Response from Kickstarter Team regarding Shenmue Exhibition

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Response from Kickstarter Team regarding Shenmue Exhibition

Postby Amir » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:20 pm

From the 27th-29th of November there will be an event called the Hyper Japan Christmas Market in London:

http://hyperjapan.co.uk/

The form to apply for a table is here, and the deadline is the 16th of October:

http://form.jotformeu.com/form/50555526371354

I reckon it'd be a great opportunity to raise awareness for the Shenmue III PayPal.

A basic table and chair is pretty steep at £280, but if there's 4 or more of us that'd be less than £70 per person. I've got a small 15" LCD monitor I could bring along (that's how I play on my Dreamcast via VGA) and a copy of the UK game, though if anyone has burned discs of the Jap-dub/Eng-sub version we could go with that instead. I've also got a sealed JP copy I could put on display, and if anyone else has any Shenmue merch they wouldn't mind bringing along to pretty up the table that'd be much appreciated.

I'm planning on spending the whole weekend there but even if you've got just a few hours to spare some of us could take it in shifts for piss breaks/food/games of Lucky Hit.

Speaking of Lucky Hit, if anyone is any good with woodwork it'd be amazing if we had a Lucky Hit board for the table. And if anyone has any capsule toys they're willing to part with or can make their own, we could sell those to go towards the PayPal.

A few fans from the UK Shenmue Meetup "The Long Zha" should be coming along on Sunday the 29th, so even if you don't want to volunteer at the table it'd be great to have your support by just popping by the table and asking us if we know of any bars where sailors hang out.
Last edited by Amir on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amir has received a thanks from: Mr357
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Re: Want to set up a Shenmue table at Hyper Japan in London

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Man I wish I lived in England, I would be so glad to help, and go but it would cost me like 700 to fly there sigh.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shibiryo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:53 am

Amir, I'm from London and would be glad to help. This idea sounds amazing

Shibiryo has received a thanks from: Amir
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Amir » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:50 am

Shibiryo wrote: Amir, I'm from London and would be glad to help. This idea sounds amazing

Thanks, man. I've posted on the Facebook page for the Long Zha. They've already got some great ideas for their meet-up like the Lucky Hit board, YouArcade and 70-man battle tournaments with prizes, but HyperJapan presents an opportunity to get non-fans on board with the PayPal, and maybe wider publicity.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby robatfreedom » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:24 am

Just a quick question - and this sounds really cool, but if you had the game on the screen for people to play - what part of the game would you keep on for people to play?
robatfreedom
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Amir » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:06 am

robatfreedom wrote: Just a quick question - and this sounds really cool, but if you had the game on the screen for people to play - what part of the game would you keep on for people to play?

I think I'd just let people walk around town etc. Maybe at set times in the day have the You Arcade and 70 man battle? You can go to the former at any stage in the game and the latter can be accessed at any time in the options menu on Disc 3.

Open to suggestions!
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby fittersau » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:29 am

I'm no where near London, but as prizes you could make pin badges with slogans like:

"I saved Shenmue 3!"

"It's time for Revenge"

I don't think using existing art will be allowed though. :) Nothing wrong with words.

Lucky Hit games for say $5 a game and a pin can be sourced for around $4. At the end of the day, the margin can be donated to Paypal.

Otherwise just get them to donate directly to Paypal. haha. :P
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KidMarine » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:45 am

Oh man I've got a wedding to go to on the 27th, otherwise I'd love to go and spread the good news of Shenmue's resurrection!
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Amir » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Sent an email to Hyper Japan last night, got a response an hour or so ago:

Hi Amir,

Thanks for your interest in us.
You may be interested in have a table, but unfortunately there is no electricity available for table merchandiser. I guess you need electricity, correct?

Details for Table merchandiser:

http://form.jotformeu.com/form/50555526371354

We might set up a community gaming area where you can be accommodated, but we are still in process of planning. We will contact you if we have this area.

Regards,
HYPER JAPAN

So this is all currently dependent on them having a dedicated gaming area or not.

Here's the email I sent to them last night if anyone wants some kind of boilerplate to plan for a similar event elsewhere:

Hi there,

A few friends and I would like to set up a demonstration of the uniquely Japanese classic video game "Shenmue", along with a display of traditional home-made Pachinko boards and handcrafted Gachapon inspired by the game and Japanese culture in general.

The game itself captures the essence of small-town life in the twilight years of Showa-era Japan, set in Yokosuka in 1986. In the game you can talk to everyone in your town, collect capsule toys, practice karate and jujitsu, buy fish from the supermarket to feed a stray cat, and use the 1980s rotary phone to call your friends or even just to check the weather that day.

It has inspired many Westerners to visit Japan, some even visiting the town of Dobuita, curious to see how closely the virtual Dobuita of the game mirrors its real-world counterpart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfmDm_MKGv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI29cEGLGCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KkgN-b4nvA

With the recent Guinness World Record-breaking Kickstarter for the long-awaited sequel Shenmue III renewing interest in the series, but with many not having a Sega Dreamcast and a copy of the game at hand, we believe fans young and old of Japanese culture would love the opportunity to find out exactly what Shenmue is, and why it inspires such passion and devotion more than 14 years after its release.

