced at e3. I didn't believe him. I became so jaded about a third game that I simply would not believe him. I looked up Shenmue 3 in a google news search on my phone and was just getting results about a fake Shenmue 3 fund being shut down, which just confused me further. Then I decided to just come here and saw that the dojo had exploded.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr357 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:14 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: I think that's exactly were those physical copies will play a very important role. Once S3 is out I will have to check my shelf for the physical PS4 and PC version every day to make sure, S3 is actually there and it wasn't just a dream.

Just sleep with it under your pillow. That'll save you some trouble.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:07 am

The more I read comments about how we fans reacted to the annoucement, the more I'm convinced we are a *nuts* community.
It definitely makes me feel less alone and proud to be part of it :king:

That said, it may not be the right topic for this video... but he definitely (Marcin Gulik) deserves some views!

phpBB [video]

Kiske has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Himuro » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:24 pm

The framed picture of Yu :rotflmao:
Last edited by Himuro on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:25 pm

Indifference, surprise, then indifference again.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Previous

Return to Shenmue III