Why was the ridable Bike cut from Shenmue 1?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Why was the ridable Bike cut from Shenmue 1?

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:45 am

When the info was released that a Bike was originally in the game, we where more or less told/led to believe it wasn't fully functional, and was hard to keep it steady(infact I recall seeing footage of such a while back, showing it was pretty hard to ride/it wasn't fully functional, when this came to light).

Well I decided to do a Youtube search, to see if a Beta version of the game, with the Bike actually surfaced(opposed instead of just the footage I have seen already), and found such pretty easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9XQsX5QAKs

As you can see, the bike seems to be fully functional here, It's not the clumsy mess we may have seen in the past, so if it was a already fully implemented system, why was it cut, I wonder?

Someone so needs to ask Yu about this(while they're at it, ask him how he fit Shenmue 2 on just 4 GD rom discs as well).
Last edited by Zoltor on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Why what the rideable Bike cut from Shenmue 1?

Postby Gen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:14 am

Both of those questions are partially answered in the GDC postmortem video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amu0_EunHmM

There's a segment about data compression at 25:55

Someone asks about the bike at 40:45, but Yu's answer isn't very satisfactory, he basically says "Unfortunately we couldn't include everything we wanted".
My guess is that even though it looks good and fully functional in the video, there may have been other problems with it, such as poor controls, problems with going uphill or downhill etc.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:20 am

Gen wrote: Both of those questions are partially answered in the GDC postmortem video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amu0_EunHmM

There's a segment about data compression at 25:55

Someone asks about the bike at 40:45, but Yu's answer isn't very satisfactory, he basically says "Unfortunately we couldn't include everything we wanted".
My guess is that even though it looks good and fully functional in the video, there may have been other problems with it, such as poor controls, problems with going uphill or downhill etc.

I watched that awhile ago, and yea the response about the bike, definitely wasn't a real answer.

I don't recall him going into detail about the compression technique he used(just that some undisclosed compression techniques were used/just a couple things are mentioned), but I'll rewatch it again

Update Edit: Oh ok, yea evidently it does explain a compression technique in great detail, you just need to read the text on screen lol(there being a translator present, I must've not notice the text on screen, during that segment, plus I believe I was making dinner when I was in the middle of watching this, so yea).

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:32 am

Yeah it was cut due to budget.

I have been working on bringing it back via mods for about 3 years now. It's a very technical process.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:35 am

shengoro86 wrote: Yeah it was cut due to budget.

I have been working on bringing it back via mods for about 3 years now. It's a very technical process.

What budget lmao, Yu didn't have anything of the sort.

Yea, I imagine It's very tricky to create a bike, to work in a way that would be fitting for a Shenmue game.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Gen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:45 am

Zoltor wrote:

Yea, I imagine It's very tricky to create a bike, to work in a way that would be fitting for a Shenmue game.

But they had a time constraint, and probably had to cut alot of stuff that weren't good enough for release.

To Shengoro: I look forward to riding downhill through Yamanose :)

Gen has received a thanks from: shengoro86
Gen

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:02 pm

Gen wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

But they had a time constraint, and probably had to cut alot of stuff that weren't good enough for release.

To Shengoro: I look forward to riding downhill through Yamanose :)

This is definitely true by the time the 2nd game was nearing completion, I'm posite Yu knew if he didn't release it when he did, Sega may have decided not to release such at all, because they were folding in general at the time. This is what most likely why the first person BS happens at all. I'm pretty sure Yu forced the First Person thing in that area of the map, to cove up a camera bug(these types of camera bugs caused by being in super narrow spaces were super common in that era of game development).

I don't know if that would've effected the first game much though, however it would be very interesting from a historic standpoint if that was the case, because if it is, that would imply Yu predicted Sega looking for a easy way out, back in 99, and thus he couldn't afford(figuratively speaking) lingering on a system/feature that Isn't a must have.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Gen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:52 pm

I don't know. I think it's true that there was basically no limit on the amount of money Am2 could spend on Shenmue but there certainly must have been some kind of time constraint on S1 from Sega. Shenmue was going to be the Dreamcast 'killer app' and they couldn't wait forever to release it. At least, Sega would have wanted it released before PS2 launched in japan.
Gen

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:00 pm

Gen wrote: I don't know. I think it's true that there was basically no limit on the amount of money Am2 could spend on Shenmue but there certainly must have been some kind of time constraint on S1 from Sega. Shenmue was going to be the Dreamcast 'killer app' and they couldn't wait forever to release it. At least, Sega would have wanted it released before PS2 launched in japan.

Originally Shenmue 1 was suppose to come out at launch, which Yu overshot a bit. I guess it is possible that even though it wasn't ready at launch, Sega could've have still been pressuring Yu to get it out as soon as possible, so that could very well be the reason.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Chaikilla » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:29 pm

I don't know the exact reasons but I can't help but think that a bike would have been more useful in Shenmue 2. Maybe I'm just lazy ;/
Chaikilla

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:32 pm

Wasn't the official reason that the bike would have massively perverted the main gameplay and the Ryo trademark representation ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Amir » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:38 pm

I can imagine parking it would have been a problem, too. What would happen if you left your bike in the middle of Dobuita overnight? Would it be in the same place the next day? Would someone nick it? Would people give you shit for leaving your bike in the middle of the street? :P It's not like GTA: San Andreas where you can just nick another bike... The vehicle-like control scheme for Ryo makes a bit more sense, though (unless they had a different control scheme for the bike, like tapping A to go faster or something).
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:40 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Isn't the official reason was because the bike would have massively perverted the main gameplay and the Ryo trademark representation ?

I could so see that as a point, except if that was a factor at all, why was it being planned to be added to the game, to beginwith. Surely Yu knew such would speed things up a tad+ have the side effect of causing players not to talk to NPCs as much as they would otherwise, because they are on a bike.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:01 pm

Yu said for Shenmue 3 that the most difficult part in developing process is trying new things and don't know the exact result. So I suppose they became aware of the issue at the last moment. Because they even not tried to include it in Shenmue 2. I imagine also the loading as a point, it could have got on the player nerves to be stopped each 10 seconds.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Switch » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:31 am

I see they had even built a bike shed in Dobuita where Ryo could leave his bike.

By the way, listening to Yu's words in the GDC video, he says "I wanted to put it (the bicycle) into Shenmue, but we ran into various problems and gave up on it". So he was just a touch more specific than the interpreter's version.

Switch has received 3 thanks from: Amir, Gen, Nankeiro
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Next

Return to Shenmue