Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

Postby Amir » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:35 pm

During the MAGIC conference Suzuki talked about wanting to introduce Southern Chinese martial arts in Shenmue III, having focused on northern Chinese styles in Shenmue II. These have more rapid small movements for close-quarters fighting, and as such he wants to have fights taking place in tight spaces such as corridors and stairways. After showing a slide of a courtyard with a table and chairs he also said that fights in such areas would see said objects flying about.

Amir has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, SheepheadCG
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:10 pm

Amir wrote: During the MAGIC conference Suzuki talked about wanting to introduce Southern Chinese martial arts in Shenmue III, having focused on northern Chinese styles in Shenmue II. These have more rapid small movements for close-quarters fighting, and as such he wants to have fights taking place in tight spaces such as corridors and stairways. After showing a slide of a courtyard with a table and chairs he also said that fights in such areas would see said objects flying about.

Mm. I saw this. I like what he said about being able to split up the numbers of opponents in order to fight them off separately instead of individually too. I've not seen many attempts at close-quarters hand to hand combat in games, so I'm pretty hyped to see what Yu comes up with.

I think we're likely to see an overhaul of the FREE Battle system that progressively introduces itself through the game and includes various other elements like the skill tree system. It'd be so cool if they did a major update to the dynamic countering system in the DC games and gave it a modular aspect of applying and developing different martial arts disciplines through the skill tree system, as well as allowing you to use regular moves while in a dodge state.

Say for instance, at the start of the game you've only got the Hazuki style discipline that isn't developed very far on the skill tree and you're facing an enemy. You press Y (or triangle, but I'll be using DC inputs for the sake of familiarity) to activate a dodge, then ->-> X to go into an elbow assault as a counter move. Later in the game you've been able to develop the skill tree and adopt a Wing Chun discipline and the same thing happens with an enemy, you could press -> -> B to activate a version of machine gun fist where you have to hammer X until the attack is interrupted, the enemy is knocked out, or you send them flying with a kick extension with A at the end of a string of Xs.

That would be my dream of part of how the combat engine is upgraded. Make really good use of the motion capture data mixed with animation blending, for a cinematic yet realistic game of playing offence and defence against individual and groups of enemies in tight spaces.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

"MAGIC - a fans retrospective"

Postby Shenman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:42 pm

Well hello everyone, As Peter did After the MAGIC 2016, I also did some kind of summary of this... Well "MAGIC" day but in video format. :)
I though it could be interesting for people wanting some backstage information...

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did when I recorded / edited it ;)

phpBB [video]

(do not forget to turn english subtitles on as it is a french video)

I don't think it really translate the pleasure I had in participating in that adventure but it is there for your enjoyement ! :D

Enjoy :heart:

Shenman
Shenmue Master Staff
Shenmue Master Staff

PSN: Shenman
XBL: Shenman
Steam: Shenman
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Fallout 4

Postby Bellator » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Thank you to all that posted your detailed experience at magic monaco. I really enjoyed reading about your experience.

I am glad you all found it worth it and that you had a great time.

Bellator has received a thanks from: Shenman
Bellator
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby koalazeus » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:46 pm

I would also like to say thank you for all of this. Very good to see!

koalazeus has received a thanks from: Shenman
koalazeus
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Not as much as I'd like

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:02 pm

I got actual chills watching that!!

Amazing video Shenman!

Wish we could all go back and do it all over again!

Peter has received a thanks from: Shenman
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby yuc02 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:09 am

Peter wrote: I got actual chills watching that!!

Amazing video Shenman!

Wish we could all go back and do it all over again!

Yeah, life back in the real world seems a bit dull after last weekend :)

Sorry I didn't get to know everyone's name during the conference, but hope to see you again sometime!

yuc02 has received 3 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, rdk_nl, Shenman
yuc02
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: yuc2002

Postby rdk_nl » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:38 am

Have loads of pictures and information about my experience last weekend; would like to write it down or make a video summary like Shenman did.

But sooooo little time :(

I have an excellent memory, detailed. Everything I have (digital and physical) is archived very well.
Someone have ideas; please let me know!

rdk_nl has received a thanks from: Shenman
rdk_nl

Postby Hanzumon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:33 am

Will the new interview with Yu Suzuki from shenmuemasters come out in the next time?
Hanzumon

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: lollipop chainsaw

Postby mrandyk » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:27 pm

Did Cedric really say he would like to make a Dreamcast version of Shenmue 3? While I would be ecstatic to see that happen there just is no way any work is done on such a thing.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:39 am

There's saying you would like to do it, and then there's saying you intend to do it. It's an idea that excites him as a fan, but as a businessman he acknowledges that it would be an unprofitable waste of resources.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:25 am

Its cool that cedric wanted shenmue 3 on dc but yeah, that would have been suicide in terms of sales, HOWEVER, i would have loved if Shenmue 3 was on ps4/pc with retro DC graphics ala megaman 9/10. I mean there is a market for retro indie games so it could've work.. Modern UE4 graphics are fine and all but theres just something for me on how Shenmue 1 and 2 look that its unmatched from everything imo.

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: fittersau
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby fittersau » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:55 am

GYO6161 wrote: Its cool that cedric wanted shenmue 3 on dc but yeah, that would have been suicide in terms of sales, HOWEVER, i would have loved if Shenmue 3 was on ps4/pc with retro DC graphics ala megaman 9/10. I mean there is a market for retro indie games so it could've work.. Modern UE4 graphics are fine and all but theres just something for me on how Shenmue 1 and 2 look that its unmatched from everything imo.

Exactly, I just see that as wasted development capital. With such small demand for it given the current DC install base and subsequent lack of future availability, it's purely a ultra fan boys wet dream. Don't get me wrong, I'd love nothing for it to happen myself as I count myself as a DC romantic, but the realist in me wants Shenmue 4 to succeed in every possible way and therefore any resources diverted from an excellent PS4/PC Shemue 3 release to a relic platform would be as you say, financial suicide. :agrue: #-o

In fact, the possibility of Shenmue 3/4 on the Dreamcast 2 seems more of a probability than a port of Shenmue 3 to the Dreamcast platform given the 16 year technical challenges. Whereas these are only possibilities on a Dreamcast 2. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. \:D/

fittersau has received a thanks from: GYO6161
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Wrote an article about the Eze tour and Monaco dinner: https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/a-weeke ... f4d9d9edb6

Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Switch » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:38 pm

Amir wrote: Wrote an article about the Eze tour and Monaco dinner: https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/a-weeke ... f4d9d9edb6

Thanks! I had been hoping someone would do a write-up. Looking forward to reading your impressions.

Switch has received a thanks from: Amir
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III