We would greatly appreciate a table where we could demonstrate Shenmue and our own Shenmue-inspired works.

We hope to hear from you soon, and are all looking forward to the Hyper Japan Christmas Market.

Kind Regards,

Amir Moosavi
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bloopfruit » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:29 pm

Sounds great if you can figure it out! I'll be there, so if there if you get it sorted and there is anything i can do to help let me know!

Bloopfruit has received a thanks from: Amir
Bloopfruit
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Amir » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:52 pm

I looked at the form again and if I'm reading it correctly then extra exhibitor passes are £30 + VAT (I'm guessing that's £36 total at 20% VAT). To be honest if that's the case I think this might be prohibitively expensive, will wait to hear back from Hyper Japan.

In the mean time, I was looking at gallery spaces in London, this site lets you budget accordingly. There's a bunch of spaces available from £150 an evening or even £14 an hour:

https://hirespace.com/Home/SearchMap?se ... ilter=null

https://hirespace.com/Spaces/London/196 ... ery/Events

https://hirespace.com/Spaces/London/673 ... ace/Events

https://hirespace.com/Spaces/London/130 ... ent/Events

https://hirespace.com/Spaces/London/130 ... llery/Arts

What do you guys think? If it's a good idea I'll go ahead and try to contact Cedric/Ys Net to see if we can get some kind of approval or official support, would love to get something going before the PayPal ends. If they could send us some PDFs of art prints then we could print them and frame them ourselves around the gallery (will look into getting a John Sweeney print like in my sig if we go ahead with this).
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shibiryo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue 1) To Nozomi wrote:If it's what you've decided, it's what you've decided
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Amir » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:16 pm

Was thinking more about hiring a venue for a Shenmue exhibition so I sent this email to Sega and YsNet, and also tweeted a screengrab of it to Cedric:

To Whom It May Concern,

A few of us Shenmue fans would like to host a Shenmue-themed exhibition in London to raise awareness and money for the Shenmue III PayPal campaign and the series as a whole.

With the recent Guinness World Record-breaking Kickstarter for the long-awaited sequel Shenmue III renewing interest in the series, but with many not having a Sega Dreamcast and a copy of the game at hand, we believe gamers young and old and fans of Japanese culture would love the opportunity to find out exactly what Shenmue is, and why it inspires such passion and devotion more than 14 years after its release.

The exhibition would have a display of traditional home-made Pachinko boards and handcrafted Gachapon inspired by the game, as well as framed art prints. If we could receive some of Yu Suzuki's and Kenji Miyawaki's concept art, even in PDF form, we could print and frame the works ourselves around the exhibition. We're also considering purchasing a print of John Sweeney's recent licensed work to show how Shenmue continues to inspire fans and professionals alike in the gaming community.

We would provide our own Dreamcasts and monitors/projectors to display the games so newcomers can have their first chance of walking around the streets of 1986 Dobuita and explore the now long-gone vertiginous Walled City of Kowloon, before finding serenity in the breathtaking forests of Guilin in the final moments of Shenmue II.

We would greatly appreciate your support and blessing in going ahead with this Shenmue Exhibition. All profits made after venue hire costs would go towards the Shenmue III PayPal campaign to help . Any guidelines or suggestions would definitely be adhered to, as we do not wish to misrepresent Shenmue in any way.

We hope to hear from you soon, and are all looking forward to the release of Shenmue III after all these years.

Kind Regards,

Amir Moosavi
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Response from Kickstarter Team regarding Shenmue Exhibit

Postby Amir » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:45 pm

Within the span of a few hours I received two responses from the Kickstarter team regarding having a Shenmue Exhibition. As expected, it would require permission from Sega which would take some time.

Hello Amir,

We at the Kickstarter team are delighted to hear of fans wanting to support Shenmue in this way.

I have taken the liberty to forward your message to the Ys Net team.

We will contact you with their response as soon as we can.

Thank you very much for all your support.

Sincerely,

Oscar &
The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team

Hello Amir,

We have already gotten a response concerning the Shenmue exhibition.

In order for us to officially support a project like this, and possibly provide you with artwork or other things , we will first need Sega's permission since they own the rights to Shenmue.

We would have to submit your project to Sega for review, and it will most likely take a lot of time until the details with Sega are worked out.

In regards to this we would like to ask you there is already a planned schedule of when the exhibition would take place.

Also if you would have any mock-ups, documents or material that would give us a concrete idea of the exhibition, please forward these to our email
( [email protected] ) so we can present them to Sega for review.

If you have any more questions feel free to contact us through here or through email.

Thanks again for your support.

Best regards,

Oscar &
The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team

I'm currently writing a piece on Shenmue but once that is done I'll spend the rest of the week coming up with mock-ups and documents for the exhibition. If anyone else wants to help that would be amazing!

Amir has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, Yokosuka
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue III