"I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogamer

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: "I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogam

Postby Amir » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:25 pm

How about partnering with this guy and selling Shenmue-themed Dreamcasts to raise money for the PayPal?

I believe he's based in France? https://www.facebook.com/Oskunk

Again, getting Yu to sign some of the Dreamcasts would be amazing, as well. Bundle them with some copies of Shenmue I & II they have lying around, BOOM. Best thing to do while there's no Shenmue HD.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Amir wrote: How about partnering with this guy and selling Shenmue-themed Dreamcasts to raise money for the PayPal?

I believe he's based in France? https://www.facebook.com/Oskunk

Again, getting Yu to sign some of the Dreamcasts would be amazing, as well. Bundle them with some copies of Shenmue I & II they have lying around, BOOM. Best thing to do while there's no Shenmue HD.

You know, I always thaght Yu should team up with someone who can make Shenmue themed merchandise, and then feed Yu's portion of the profits into the development of the Shenmue 3.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:01 pm

10 years ago, journalists had to write something worth paying for. Your occasional reader might get one mag once in a blue moon because the cover looked good but the core costumer base that appreciated good columns/articles was where most of the money came from.

This environment rewarded quality, while the current net news model rewards quickness and clickbait... It's no coincidence pretty much every single news publication (from minor to major) has turn into a tabloid in the past 5 years.

We expect gaming journos to have a vast knowledge on the history of videogames like they used to but they don't have it anymore. That's why none of them knows exactly what kind of project Shenmue was, nor what kind of budget it needs or why the fans are jumping over flaming loops to give Yu all the money they have.

Sadly most of the new generation of games journos don't even see gaming as a priority, so I can't say I'm surprised with the BS coming out of these trash websites. At this point youtube is a better place for in depth reviews, opinions and news.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: KidMarine
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:21 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: Every Shenmue article posted since the weekend starts with the "I could do with a bit of money' line. Someone needs to send the message to Yu Suzuki that he should stop talking about the game's budget with journalists.

It's comical how a difference of mentality can change your headline. The only pro-Shenmue website I know wrote "Suzuki ready to sacrifice visuals for the story" whereas all the others used the same Yu's quote indeed and even "Suzuki wants more money" for Forbes. Just wow :lol:

I don't blame Yu however. For every word he could have said instead, the result would have been pretty much the same. And it makes clear that people who refuse to help the devs can only blame themselves, whatever they claim. Thank you Yu.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote: Every Shenmue article posted since the weekend starts with the "I could do with a bit of money' line. Someone needs to send the message to Yu Suzuki that he should stop talking about the game's budget with journalists.

It's comical how a difference of behavior can change your headline. The only pro-Shenmue website I know wrote "Suzuki ready to sacrifice visuals for the story" whereas all the others used the same Yu's quote indeed and even "Suzuki wants more money" for Forbes. Just wow :lol:

I don't blame Yu however. For every word he could have said instead, the result would have been pretty much the same. And it makes clear that people who refuse to help the devs can only blame themselves, whatever they claim. Thank you Yu.

Yea sigh, lets be real, Yu is a Legend, and the Shenmue series is very iconic(to anyone alive long enough to have really known about such. Also even in this day, and age, the Shenmue game do so much, that nothing out there can compete with it in the same league, Yu set the bar so impossibly high, that It's hard to believe that Yu, even if he had all the money hey wants, could actually out do himself.

Well anyway yea, add all of that, and the fact there's such a devote fanbase, it make Yu, and Shenmue 3 a easy target.

Nevermind the AJ issue during the KS, just gave them even more fuel to work with(even when yu publically address the misinformation about Sony's involvement, they still didn't apologize sigh), so I don't see the jokes that call them selve games journalists going away for some time.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby xbluemystx » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:52 am

He could have lived like a king with 6 million dollars. But he's spending it all for the fans. And, like I said, working very hard on it.
xbluemystx
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby KidMarine » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:04 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: 10 years ago, journalists had to write something worth paying for. Your occasional reader might get one mag once in a blue moon because the cover looked good but the core costumer base that appreciated good columns/articles was where most of the money came from.

This environment rewarded quality, while the current net news model rewards quickness and clickbait... It's no coincidence pretty much every single news publication (from minor to major) has turn into a tabloid in the past 5 years.

We expect gaming journos to have a vast knowledge on the history of videogames like they used to but they don't have it anymore. That's why none of them knows exactly what kind of project Shenmue was, nor what kind of budget it needs or why the fans are jumping over flaming loops to give Yu all the money they have.

Sadly most of the new generation of games journos don't even see gaming as a priority, so I can't say I'm surprised with the BS coming out of these trash websites. At this point youtube is a better place for in depth reviews, opinions and news.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Games journalism is dead. There is no games journalism. Just clickbait.

The good news is I remember reading a few years back that Polygon is unprofitable for Vox and they had to cut quite a few staff.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:34 am

IGN's report on this is even more taciturn and frustratingly biased than the original. *Sigh*

Oh well. This game, no matter how it turns out and no matter how it does, will forever go down in history for those of us who love the series as proof positive that "anything can happen," and "dreams can come true." It'll also be something we all know we all touched in some way, great or small, and that we can carry with us for the rest of our lives. Even if the rest of gaming at large shuns it, or us, for that. Screw it. :) Shenmue forever.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Monkei » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:07 am

^ They've probably fixed it by now, but all morning (on the IGN app at least) the article said "Shenume" in the title. It's just a typo, but it's a little annoying. Especially when paired with most of the IGN guys' inability to pronounce Shenmue or Ryo Hazuki the right way. I don't know if that's exclusively an IGN problem though, might be an american one. :p
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:18 am

Coxy wrote: Who couldnt do with a bit more money? :)

The paypal funding has been a little disappointing but then funding was disappointing through most of the kickstarter after the shitty articles games journalists wrote (pretty sure polygon was one of them too) :/

It only managed to be such a success thanks to sony giving it a stage and the sincere efforts of fans. It'd be nice if they could have a new trailer for PSX and maybe boost the end of the paypal funding with that

The call for Paypal and the promise of donating fortnightly based on one's pay check or because they can't donate without a credit card was always going to be in the minority.

While it may be disappointing to see the relatively slow trickle of funds, for whatever amount it is, it's still an increase and it all contributes. For this we should be glad some people are still donating while many like ourselves, like me, have funded only through Kickstarter.

At the end of the day, the two larger players Sony & Shibuya will be playing a significant role towards the end of the development to either meet a shortfall to ensure the game is suitably polished for release. If the amounts are ever released, we'll get a good insight on how the funding worked, but I doubt it will.

Shibuya Productions is an interesting funding case, since Cedric is a co-producer, he's promised to fund the game and bought his seat in the development of Shenmue 3 in a big way that our contributions cannot compare to (except maybe Peter. :mrgreen: )

So we'll see. It's a waiting game.

As for click bait sites.. for the love of Shenhua, please don't go to their sites and argue with them.. it's exactly what their after. Let Sony deal with that when the game is closer to release, for that's what publishers do.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KidMarine » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:44 am

Monkei wrote:the article said "Shenume" in the title

Internet journalism in a nutshell.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:34 am

Today Polygon had an op-ed on this as well, and it was borderline sarcastic and admonishing.

I posted the following in response, for what it's worth:

With all due respect, and total deference to everyone’s right to an opinion… to say I disagree with this op-ed, powerfully, would be a massive understatement.

Some facts omitted from all of these recent articles surrounding Shenmue 3 funding.

1) "I could do with some more money!" was said with a smile and a chuckle. Not as an ungrateful demand along the lines of, "We refuse to divulge details but we need more funds pronto!" Yu and co have been nothing but grateful and respectful towards their backers to date.

2) Shenmue is not a profitable franchise. It is an enormous financial risk. No one wanted to touch it. Sony, Shibuya, and other unstated sources are indeed contributing some unspecified amount… but it has been stated that it isn’t anything approaching even half the full budget required for a proper followup to what was one of the most innovative and ambitious examples of game design in history. If it were, Sony would have simply announced it as a PS4 exclusive that they were publishing themselves. There would be no crowdfunding.

3) Crowdfunding is voluntary. People do understand this, yes? No one is holding a gun to anyone’s head here. Kickstarter is charity for creative endeavors. It’s not investment. It’s not purchase. It’s not preorder. It’s charity. Voluntary charity for creative endeavors.

4) It is ridiculously common for crowdfunded projects, through Kickstarter and other platforms, to also raise funds from other sources. Not just PayPal, but also other funding partners. It is equally common for said projects to never specify what the nature, source, or quantity of said funding is. No one is under any obligation to divulge such details and, indeed, there may be agreements prohibiting the parties in question from doing so.

5) Perhaps most importantly… they weren’t even going to do PayPal originally! The backers on Kickstarter hounded them about it, out of sheer desire to see many who complained that they couldn’t use Kickstarter for whatever reason, get the opportunity to back the project as well. They provided PayPal at our request. I can say this as someone present for the entirety of the campaign. This PayPal funding only lasts for a few months. It ends in December. It is not perpetual. (Frankly, I wish it was. Perhaps then we’d get a truly worthy followup, instead of what is likely to be a pared down sequel that cuts corners in order to continue this decade plus old narrative… but it’s still more than I ever hoped to see in a million years, so I’ll gladly take it.)

With the above facts in mind, some questions:

Is anyone upset that Red Ash got a publisher, thus prompting the crowdsourced funds to only be for stretch goals?

Is anyone upset that Deep Silver is publishing Bloodstained?

Is anyone upset that Star Citizen has raised NINETY MILLION dollars through crowdfunding, long after its initial campaign ended?

Why is Shenmue 3 being singled out for this treatment by the gaming press at every turn? Is it simply because of its high profile reveal at E3 by Sony?

Shenmue fans waited for 15 years for something we never, ever thought would happen. Something that never, ever does happen in this industry: a game that was an outright commercial disaster, from a failed platform that ended a major company’s participation in the hardware market, with an arguably niche audience, being revived and against all odds, breaking crowdfunding records.

Our funding of it is voluntary, witting, and passionate. We are, with some exceptions of course as everyone is different, for the most part, all quite happy about it. So what, may I ask, is the problem exactly?

I fully concede that, as a devoted Shenmue fan, I am biased. But there are some serious double, triple, and quadruple standards being applied to Shenmue 3 and its funding. We waited 15 years. Criticism and opposition are everyone’s prerogative. But please consider the above when putting out such messaging on the project. Please.

Thank-you.

Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Gavan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:38 am

Excellent post Anonymous. =D>
Gavan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby KidMarine » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:02 pm

It's important to remember that Polygon received $750,000 in funding from Microsoft just before they launched. It's no coincidence than a Sony exclusive is getting heat.

Compare their review of the PS3 exclusive The Last of Us to everyone else's.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Good going vyse. Hitting them with some of that cutlass fury.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III