Shenmue's music is healthy

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue's music is healthy

Postby Shibiryo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:58 pm

I have been creating quite a few threads regarding Shenmue and the series but you see I Just finally wanted to get to this last point whilst I'm still alive. Shenmue's music is so healthy. I feel quite young again and so relaxed that I do not feel the pain that hits me. I recommend listening to Shenmue music at least everyday if it's possible for you because it pretty much will legitimately heal you like the tough human being you are today. I pretty much like the tone of every single Shenmue track there is and will not stop listening until it's the end. I would so love to see what fellow members here think Sure there are many other things out there relative to Shenmue's music but just relieve that OST man, freaking relieve.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Re: Shenmue's music is healthy

Postby Himuro » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:28 pm

Been listening to Shenmue music non-stop since III announcement. Listening to the Dojo Shenmue 1 cutscene OST video while working. \:D/
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:13 pm

The creation of the Shenmue OST is based on buddhist sutras so I believe you.

Suzuki: Since Shenmue is a game you play at a relaxed pace, we wanted music that wouldn’t be too noisy or distracting to the player. That’s why I told Mitsuyoshi, “why don’t you try listening to some sutras first.” (laughs) For example, take the babbling of a stream, the sound of footsteps, or a bird’s warbling… these are sounds that no one is bothered by, and they have no melody to them. But to the extent that there is a melody, after listening to it for 3 or 4 hours, it will start to wear on your mind and annoy you… as such, my closest image for the music of Shenmue was buddhist sutras. There’s something mysterious about them, and I asked Mitsuyoshi to try and match that image.

Mitsuyoshi: What I tried to achieve for Shenmue was not “Takenobu Mitsuyoshi’s music.” Rather, I tried to find the melody that lies in the sound effects themselves, something that used sound effects for melody and rythym. When you design the music for an arcade game, your goal is to get the customer in the game center to stop and take notice of your game. Basically, its kind of like you’re trying to make a “commercial” for the game: how many people can you draw in, in the short span of time they hear the music? That was what I pursued, compositionally, in my previous work.
With Shenmue I’m creating the total opposite. It’s music that you don’t really notice, but if it wasn’t there, the scene would feel barren. It was very nuanced, detailed work, and very challenging in many ways. But because the scale of this project was so large, it did afford me a lot of opportunities to experiment. As a composer I feel like I leveled up in a big way.

Still unreal from a guy who made the OST of the Virtua, Sega Rally, Daytona and Sega Touring Cars.

Yokosuka has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Nahovil
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby xbluemystx » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:05 pm

But of course. There are studies that show that classical music is good for living beings. Like how it helps plants grow. I have a tropical plant in my room and I always keep an old cell phone by it with plenty of relaxing music. Some of the top major league gamers always have classic music running during their streams.

Honestly though, Shenmues music makes me too emotional. It's sometimes too much.
xbluemystx
Asia Travel Representative

Postby iyapol » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:36 pm

What's all this talk of death about? Lighten up, folks.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr357 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:39 pm

I've been listening to this one on repeat lately. The feeling I get from it is surreal.

Music is an incredible language that everyone can understand, and some can speak.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Damon Plus » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:11 am

I downloaded the Osts to my phone and I've been listening them all the time. It's no exageration to say they are the best Osts ever made, not only for the quality, but for the emotions they convey and the memories they bring back. Just amazing.
Damon Plus

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:18 am

Damon Plus wrote: I downloaded the Osts to my phone and I've been listening them all the time. It's no exageration to say they are the best Osts ever made, not only for the quality, but for the emotions they convey and the memories they bring back. Just amazing.

I imagine a mobile app alternating Shenmue tracks according the time and the place you are like you're playing the game. :P
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Scrounder » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:11 pm

Unfortunately some of the best songs in the series probably does not receive the recognition they deserve since they are played quietly in the background.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

These two are really amazing. You only hear the first 20 seconds of Crag in-game unless you press the "Y" button to open your inventory and listen to it.
Scrounder
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:03 pm

The entirety of Guilin is majestic and amazing. Most inspiring sound section of a game I've ever heard.

Himuro has received a thanks from: SMDzero
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby DEVILLE_David » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:49 pm

One of the best game OST ever.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby fittersau » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:41 am

Yokosuka wrote:
Damon Plus wrote: I downloaded the Osts to my phone and I've been listening them all the time. It's no exageration to say they are the best Osts ever made, not only for the quality, but for the emotions they convey and the memories they bring back. Just amazing.

I imagine a mobile app alternating Shenmue tracks according the time and the place you are like you're playing the game. :P

haha, nice. A Shenmue augmented reality app.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:37 pm

I've really noticed that Shenmue 1 FREE music is great background music for working.

NeoShredder has received a thanks from: Himuro
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby SMDzero » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Scrounder wrote: Unfortunately some of the best songs in the series probably does not receive the recognition they deserve since they are played quietly in the background.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

These two are really amazing. You only hear the first 20 seconds of Crag in-game unless you press the "Y" button to open your inventory and listen to it.

I know! I can't believe you barely hear the full Crag Day music! I used to examine Ren's coins whilst listening to it!
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:27 am

NeoShredder wrote: I've really noticed that Shenmue 1 FREE music is great background music for working.

It is. That and Guilin soundtrack.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue